FAQ - Cold Air Intake - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > FAQ - Cold Air Intake

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #16
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippert View Post
you have Mac's thing?
Yup. So here is the only pic I can post until he gets them on the market which should be soon.

You do really feel the power increase. I have not checked the mileage yet.

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #17
JeepGirl04
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman View Post
If the spark plugs are wires are good,I would clean the TPS and IAC.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...erry+bransford

VERY cool. Thanks for this... I might have a go at it this weekend!
JeepGirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #18
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl04 View Post
VERY cool. Thanks for this... I might have a go at it this weekend!
You're welcome.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #19
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Glad the info was helpful...now we just need it STICKIE so people stop asking about intakes!!!
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #20
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...Notice they showed a gain of 6 hp and 4 lb-ft of torque at around 4500rpm....
I dynoed my Mustang and I saw a 5.3 HP gain & 6.1 lb-ft torque gain from the 1st pull compared to the 3rd pull and each time the engine was fully up to operating temperature. I might believe the JP magazine gains if the magazine ran 10 pulls without the intake add-on installed and then 10 pulls with the intake add-on installed. Then the differences noted between each pull before and after was a minimum 6hp, I would honestly say that the pipe give a 6hp gain. Otherwise it's snake oil.
Unread 06-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #21
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

to the top for CAI questions
Unread 07-07-2008, 07:43 AM   #22
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Updated and added two recent homebrew cowl CAIs under Write ups.
Unread 11-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #23
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

back to the top since newbies cant search.
Unread 11-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #24
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

just sold my AEM Cold Air Intake + throttle body spacer for 50 bucks. oil style filter and all. I can tell you the TB spacer doesn't do squat, I ran it for the past 6 months or so with a 63mm TB, and there is no difference with or without it. The 63mm TB however does breath better at higher RPMs, and you can feel it when you downshift on the highway.
Unread 12-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #25
sierraclimber1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Volant Cold Air Intake Review

I did a lot of research figuring out what to get and thought I would write a quick review in case someones interested.

In JP magazines April 08 issue. They test 10 different CAI units and dyno test the results compared to stock. Almost every CAI actually added 10 hp and 10ft pounds of torque over stock.

When I started shopping for CAI's I thought it would be a good idea to leave the option open to add a snorkle down the line. Volant is the only one that makes an enclosed air box on their CAI so you can attach a snorkle later.

If you don't like the look of the Volant snorkle it would be pretty easy to hook up ARB's instead.

The kit installed in about 15 minutes and used the old airboxes bolt holes through the fender. The air box, filter element and ducting are all way bigger than stock.

Is there more power? Not until you go over 2,000 rpm and are really heavy on the skinny pedal. Also when you floor it there is more engine noise, but in a good way. Like a custom exhaust has been installed.

I like driving fast and appreciate feeling a little more power during acceleration. I also tested it going up hills that I am used to driving and the jeep didn't need to downshift as much.

Below 2,000 rpm and under normal driving conditions there really isn't any difference.

Mine cost just under $300 so its on par or cheaper than the other brands. All in all it works and I would recommend it!

Happy jeepin!
Unread 01-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #26
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Update:

I've been monitoring the IAT via my ScanGuage vs the ambient temp via the auto dimming mirror. I've got the horn removed on the stock airbox. So far the past 2 weeks, the highest temp I've seen out of the IAT has been around 80*F - with an ambient temp of about 50*F, and that was when idling at a long stop light. The faster the vehicle travels, the colder the IAT gets - even down to 30*F on the highway when its ~15*F outside. So far on the street the actual intake temp seems to run at twice the ambient at the hottest while idling. As soon as you start moving it drops.
Unread 01-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #27
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Update:

I've been monitoring the IAT via my ScanGuage vs the ambient temp via the auto dimming mirror. I've got the horn removed on the stock airbox. So far the past 2 weeks, the highest temp I've seen out of the IAT has been around 80*F - with an ambient temp of about 50*F, and that was when idling at a long stop light. The faster the vehicle travels, the colder the IAT gets - even down to 30*F on the highway when its ~15*F outside. So far on the street the actual intake temp seems to run at twice the ambient at the hottest while idling. As soon as you start moving it drops.
So it's sucking cold air. Interesting. I'd like to see results of this in the summer as well. Another reason for me to get a scan gauge I guess!
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 01-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #28
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
So it's sucking cold air. Interesting. I'd like to see results of this in the summer as well. Another reason for me to get a scan gauge I guess!
it was about 36*F yesterday and in 30 minutes of rush hour, 0mph-35mph stop and go, bumper to bumper road rage inspiring traffic I saw about 90*F IAT, but it dropped to ~70-80*F after getting some open road @ 45mph. what was real interesting is drafting - I noticed a 10*F increase while 'tailgating' a PT Cruiser - she didn't know how to drive: on the phone, all over the road, 35mph in a 45 zone .

I will check in the summer...IIRC, when I first got the ScanGuage I saw a 126*F temp...but I'm guessing the consistent result will be twice that of ambient, assuming you're driving 40+mph, without drafting. So 90*F ambient temp would theoretically yield around 170-190*F IAT temp. I may play around with adding a short PVC tube to the stock airbox to pull in air from behind the headlight. keep in mind i've got a 2004, so my IAT is in the manifold, so the actual air temp may be less in the intake tube itself.
Unread 01-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #29
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Good info. But. It is not a "cold" air intake unless it gets the air from someplace other than under that hot hood IMHO. I think AEM calls theirs a "Cool" air system, it may be someone else. You will not see any significant power gains unless you are actually getting cold air. This means air from elsewhere than under the hood and an insulated intake pipe. Most, if not all intakes they sell on the after market pick up air from the same place the stock system does. All that hot radiator air is coming right into the intake. Some of the systems put a dam affair in there, but I seriously doubt it is very effective. I am not knocking any intakes out there, but I would not call them a CAI unless they were getting the cold outside the hood air. My intake is sealed off from the hood and pulls air in from the cowl. The intake tube is also insulated. My "seat of the pants" dyno was very impressed. I would love to see dyno readings on this system. I have not checked mileage yet, but others are averaging betwen 50 and 70 more miles per tank. If they can get the price right on this deal it'll sell like hotcakes. It also filters the A/C air so the cab and vents stay cleaner.

Cold air can be a big thing, but normally not something that should be highly considered on Jeeps. Reson being, a engine that is either blown or turboed only makes 1% more hp for every 10 degrees the temperature drops(if you are not heating the charge that is coming in, which you are). I do not know what the number is for a naturally aspirated engine, but it has got to be lower.

So lets guess and say its .5% for a naturally aspirated engine. We have 190hp on our I6 engines. So lets say the question is how much hp do I gain when if the temperature drops from 100 degrees down to 50 degrees? That would be 5 incriments of 10 so we would times .005 by 5 and get .025. Now we would take that and multiply it by 190 hp.

I know we are estimating but that would mean that you only gain 4.75 hp with a 50 degrees in temperature difference.

Not to mention the fact that Unlimited04 is saying that there is a huge drop in temp when you get up to speed because of the increased air flow. It would be hard to believe that a filter that is in the cowl is getting more or colder air from one that is sitting behind the headlight.

You can claim that the filter is in the engine comparment and thats the reason its not a CAI, but the simple fact is, is we drive our Jeeps, most are looking for hp down the road (while fresh air is streaming in, that is cooler), not hp at idle where the filter needs to be in a place that is the coolest at that moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #30
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
Cold air can be a big thing, but normally not something that should be highly considered on Jeeps.
I know we are estimating but that would mean that you only gain 4.75 hp with a 50 degrees in temperature difference.
I also seriously doubt my system is giving me a huge HP gain. But the improvement in the Jeep's drivability is truly day and night. I guess you can call this seat of the pants or whatever, but it is very noticeable. I am suspecting it has something to do with cold air of course, but also probably something with the IAT sensor getting a different reading. Throttle response is emmensly better. Get up and go is remarkably better. And no doubt it gets better mileage. Dyno results may be the same as stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
You can claim that the filter is in the engine comparment and thats the reason its not a CAI, but the simple fact is, is we drive our Jeeps, most are looking for hp down the road (while fresh air is streaming in, that is cooler), not hp at idle where the filter needs to be in a place that is the coolest at that moment.
A guy who has the same system I do stuck a thermometer in the stock air box and the temps in there, even going down the road, can get up there. Under the hood is hot as all get out even at 60 MPH. Hence, we old timers are known to heat up Burritos under the hood! Yes, a lot more cooler air comes into the intake at hiway speed than at idle, but the same can be said of a cowl system except the cowl induced air is always gonna be cooler. A huge key is to insulate the intake system under the hood and have the IAT sensor in the tube not the manifold and insulate it as well. Definately makes for a snappy Jeep.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.