Faded hard top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Faded hard top

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
mikeciu

Faded hard top

Any suggestions on how to restore some of the color and make it look newer?
Thanks!

mikeciu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Petey0844
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i've always used back to black by mothers for my hardtop.
Unread 04-26-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

if you want to paint it like I did... sand it, then use Krylon Fusion Paint or Rustoleum spray paint
works wonders!!!

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
MisterO

Krylon Fusion FTW!!!
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
jrandalls
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Go to home depot or lowes and get some penetrol. It works great. I have used it on two tan tops and one black top. I put it on every year when I put my hard top back on.
jrandalls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
Zoom By You
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandalls View Post
Go to home depot or lowes and get some penetrol. It works great. I have used it on two tan tops and one black top. I put it on every year when I put my hard top back on.
X2 I was shocked how good this stuff worked, I did mine about two years ago and it still looks good....
2001 TJ Sport Amber Fire, Dual Tops/Dual Doors, 4.0, Banks Ram-Air, Banks S.S. Monster exhaust, five speed, NV3550, A.A. SYE/Tom Woods, 4:56 D30/D35, Detroit Truetrac at both ends, Solid diff covers, 4.5 R.E. Super Flex W/3.5 springs, adjustable upper and lower control arms, adjustable front and rear R.E. track bars, TeraFlex shock relocation brackets, R.E. Mono tube shocks, R.E. front stabilizer, R.E. 3/4" front spacer, 33 X 12.5 TrXus STS, M/T Classic-locks, ShrockWorks Rock Rails, Hanson 52" front bumper, EPi9.0 Superwinch with wireless control, Olympic rear bumper, Olympic Mountaineer rack, Bushwacker 6" Pocket Flares, Optima yellow top, IPF headlights W/ Fatboys, upgraded relay/wiring harness, KC Slims, Bosch rear lights, Garmin c550 GPS, Garmin 76S GPS, Cobra CB 148GTL W/Astatic Mic, Pioneer Sound, 3A Racing fire extinguishers. Manhattan Rated....
Zoom By You is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
btb601

Nice looking Jeep you have there Zoom By You. I wonder if those add on mirrors will still fit with the KC light mounts???? I have a 02 same color

As for for the faded hardtop, I bought some Penetrol but have not used it yet
2002 4.0 Sport, 5-spd, Dana44 w/ Detroit Electra Locker, 4.5" R.E.- L A Lift, Old Man EMU Shocks,TrailMaster steering Stab, 5 Hellcats 10x15s, Good Year MT/R 35x12.5s,Warner Frt bumper/grill guard, Warner 9500TI winch, Tomken Rear Bumper and Carrier, Tera 4to1, SYE + CV drshft, Tomken Rock Sliders, , KC Titanium Lites
btb601 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
Zoom By You
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by btb601 View Post
Nice looking Jeep you have there Zoom By You. I wonder if those add on mirrors will still fit with the KC light mounts???? I have a 02 same color
Thanks, I don't see too many Jeeps this color; as for the mirrors, I was wondering the same thing a while back but I think with longer screws for the mirror brackets, it might be possible to run both....
2001 TJ Sport Amber Fire, Dual Tops/Dual Doors, 4.0, Banks Ram-Air, Banks S.S. Monster exhaust, five speed, NV3550, A.A. SYE/Tom Woods, 4:56 D30/D35, Detroit Truetrac at both ends, Solid diff covers, 4.5 R.E. Super Flex W/3.5 springs, adjustable upper and lower control arms, adjustable front and rear R.E. track bars, TeraFlex shock relocation brackets, R.E. Mono tube shocks, R.E. front stabilizer, R.E. 3/4" front spacer, 33 X 12.5 TrXus STS, M/T Classic-locks, ShrockWorks Rock Rails, Hanson 52" front bumper, EPi9.0 Superwinch with wireless control, Olympic rear bumper, Olympic Mountaineer rack, Bushwacker 6" Pocket Flares, Optima yellow top, IPF headlights W/ Fatboys, upgraded relay/wiring harness, KC Slims, Bosch rear lights, Garmin c550 GPS, Garmin 76S GPS, Cobra CB 148GTL W/Astatic Mic, Pioneer Sound, 3A Racing fire extinguishers. Manhattan Rated....
Zoom By You is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
RLandis
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandalls View Post
Do you use this stuff on the bumpers?
RLandis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
Rick_Fury
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Meguiar's Boat Wax. It comes in a blue bottle. Boats have a gelcoat on them, just like our hardtops do.

Meguiar's Direct Fiberglass Restoration System

My black hardtop on my '98 was faded pretty bad. I got tired of looking at the chalky appearance, and Mother's, etc. never lasted more than a few weeks.

It is just like waxing the body paint, only this is made for fiberglass. Use the Oxidation Remover first and then apply the Wax. My hardtop looked new when I was finished, and lasted as long as my regular wax job on the body.
Rick_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.