FAQ - Cold Air Intake - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > FAQ - Cold Air Intake

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #196
mystangt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
I have a quick question for all you CAI gurus. I have an airraid intake that came on my jeep. The filter is completly clogged with mud and dirt and looks like it has been stepped on and smooshed. I know you can clean those type of filters, but I am wondering if its better to go buy a new air filter and be easy on it. They make no paper air filters I can find that will find my airraid intake. Thanks guys.

What I would personally do is clean it up and make sure that there are NO holes in it (from being stepped on). Then separate any crushed fins (no need to go crazy, just open them a bit).

If there are no holes in, id let it soak in hot water and dawny for about an hour or so and then rinse it with a hose from the inside outwards, let it dry, oil it up (lightly) and pop it back in.

If its ripped however, just junk it and replace it...although they are $50-60.

Just as a reference point, I have had the same K&N that ive been carrying from car to car for about 5 years now. I clean it every 6 months and its been holding up fantastic. As a matter fact, I just put it on the new-to-me 4.0 TJ last night after washing it!

mystangt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #197
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdock View Post

...but thats good research man. i just disagree. but if your ever in my town ill show you how much power difference it is.

... even my mom noticed the difference
Yeah, I disagree with facts all the time too. So what if the air mixes with the fuel well AFTER it passes the throttle body spacer? My mom says it looks cool! ...and moms know everything about automobiles. She even pumped her own gas once!

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #198
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The fins are all crushed and its semi flattened instead of round like it supposed to be. I can get a new one for around 40 bucks or so.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #199
mystangt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The fins are all crushed and its semi flattened instead of round like it supposed to be. I can get a new one for around 40 bucks or so.
Get a new one and take care of it (unlike the PO) and it'll last ya for years to come!

Unread 06-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #200
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
$40 is cheap in the long run. I wouldn't chance it and just buy the replacement.

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #201
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

will do thanks guys. Doing little things cause i might sell it cause im having a newborn son (first child woohoo) in september
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #202
mystangt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats!!!
Unread 06-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #203
Wild Rye

OK, so I've got a K&N from the previous owner, not CARB certified so it won't pass smog. I don't mind going back to the stock air box but I'm not having much luck finding one. Any suggestions?
Wild Rye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #204
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Rye View Post
OK, so I've got a K&N from the previous owner, not CARB certified so it won't pass smog. I don't mind going back to the stock air box but I'm not having much luck finding one. Any suggestions?

IIRC all K&N CAI are CARB before they release them. Whats the problem? The filter or the whole thing? If its the filter go buy a cheap ricer paper one for the test. That or a buddy with a stock set-up and throw it on for the test and then switch back. Many ways around that problem, Good luck
Unread 10-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #205
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got a question for you guy's

How much cfm does a 4.0 need?

I'd like to use a donaldson pre cleaner on a cowl snorkel setup, but need to know which size to spec out based on how much cfm the intake will need to flow.
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #206
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit455 View Post
How much cfm does a 4.0 need?
4.0L sucks about 385 cfm at WOT at redline. the stock throttle body flows about 450 cfm.

Source: 2000 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L Inline 6 - Stroker - Four Wheeler Magazine
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #207
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

those that always reference the JP Magazine for Intake Shootouts should read this:

Quote:
Sometime between the last test and this one, we had formed a working theory that it wasn't so much the air filter as the air tube that makes the power in these kits. With most, if not all, aftermarket air intakes, the air filter itself can flow more air than the Jeep can use. Sure, there are varying degrees of restriction from one filter to the next, but on a stock 4.0l engine we just aren't convinced that a significant result will be seen at the wheels from the air filter alone.
from their recent "Intake Shootout"
Jeep TJ Wrangler - Intake Shootout - Jp Magazine
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #208
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i actually had a guy tell me he added 2.5 mpg and a few HP by adding a CAI and throttle body. he refused to listen to what i said.. he then said above 10,000ft is when he could really tell the difference.. i then asked him if he noticed it going down the moutain and he said yup!
Unread 12-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #209
Moto4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So i should sell my Airaid cold air intake, and get a stock air intake and use the money towards other gear like new tires. Sorry i know this is kinda old but if anyone wants to answer, thats cool with me
Moto4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #210
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4x4 View Post
So i should sell my Airaid cold air intake, and get a stock air intake and use the money towards other gear like new tires. Sorry i know this is kinda old but if anyone wants to answer, thats cool with me
Good idea. If you want a real cold air intake call the guy at Skinnypetal.com and ask him if he has anymore MCAI's available. I have the older version of this on mine and it works great. I can actually feel the power increase and it has the added advantage of filtering the cab air when you have the top on and it dual filters the intake air. It also gets the air inlet up a little higher.

This is the intake:
http://skinnypedal.net/store/index.p...roducts_id=108

He doesn't show the cowl scoop and filter, but call and ask.

The cowl scoop and filter was originally developed to just filter the interior/cab air so dust can be eliminated entering the A/C system and plugging the evaporator and heater core and had the added benefit of letting you breath better on dusty trails. Skinnypetal bought the idea from that guy but it could be it is no longer available. It used the stock Jeep air filter in the cowl vent.

Here is the cowl scoop and filter on mine.

I have the older intake design which uses a GM paper filter. The skinnypetal uses a conical filter.

I suggest you call or email them and ask.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.