Fan speed switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fan speed switch

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
kymater
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Fan speed switch

Trying to figure what's wrong. I only have the 3rd speed on my fan speed. I've read countless articles where the resistor goes bad and you only have the High speed, but that is not what I have. What could be my problem?

thanks

kymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Most likely the resistor. They dont all fail the same.

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

When my 3rd speed went out it was the switch.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The blower control issues are caused by the blower motor. Over time the motor will start drawing more current because of dust and grime building up in the motor making it harder to turn. The higher current draw can burn out the elements of the resistor and/or damage the wiring and switch. Take a look at the back of the switch. You'll likely see melted insulation and wiring.
Unread 10-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
The blower control issues are caused by the blower motor. Over time the motor will start drawing more current because of dust and grime building up in the motor making it harder to turn. The higher current draw can burn out the elements of the resistor and/or damage the wiring and switch. Take a look at the back of the switch. You'll likely see melted insulation and wiring.

While this is true to a point. The weakest link always goes first. The switch, only rated for 10 amps controls a 30 amp blower motor . I was melting switches and resistor packs until I did the relay mod. Did not replace the blower motor and no more melting parts, switch or resistor pack. That was 6 years ago.
Unread 10-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
While this is true to a point. The weakest link always goes first. The switch, only rated for 10 amps controls a 30 amp blower motor . I was melting switches and resistor packs until I did the relay mod. Did not replace the blower motor and no more melting parts, switch or resistor pack. That was 6 years ago.
I've replace the resistor twice in the past seven years. Last winter the switch ate itself. I'm going to insert relays into the circuit before winter sets in for good.
Unread 10-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
kymater
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well, took it all apart today. It is definitely the blower control switch this time. I simply removed the switch and started crossing wires.....all fan speeds are there. I also noticed some melting around the blades in the switch. I've got a new switch on its way.

Anyone know of video or a step by step article on the relay modification? I've seen the one from Jp magazine, but I'm not that electrical inclined to figure it out from the article.
Unread 10-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymater View Post
Well, took it all apart today. It is definitely the blower control switch this time. I simply removed the switch and started crossing wires.....all fan speeds are there. I also noticed some melting around the blades in the switch. I've got a new switch on its way.

Anyone know of video or a step by step article on the relay modification? I've seen the one from Jp magazine, but I'm not that electrical inclined to figure it out from the article.
When I get back to the house I will post how I did mine for ya.
Unread 10-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You can also search something like "fried blower motor switch" and find a ton of info.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/searc...rchid=16665358
Unread 10-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Squint77

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Make sure you take out your fan as well and clear it of any leaves or debris. This should help prolong the life of your resistor and switch, but like mentioned above, it is just a poor design.
Unread 10-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
kymater
1999 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the replies.....new switch came in today. I think I will try to tackle the relay mod before I stick it in.
Unread 10-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymater View Post
thanks for the replies.....new switch came in today. I think I will try to tackle the relay mod before I stick it in.
I would install the switch first. Just to make sure all is working properly.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.