Fan Belt / Pulley Tensioner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fan Belt / Pulley Tensioner

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
feusaf
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fan Belt / Pulley Tensioner

Looking for some technical expertise...

Change the fan belt this evening on my '97 TJ 2.5L and discovered something interesting. The bolt to adjust the tensioner just turned and turned and turned, and would not adjust the tension of the pulley. My mirror handle is pointing at the bolt in question...

Reached my hand around the backside of the bracket and realized that there is nothing securing the bolt to the bracket to allow the pulley to go up and down. Am I missing something here, or should I be able to adjust that tensioner?

If this thing is broke, could someone give me a part # to research through Autozone/NAPA or Mopar? And, if I can replace the missing part, can I do so without replacing the whole bracket?

One last question, if you were troubleshooting a squeal out of the fan belt and it wasn't the belt, would you go for the pulleys or the alternator? The alternater is showing 13.6v or higher on my meter, so I know it's good. Not sure if I can replace the pulley on the darn thing.

Much thanks,

Jim S.
Bonaire, GA

feusaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You have to loosen the big bolt (that brown one in your photo) the idler pulley rotates around first before the idler pulley will move up and down in its slot.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
feusaf
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
You have to loosen the big bolt (that brown one in your photo) the idler pulley rotates around first before the idler pulley will move up and down in its slot.
Well, I guess I opened myself up for that one...actually, I did loosen that bolt up (the one on the pulley), but the idler pulley only adjusted up and would not adjust down to get the tension right. The more I cranked on it, the more it would stick out of the bracket

I actually took the adjuster bolt out of the bracket to see if it had threads on the very end that I could stick a nut on to get it to adjust. Ended up doing it the old fashioned way. Tightened the pulley down and beat it with a mallet until the tension was right !!!
feusaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

There should be a small block the bolt (you point too) should be attached into. The other bolt, as mentioned, also bolts into this same block. Becareful removing the screws, getting them to line up is a PITA.

Beware the bolt you point to, has a small pivot point and when screwing that bolt down you want make sure it protrudes out the hole, the body of the pully, This hole is just big enough for the end of the bolt.

I had the same problem, I loosened them both to the point I felt they would come right off. Then with one hand, I lift up the idler and the other screwing in the bolt (the one pointed too), then just keep lifting and tightening to the point your happy. Then tighten down the pully bolt down.

This is what I have found, this is what worked for me ~ so good luck .. hopefully this helps some what.
prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.