Fan clutch removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fan clutch removal

KrawlOff-Road.com Jeep Beach SaleFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 06-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
grebva3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Fan clutch removal

please help changing water pump and cannot get the fan clutch nut to loosen...I have a fan wrench as well any help would be great...its hot here in mississippi..I have read thru 4x4explore.com site and stu's offroad as well

Looking for a New Center Console TJ 5spd Manual[/B]
grebva3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
JV05TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

WD40, strap wrench, fan clutch wrench. Soak the nut in WD40 and let it sit for a few minutes. Tighten the strap wrench on the pulley and apply tension by pushing down on the wrench handle towards the drivers side (facing the engine) Once thats all tight use the fan clutch wrench and loosen towards the passenger side.
* note - use gloves - my hands got a little busted but no biggie

hope this helps!
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
JV05TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

also - if you have a mallet and the nut is still tight after using the WD40, balance the clutch wrench on the nut so the handle is sticking up. take your mallet and (holding tight on the strap wrench) give that clutch wrench and few good taps with the mallet on the handle. I had to do that at first to get things goin
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have an air chisel and a 18inch punch for the tough ones.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
I have an air chisel and a 18inch punch for the tough ones.
Air hammer, pickle fork and an 18" crescent wrench.

Remember that it's RH thread...
Unread 06-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
JV05TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

id love to get some air tools - started thinking about installing an air compressor in the jeep but haven't looked into it a whole lot
Unread 06-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV05TJ View Post
id love to get some air tools - started thinking about installing an air compressor in the jeep but haven't looked into it a whole lot
I've been using this one for 6 years...
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
grebva3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My Water Pump & Thermostat are finally done and replaced! My saga began about 8am. My buddy and I began removing the fan shroud, radiator, and over flow bottle with little problem. Drained all fluid and removed negative terminal from battery as well. I had already read thru stu and 4x4xlores site (awesome write-up) and felt very prepared, even rented a fan wrench set as well. After 2 1/2 hourS and no luck and severely busted knuckles, plus an exploded fan pulley bolt, I called the Jeep Dealership mechanic for any tips...I heard him tell the lady who answered, "tell him to hit it with a BFH," so my quest continued and I was atleast confident I was doing the right thing just need more muscle or the proper tool. After reading the forum more I set out to get a strap wrench (I had never heard of this tool) and bought one for 8bucks, no big deal. Get back home to realize, this is designed for oil filters and will not work, "crap!!" Now, I drive to two different part stores and autozone has what I need!! My buddy I proceed back and break loose the nut and man was I impressed with this tool! It was only 16 bucks so well worth it in my opinion and can have many applications. After all the running around and then putting everything back together and cleaning up I finished up about 4pm, I know, but there were no leaks and all is well, the jeep seems to run just slightly cooler now. I would like to thank the forum folks who posted with help and say thanks.

My next big maintenance job is the timing chain and related parts in a few weeks when I get paid. I have again read thru the write-ups and will take any and all extra advice for this next job that may not always get mentioned.
My mechanical ability is moderate and I am willing to ask questions and read before hand before I go into a job or task. I definitely need to purchase a torq wrench for the job any recommendations?

Looking for a New Center Console TJ 5spd Manual[/B]
grebva3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.