Fabricating up some tube fenders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fabricating up some tube fenders

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
RaceDay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Fabricating up some tube fenders

Im debating making more of these and selling them, so any input as far as likes/dislikes will be greatly appreciated. I'm still in progress because my die grinder decided to.. well, die. So ill pick up where I left off tomorrow let me know what you think. Ill keep you updated with pics as I finish them.

sorry about the mag chloride all over the jeep in the pics.

dont worry, it will be cloaked in sheet metal too, with vents on the sides

RaceDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
stlbluerubicon
2005 TJ Wrangler 

They look great, nice work! Does the inner fender attach to them or does it just kind of hang there?.. That would be my only concern.
stlbluerubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbluerubicon View Post
They look great, nice work! Does the inner fender attach to them or does it just kind of hang there?.. That would be my only concern.
This and blinkers.

They do look good though. At first I wasnt liking the harsh angles but then I realised that was because I was used to seeing curved tubes. I like em. Keep the pics coming.

With it going all the way back to the tub in the rear, are there going to be any battery issues on the other side?
Unread 01-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
RaceDay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark View Post
This and blinkers.

They do look good though. At first I wasnt liking the harsh angles but then I realised that was because I was used to seeing curved tubes. I like em. Keep the pics coming.

With it going all the way back to the tub in the rear, are there going to be any battery issues on the other side?
I already have the other battery tray made and the wells will sit flush when I'm done. I'm going to slave at them today and post tonight with more pics.
Unread 01-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
RaceDay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So I didn't get as much as I had planned on getting done today. but here is where they are sitting right now. I cut out the side panels, and rebuilt the wheel well brace to make it all flush, got all the paint and some new drake offroad hood latches because the factory hold downs had too short of a bolt.

my plans are to have that side done and painted tomorrow, then ill have to work four days in a row (ill be commuting with half factory/ half tube fender haha) then ill finish the other side next tuesday-thursday.
Unread 01-13-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Im not sure why youre not getting more feedback on these, I think youre doing a great job. You might get more feedback in the Fab section. I really like how theyre different than the standard curved tube. Dont ghetto-fy your work by putting blinkers in the hood. Id run a few of those little circle LEDs inside the "tube." Are you going to paint them black or blue to match?

We need more pics but I think youve got a solid design thats unique. If you made a jig and were able to make these consistently and maintain a high quality, I bet you could make a few $$$. If youre looking to make money, Id find a way to incorporate the stock latches to lower cost. Id also weld on a small plate in the front corner similar to TNTs design for a front blinker.

Good job dude and keep the pics coming.
Unread 01-13-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks nice! I like that you made the wheel opening larger for larger tires. These remind me of the TNT Phantom tubes but with a different twist.
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
tuc
2003 TJ Wrangler 

looks great. the only thing for me is flares cause my state only alows 2in of tires to extend past the flare
tuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #9
jakemnm848
2001 TJ Wrangler 

They look bad ***, can't wait to see it finished!
jakemnm848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 01:22 AM   #10
RaceDay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, so i just got done for the most part on the one side, I have a few things I need to add but for the most part here is how she looks. as much as I would like to paint them to match, Im only 20 so my budget is slim and I had to go with truck bed liner. (only spent 45 bucks for all the supplies to make tube fenders + got metal free) I will add more rivets, but its 1 am here and I need to be at work by 7 so i just had to make her drivable.. no blinkers.. damn, hooray hand signals!

Unread 01-14-2011, 01:33 AM   #11
Camilo98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

man that looks really good! I like the design and look to it, like said previously work on a turn signal design and you are set to go.
Camilo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 03:34 AM   #12
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceDay View Post
They look good man! Can wait to see both sides done. In the pic above, you may want to grind the corner right next to the headlight. As the brace goes up and down it doesnt really conform to the Jeep. 5 seconds with a grinder and it will.
Unread 01-14-2011, 04:40 AM   #13
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

these look good. personally i like round tube for tube fenders, but these are unique. good job.
post a pic or two in the YJ forum, i think they might get a kick out of these too.
Unread 01-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #14
NMLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'd put a set on my jeep. Way to think out side of the box.

-2006 Impact Orange LJ-

THE HARDEST THING ABOUT A ZOMBIE OUTBREAK WOULD BE PRENTENDING NOT TO BE EXCITED
NMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #15
bdavid
1988 YJ Wrangler 

very nice...
bdavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.