Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Factory Locker Switch Bypass?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  LiveT 
#1 ·
Can the Factory Locker Switch be Bypassed and not used at all? I pretty sure my Switch is dead and dont feel like paying $60 for another one. Could I just wire up my own switches using the red and black wires coming out of the air compressors?

#3 ·
I like the independent switches idea, I think I'm going to go the route. When this is done it seems that the original axel lock switch has no function any more. would it be possible to still use that as the master power switch to activate the new selectable switches?

#6 ·
the factory switch has alot of wires, when you say it's "dead" I'm not sure how easy it would be to reproduce that if something is not working propery. There may be relays somewhere else that are not working properly? If something in there isn't working properly, the simpler 'bypass' mods may not work? I'm not sure. The mod (or at least the one I did) I believe still keeps some of the safety features, like you can't lock them at higher speeds, and they automatically unlock at higher speeds (40mph or something?) I don't know for sure that these safety things are still in place with the way I did it, I've never tried locking them at higher speeds. So if the relays (or whatever) help control those safety features, the bypass may not work if something is malfunctioning on yours.

However, if you are considering doing the bypass mod, I would just do it! It's very easy (even for someone like me who doesn't know mucha bout wiring) and was very quick, and quite nice to have! I believe it's pin 6 and 7 go to one of each switch, and then ground each switch (you can do that to pin 1) that's what I did.

If you are thinking of going straight to the pumps with the wires, it might be a problem if the pumps themselves don't automatically shut off? If the pumps do automatically shut off on their own (with no external controller or something!?), then I would think it should probably be pretty easy to just wire up switches straight to the pumps. I don't know which is the case.

#7 ·
Thanks guys. I just finished putting the air pumps under the brake booster. Extended the wires and they still work fine. It only seems that the lockers wont work when im off road and need them, hopefully the 1,6,7 bypass will fix that problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.