FAQ - Cold Air Intake - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > FAQ - Cold Air Intake

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #136
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i've been waiting like 3 years to see this thing.

JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #137
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
Pretty sweet. I like the idea of the prefilter, though I wonder how it'll work with dust and mud getting on it and such. Maybe wrapping the prefilter in pantyhose or something might be a good idea?

$350, though? Really? Are there at least any real-world miles on that setup with oil analysis showing silica levels and such? Any dyno runs or meticulously logged mileage numbers (without a change in driving habits/styles, of course)? I mean, I like the idea, and I don't want to be sold a pack of marketing lies, especially for that price, but I think I could maybe be talked into it...
there's a huge thread about the MCAI on ROF. i'd link it but JF ******'s links to external forums.

just go to rubicon owners forum, and search for a thread w/ "MCAI" in the title. it'll prolly be at the top.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #138
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

That filter is in upside down on the MCAI you tube video. The pleats are not going to do the job they are there for, as well as the screen being on the wrong side. I would see if they have a fix in the works on that before you get too excited.
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #139
bojang
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Pretty sweet. I like the idea of the prefilter, though I wonder how it'll work with dust and mud getting on it and such. Maybe wrapping the prefilter in pantyhose or something might be a good idea?

$350, though? Really? Are there at least any real-world miles on that setup with oil analysis showing silica levels and such? Any dyno runs or meticulously logged mileage numbers (without a change in driving habits/styles, of course)? I mean, I like the idea, and I don't want to be sold a pack of marketing lies, especially for that price, but I think I could maybe be talked into it...
There are atleast 15-20 guys on ROF that have them. They seem to all be getting @2+ mpg better. I don't recall any dyno numbers but everyone who had one seemed very impressed with it. I will be getting one.

Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that I ask for.

Never trust a lumpy fart.
bojang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #140
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayseed View Post
You finally got them on the market heh? Has been a long time in R&D.

Nice!

BTW, my cowl CAI with OEM air box and filter is still doing what I want it to.
I was just thinking "surely you could use the stock setup in a similar way". Nice product but $350? ....no thanks not for now. Now if it gave you like 15 HP and truly gave you 2 MPG then sure ...but just how effective is it (likely not this much)? Anyway it's the best I've seen though if I had to wager and it's neat that it filters the cabin air too. lol I see a fabbed up version (like Hay's) or a used Banks or MCAI in my future.
05Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #141
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

CAI into the cowl is definitely the way to go, but when you can fab one up using a Buick or Ford Airbox for less then $50 I don't see MCAI as making alot of sense.
Unread 10-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #142
kswyg001
2010 JK Wrangler 

Here's another pic for your thread. It seems weird that after driving for a little while, my 'cold air intake' is actually very warm. The heat from the engine compartment warms the aluminum tube that moves the air from the 'cool' spot to the TB. So yes, it pulls 'cooler' air but as it goes to the TB it is warmed up. I do not believe this 'cold air intake' is worth anyone's time. If I didn't buy the Jeep like this then I wouldn't have a 'cold air intake' on it.

Use the pic freely for anything. Also- it's a KoolVue CAI
kswyg001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #143
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillswoj View Post
CAI into the cowl is definitely the way to go, but when you can fab one up using a Buick or Ford Airbox for less then $50 I don't see MCAI as making alot of sense.
Can someone expound upon this a bit? ...like which Buick intake (I own a Buick Riviera haha)? I have another question about the whole cowl thing in general .....does it interfere with clearance for the windshield being folded down? Not that I'll use that feature often if ever ...just thinking ahead .....

I so desperately want more power for this 4.0 but nothing seems practical or worthwhile. Like I said it seems like an LS3 swap or a used Vortech kit might be somewhere in my future ...but I'd like some minor but significant power upgrade right now, esp if it would help mileage. We just don't have any real dyno numbers yet for Hypercrap or CAI or other ....would be nice at some point. Anyone experiment with hotter or colder plugs or anything like that? .....I think an LS-3 would be soooo awesome. Wonder how much torque the 6-speed and stock clutch can handle? Not that I'd be racing and banging gears ...I'd respect it but at least hope it could hold WOT in the power gears. Gotta do something ....this 4.0 isn't bad but I just want more. At least to be on the plus side of 200 HP would be nice .....
Unread 10-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #144
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Unlimited View Post
Can someone expound upon this a bit? ...like which Buick intake (I own a Buick Riviera haha)? I have another question about the whole cowl thing in general .....does it interfere with clearance for the windshield being folded down? Not that I'll use that feature often if ever ...just thinking ahead .....
read the series of write-ups linked at the end of the first post.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #145
George Dickel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I so desperately want more power for this 4.0 but nothing seems practical or worthwhile. Like I said it seems like an LS3 swap or a used Vortech kit might be somewhere in my future ...but I'd like some minor but significant power upgrade right now, esp if it would help mileage. We just don't have any real dyno numbers yet for Hypercrap or CAI or other ....would be nice at some point. Anyone experiment with hotter or colder plugs or anything like that? .....I think an LS-3 would be soooo awesome. Wonder how much torque the 6-speed and stock clutch can handle? Not that I'd be racing and banging gears ...I'd respect it but at least hope it could hold WOT in the power gears. Gotta do something ....this 4.0 isn't bad but I just want more. At least to be on the plus side of 200 HP would be nice .....
sounds like you need to search Stroker threads...plenty of power. And take a look at some of those threads that 04 put together.
12 Counterweight 258 Crank (cut snout-casting #3214723), Sealed Power +.030 Hypereutectic Pistons, 5.875" Connecting Rods, CompCams 68-231-4, Ported/Polished Head, Edelbrock Header, 24# Ford Blue-top Injectors, 63mm bored OEM Throttle Body, Port matched Intake, Autolite Platinum plugs, Accel Coil, LiveWires Distributor & Wires, Centerforce Clutch, Hurst Shifter, modified Mustang GT Air Cannister - CAI, 18" Magnaflow and 2 1/2" exhaust, Balanced Rotating Assembly, Custom PCM tune.
Yeah, I built it!

Exhaust clip: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUOa4LqRn0&feature=youtu.be[/url]

[B]'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L[/B]
Light modifications[/SIZE]

[I][B]Read more, Post less, Search often[/B][/I]
George Dickel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #146
Bigbob

Quote:

Ditto, 4.7 is what you want.

If you use your Jeep for a street rod you want a V-8 engine. The 4.0 in stock mode is a darn good off road engine. The stroker retains much or even surpasses the off road capability, but also adds a lot of power fo the street.

I am fairly certain Chrysler is coming out with a 4.7 crate engine for the Jeep which will have a warranty.

Look Here:

Mopar Underground Big Red Ram 1500 & XJ Stroker - Easter Jeep Safari - Travel & Adventure - Truck Trend

I'd rather have something like that in my LJ than a Hemi.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #147
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

05Unlimited, what size tires do you have? If you've got 33's or even worse 35's with your 3.73 gearing, I can already see the problem.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #148
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
read the series of write-ups linked at the end of the first post.
Thanks, most options seem to be likely not worth the time/effort/dinero (as you elude to overall). I mean, the only power difference is due to cold air (not improved intake flow) which is only like 1% for every 10* ambient. As far as better mileage, I thought the rule of thumb is that usually cooler air is less MPG even though it's more power, maybe that's only when it gets really cold outside though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dickel View Post
sounds like you need to search Stroker threads...plenty of power. And take a look at some of those threads that 04 put together.
No doubt, very knowledgeable. Bad thing about stroker is mpg is bad enough already ..it's only going to be worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Ditto, 4.7 is what you want.

If you use your Jeep for a street rod you want a V-8 engine. The 4.0 in stock mode is a darn good off road engine. The stroker retains much or even surpasses the off road capability, but also adds a lot of power fo the street.

I am fairly certain Chrysler is coming out with a 4.7 crate engine for the Jeep which will have a warranty.

Look Here:

Mopar Underground Big Red Ram 1500 & XJ Stroker - Easter Jeep Safari - Travel & Adventure - Truck Trend

I'd rather have something like that in my LJ than a Hemi.
Sounds awesome! Again though my 4.0 has less than 40K and I don't want to mess with it now other than minor bolt on's. What I'm really getting at is ...which bolt on's are worthwhile? ..seemingly none AFAIK. Down the road a crate 4.7 would be very nice at 260 HP 290 TQ! Would an LSx V8 really be a bad choice? Chevy LSx engines get great MPG and have loads of torque and power bone stock, even right off idle ...plus they're relatively light. I would think they're a good candidate but maybe not due to various fitment issues. Thinking of all the junkyard Camaros, GTO's, etc out there.

Quote:
05Unlimited, what size tires do you have? If you've got 33's or even worse 35's with your 3.73 gearing, I can already see the problem.
You bring up something I'm curious about even though I'm on stock 30x9.5 tires. Tires will need to be replaced next spring/summer and I was considering switching up to 31x10.5. I have stock 3.73's and 6-speed ...this 6-speed has a relatively low 1st gear and really all of the gears are somewhat low so maybe a slight gearing increase due to a mere 1" in tire height won't negatively affect throttle response so much? Any issues going to 31x10.50 with stock suspension/fenders? I realize I could search on this but thought I'd ask in case someone doesn't mind answering specific questions. Here's what I suspect the overall effect to be when switching to 31x10.5 from 30x9.5: Mileage will hopefully be unaffected; tires are an inch wider and create more rolling resistance and wind drag, yes it's a negative effect on MPG. However, tires being taller increases gearing which likely will have a slightly positive effect on MPG ....so it's a wash with MPG hopefully. Handling will likely be unaffected if not ...improved; yes I realize the center of gravity goes up a little bit, however, there is more of a percentage increase in tire width than height with this switch ....which should be beneficial to handling in two ways, less "tire roll" in turns and a greater contact patch. Performance on the road may suffer very slightly if any at all due to the taller gearing and increased tire/road friction/resistance (however off the line traction will improve). Perhaps not though because this transmission seems geared a little too low for optimal street performance (especially 1st gear). Maybe say a 0 - 60MPH run will actually be quicker with taller tires due to the gearing better matching the torque curve of the engine for street use? Performance off the road will be a wash because IMO it's a negative in that you're gearing it higher, but it's a positive that you have greater ground clearance and more of a contact patch. I realize 1" in tire size is not going to change gearing very significantly ....but it's still there none the less. This is an overkill amount of analysis for going up one tire size but I always think things through vastly before I ever start. So those of you with 31x10.5's on otherwise stock LJ's ...how do you like them and what are your answers about performance on and off the road? Have you noticed an impact on MPG? Surely it looks better with 31x10.5 tires ....that has to be the one thing most all would agree on BTW in case it's pertinent to my questions I WILL NOT be doing any suspension upgrades other than future stock-type shock replacements that are a step or two over stock (like a Koni or whatever), this Jeep is slated to be my daily driver once I sell my Buick Riviera. Haha I'll shut up now ....anyone care to tell me about 31x10.50
s on their otherwise stock LJ's shoot me a msg, thanks. BTW I'm going to put this part of the post in another forum more appropriate ...
Unread 11-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #149
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My own personal opinion is that 31's on 3.73's with the 6-speed will be fine. Not quite as quick as stock, but if someone had never driven one like that, they'd never know the difference. 33's, though, are...tolerable. 35's would just be a pain in the ***. Ask me how I know
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2009, 08:18 AM   #150
unlimited4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So, I have read through all 10 pages of this post....I see alot of opinions and statements of testing regarding the CAI. Both for and against. It's tough to ingore the voice of experience also. I have thought about this mod. It's something I would do myself, so it would be a low budget improvement. So my question is, why is it when it is 90+ degrees here in FL my jeep feels sluggish and now that it is cooler (50'-70 degrees) I defineitely feel a better throttle response? I like it for sure, but is that the only real gain for the 4.0 by installing a true CAI? I'd like to have the throttle response during the summer months. Will pulling outside 90 degree air result in better throttle response vs pulling from the hot engine compartment?
unlimited4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.