fan switch connector - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > fan switch connector

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

fan switch connector

2000 TJ
A/C fan only worked on low (1) .. replaced the fan switch, worked on 1,2, and 4. Then, it died completely. NO fan. Disassembled tonight and found this mess:

Any ideas what would cause it to get that hot?
And how to proceed on fixing this mess?

Tom

tapenick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The brushes in the blower motor wears out and puts to much current through the wire that are too small. Models around 2000 are the ones that this happen to most.
There is a mod somewhere on here to put relays on the wires to solve this problem. I have been just sweating it and keeping the A/C on 1 or 2.
The three wires on the right are also known to melt.
Cuder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The blower motor bearings wear out also...
Unread 08-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Guy at the Jeep place said to check for a resistor being grounded too. Somewhere near the fan motor. Guess I have some investigating to do.

Can purchase a replacement harness for the blower switch connector that just unplugs.. $38. But get this - if it's the fan motor causing the current draw - new motor is $267!!!

Tom
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapenick View Post
Can purchase a replacement harness for the blower switch connector that just unplugs.. $38. But get this - if it's the fan motor causing the current draw - new motor is $267!!!
Rebuild the fan motor...
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

$ 49.09 plus shipping. $10.60 4-7 days to ship to Dallas
lifetime warranty
DirectAuto.com - 1997-2001 Jeep Wrangler Heater / AC Blower Motor
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Fourty-nine bucks.. now we're talking! Thanks cuder!

Been reading some threads about the resistor ... but since mine does not work on high that's probably not my problem, right? Guessing it's just that mangled up connector.

Blower motor is right behind the battery.. looks like a no-brainer?

Tom
Unread 08-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There is a relay mod in this thread at the end. I haven't done it yet.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fr...w-pics-579700/

Here is some more on this problem.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he...switch-692735/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he...-fuses-962112/

Unread 08-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, the part the Jeep place quoted me was the vacuum connector for the defrost/vent control. Ugh. But, the parts guy did some digging and found part number 68052589AA which is a 'repair kit' for the blower switch harness. (sounds like a pigtail) $42.17. Guess I'll order it, slap the new blower in today, then hope it's the right part.

Interesting article on this topic:
Jeep Fire Prevention - Jp Magazine

Tom
Unread 08-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Okay guys - we have a local guy that deals mostly in used Jeeps (Used Jeeps For Sale - Gilbert Jeeps and 4x4's) ... swung by there today and he was intimately familiar with my problem. But, he said that the motor wasn't causing the problems.. that the wiring was just insufficient and over time started causing problems. I'm having a hard time swallowing that.. wanted to check with the group. In his defense.. he fixes a lot of them and sends the folks on their way... so may not know if it breaks again.

Do we have a consensus that the motor is probably going bad causing extra current draw?

Tom
Unread 08-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

[Quote] Do we have a consensus that the motor is probably going bad causing extra current draw? [Quote]

Well the motor has moving parts right? Moving parts do wear out right? Do wires have moving parts?

And if the wire guage was at fault then they would have failed sooner than 8 - 10 years down the road.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
invishand
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Why dont the fuses work?

why dont the fuses work by burning when the current of the old motors is drawing more than the wires/connectors/and switches can take?

Two moths ago i repaired a melted AC/Htr master on/off electrical switch (not the vacuum switch attached to the same right-most knob) and today, the connector melted to the Fan Speed Resistor behind the glove compartment when i had in Lo position for 15min. The ac works great but fan only works in HI position again. Here we go again... I am now assuming i have a huge current drain being demanded by the old fan. Anyone recommend the best way to get the actual dc current being drawn by your fan without taking the battery and fan motor out?

My mechanic found and fixed the first issue but i did the research this time and all sorts of melted connectors, switches, and wires all through the e- supply to the fan.

See schematic @
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/d...re-fix-580627/

And does anyone have a fuse block diagram that shows which fuse is the blower fuse (shown as 30a in the schematic)?
invishand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That's what I was thinking. Just took the old one out.. no signs of anything wrong with it. I understand that worn brushes probably wouldn't be detectable.. just going to slap the new one in and hope for the best.

Tom
Unread 08-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #14
tapenick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing in the resistor pack could cause this could it? I wasn't thinking so since, from my understanding, the circuit doesn't go through the resistor pack on high.

Tom
Unread 08-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #15
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would do the relay mod too. I am when it gets cooler out. I have been leaving it on settings 3 and 4 no longer than 5 min, then going to setting 2.
I have read about others that replaced the blower motor and still got melted switches.

Tags
fan switch , connector , replacement , fix , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.