fan switch connector - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > fan switch connector

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 08-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #31
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I checked with the local Jeep specific salvage yard.. he said most of the ones he got in were at least partially damaged. Guess I'll just use some insulated female connectors.

tapenick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #32
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Was actually able to just cut the plastic off of the factory connector, wrap the bare connectors with electrical tape, and reassemble. Working on high... guess I still have some sort of problem in the resistor circuit.
Unread 08-20-2010, 07:48 AM   #33
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Yep, this is a two fold problem and both work together to screw things up. Undersized wires and worn blower motors are the culprit. First the blower motor start to show its age and when it does it wants to pull more current through those undersized wires. That along with the crappy idea of using a 5 amp switch to control a 30 amp blower motor is just stupid. Install a 40 amp relay in the circuit so now the switch controls the relay which in turn controls the blower motor and you have fixed JEEPS screw up in design.

When I changed blower motors you could different feel the difference in the way they spun, even though the old one still worked.

My concern is that even with larger wires at the switch of the relay fix what else you melt. I still think it is a good idea to change out the blower motor, it seems to be the source of the problem.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #34
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapenick View Post
Update - replaced the connector.. still no fan. Check fuses, good. Even though it wasn't even working on high I went to check the resistor .. found the attached pic.

Question is, why wouldn't it work on high?
bad fan switch? bad mode switch?

Unread 08-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #35
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
When I changed blower motors you could different feel the difference in the way they spun, even though the old one still worked.

My concern is that even with larger wires at the switch of the relay fix what else you melt. I still think it is a good idea to change out the blower motor, it seems to be the source of the problem.
Yep, I've changed the motor.
Unread 08-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #36
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
bad fan switch? bad mode switch?
Not sure what it was called.. probably the 'mode switch'. Anyway.. the problem was the connector on the switch that was in that picture.

So working on high now.. but not other speeds. Will continue debugging in the resistor circuit this weekend.
Unread 08-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #37
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not sure what it was called.. probably the 'mode switch'. Anyway.. the problem was the connector on the switch that was in that picture.

So working on high now.. but not other speeds. Will continue debugging in the resistor circuit this weekend.
Probably the resistor than. The mode switch, or at least what I call the mode switch, is the one that controls AC/Max AC and the vent petitions. It has both electrical and vacuum connections.

Unread 07-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #38
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Update - dead again. New motor, new switches, connectors, etc.. appears to have melted a bunch of it again. I'll be doing the relay mod this time.. amazing that this circuit was so poorly engineered.

Question - I noticed that some folks are putting a relay on all four speeds... is this necessary? Figured high was the only one pulling enough current to cook stuff?

Tom
Unread 07-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #39
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Once you get the positive and negitive wires routed it wouldn't take much more to put all 4 in. Did you ever replace the resistor? If you only had high, did you leave it blowing for very long?
Unread 07-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #40
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Update - dead again. New motor, new switches, connectors, etc.. appears to have melted a bunch of it again. I'll be doing the relay mod this time.. amazing that this circuit was so poorly engineered.

Question - I noticed that some folks are putting a relay on all four speeds... is this necessary? Figured high was the only one pulling enough current to cook stuff?

Tom
I started off by adding the relays to the 2 highest settings as they pull more current. I have then since gone back and added 2 more for the lower settings just because. BTW 3rd speed is what when out on mine the first 2 times. So it pulls enough current to melt as well.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #41
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuder View Post
Once you get the positive and negitive wires routed it wouldn't take much more to put all 4 in. Did you ever replace the resistor? If you only had high, did you leave it blowing for very long?
Embarrassed - but I never did replace the resistor. In my defense, a little bit of "out of sight, out of mind".. my daughter drives the 2000 most of the time. And yes - I'm sure she runs the fan on high constantly.

Understand on the bulk of the work being getting the positive and negative in... guess I'll go ahead and do all four.

I won't be going back with the Jeep connectors this time.. think I'll just do insulated female connectors. I'm thinking back though - seems I recall that there were some places without enough room to used insulated connectors. Guess I'll use heat shrink there. Hopefully not enough heat when I get the relays in to cause trouble.

Being lazy - anyone know off the top of their head the best place to pull ground and the best place to come through the firewall with positive?

Tom
Unread 07-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #42
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Embarrassed - but I never did replace the resistor. In my defense, a little bit of "out of sight, out of mind".. my daughter drives the 2000 most of the time. And yes - I'm sure she runs the fan on high constantly.

Understand on the bulk of the work being getting the positive and negative in... guess I'll go ahead and do all four.

I won't be going back with the Jeep connectors this time.. think I'll just do insulated female connectors. I'm thinking back though - seems I recall that there were some places without enough room to used insulated connectors. Guess I'll use heat shrink there. Hopefully not enough heat when I get the relays in to cause trouble.

Being lazy - anyone know off the top of their head the best place to pull ground and the best place to come through the firewall with positive?

Tom
First off I just replaced the connectors and used heat shrink tubing, and it works. The positive wire I ran straight to the battery and fused to an opening right next to the brake pedal to the left side. On mine there were wires going thru there anyway. For the ground I found a spot that had other ground wires attached to the body next to the brake pedal. The bulk of the work for me was fabricating up the relay harness that I made to splice into the fan speed switch. That said the whole mod took about 30 minutes to do.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #43
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Couldn't the hot wire that is currently supplying the switch be used to power the relays?
Unread 08-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #44
vschlueter

is there any more data on this - I have a 99 TJ that i just replaced the A/C switch - ran long enough for me to get the dash back together - then nothing...no high or 1,2,3 setting...any thoughts???

regards
vschlueter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #45
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Check the connector on the mode selector switch and at the resistor. Both of those were melted on mine as well. Oh, and go ahead and do the relay mod.

Tom

Tags
fan switch , connector , replacement , fix , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.