Factory bumper tow hitch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Factory bumper tow hitch?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #1
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Factory bumper tow hitch?

Has anyone attached a tow hitch directly to the factory bumper?
ie custom? I was thinking L shaped iron bolted right on. How strong would this be? Would it hold the rated 2000lbs? I figure if you can pull a stuck jeep out of the mud up a hill with a factory bumper you can tow rated stuff to.

TJamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The factory bumper is sheet metal, you'd need to bolt any hitch you made directly to the frame and not simply to the bumper. Most aftermarket bumpers are made from 3/16" steel that with the proper design, could handle a hitch mounted and welded into the bumper itself. You just can't do that with the flimsy factory bumper.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
chiefkp
2013 JK Wrangler 

dont do it. You will pull your bumper off probably.
Unread 11-15-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
karbu

I have my tow bar brackets attached directly to my Factory bumper. I have towed about 1000 miles so far and no problems and no evidence of fatigue or bending on bumper.

Steve
Unread 11-15-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Steve.
What kind of braket? Any pics?
Jamzjeep
01' tj sport
Unread 11-15-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
Dravintoad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

As stated before, you need to have something rated besides sheet metal to tow from, and THAT needs to be securely fastened to the frame.
check sig
Unread 11-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
Waldn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamzjeep
I figure if you can pull a stuck jeep out of the mud up a hill with a factory bumper you can tow rated stuff to.
anything used for towing or recovery should bolted directly through the frame.
this is what happens when you try to pull a stuck Jeep with the factory bumper.
Unread 11-15-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
BadAddetude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'd pull on the factory bumper. Thats a good way to get it the hell off of there to make room for a hitch or a real bumper.
1995 YJ: 4.0, 700R4, 231 C/J case, TeraFlex SS SYE/CV shaft, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 136 Amp Alternator, Trans Cooler, Pavement Ends Flip-top/H-T, 2'' BDS Suspension Lift, MORE 5/8' Greasables, Sony GT-210 Xplode Head.

Under the Knife! See the build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/badaddetudes-build-project-hrp-602142/
BadAddetude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbu
I have my tow bar brackets attached directly to my Factory bumper. I have towed about 1000 miles so far and no problems and no evidence of fatigue or bending on bumper.

Steve
Towing a trailer doesn't often place much stress on the hitch or what it's attached to. What does cause a lot of stress on all that is a recovery operation where you're stuck and you're being retrieved by something attached to the bumper, or attempting to pull someone else out who's stuck from your bumper. That's where the factory bumper can get completely ripped off as shown in the above photo...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #10
madduc

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbu

Steve
If you live in Michigan can you tell me what your Jeep looks like so I can stay clear of it when you tow?!
Unread 11-15-2007, 04:42 PM   #11
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madduc
If you live in Michigan can you tell me what your Jeep looks like so I can stay clear of it when you tow?!

You'll spot it. It'll be the one upside in the ditch with holes torn out of the front bumper.

We used to make towbar brackets for jeeps all the time. We made brackets that bolt to the frame. I've seen it done many ways, some trick, some fugly, but the ones attached only to the bumper will start bending the bumper in short order, and once it fatigues it will get worse fast. It can look fine at the beginning of the day and fail the same day. **AT the very least - put some Reallly Large backing plates behind it - all the way across if possible. But I'd get frame mounts done soon as you can.

It's not the pulling a trailer (or jeep) that does the most straining, it's the braking, and with towbars, going around the corners too.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2007, 04:32 AM   #12
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Okay. No hitch for bumper. Gottcha. What about a low profile tow hitch?
I don't like the ones that hang below the bumper. Is there something out there that won't scrape (as much) the ground?
Unread 11-16-2007, 06:14 AM   #13
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I got a bumper off Ebay for a little more than it cost to buy a Draw-Tite hitch. It has a better departure angle (lower profile) than any stock bumper + Uhaul hitch out there. Towed a Uhaul trailer just fine, also holds my bike rack and snowboard rack. Also yanked a Toyota out of a snowdrift, and towed another broken down YJ a few miles to a station.

Installed it myself:

Added a Jeeperman frame tie-in kit, had it welded on by an auto/muffler shop - 20 bucks cash.

Recently learned to weld and made a tire carrier for the bumper too:
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.