fan switch connector - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > fan switch connector

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-16-2011, 06:16 AM   #46
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapenick View Post
Couldn't the hot wire that is currently supplying the switch be used to power the relays?
Yes it could, but then you will be using a circuit that was not designed for that. Meaning that the wire is already undersized as it is and adding an additional load to that circuit could cause it to fail. Then you would be back in the same boat, so to speak. Best is to run the hot wire fused straight to the battery.

JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #47
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Latest - the compressor is running all the time. Even when the mode selector is on vent or heat. I'm guessing that the compressor switch on the mode selector switch is shorted ... don't really want to buy a new mode selector switch just for that.. thinking about putting a toggle switch in. Thoughts?
tapenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #48
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapenick View Post
Latest - the compressor is running all the time. Even when the mode selector is on vent or heat. I'm guessing that the compressor switch on the mode selector switch is shorted ... don't really want to buy a new mode selector switch just for that.. thinking about putting a toggle switch in. Thoughts?
It's been done before. I think Knucklehead did it so he could run the defroster without the compressor running.
Did you do the relay mod?
Unread 11-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #49
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a relay on high speed... going to do med-hi next. If I remember correctly there are three wires on that switch... guess I need to dig the schematic back up to see which to use.
Unread 11-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #50
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Update -
Looks like the electrical part of the Mode Selector switch is shorted out. Looking at the schematics, the light green wire goes to the A/C select in the Control Module. I disconnected it and the compressor stopped running. Now I just need to add a switch so I can make it run when I want / need it to!

Attaching a pic in case someone is chasing the same issue later... can barely see the red oval I made around the A/C control connector on the right. On that connector there's a black wire in the bottom position that provides constant ground (basically for the entire HVAC control system), dark green wire in the middle (red in my pic) that provides switched ground to the controls (e.g. fan doesn't run if the Mode Selector is in the Off position), and light green in the top position (white in my pic) that goes to the A/C select as stated above. Sorry about the wire color confusion, I had to chop out wire w/ melted insulation and used different colors.

One step closer. Still only have high speed working and some sort of ground feedback issue causing the relay to not shut off when the resistor is connected. Next step is probably going to be to run new wire from the fan switch to the relay as I suspect the wires are shorted.

Tom
92 XJ
94 YJ
98 ZJ
00 TJ
ac_switch.jpg  

Tags
fan switch , connector , replacement , fix , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.