Extreme Novice Installing PowerTrax No-Slip, TrueTrac, Crown 4340 rear axle shafts - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Extreme Novice Installing PowerTrax No-Slip, TrueTrac, Crown 4340 rear axle shafts

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #46
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Oh nevermind, I found it in the thread. I've been reading this religiously trying to get pumped up for a new carrier and must have over looked it. Thanks for the help.

http://www.superioraxlegear.com/3520...l-p-10203.html

If I just buy this kit from superior, would I still need to buy the bearings? It says that it includes carrier bearings and I'm assuming that's the same thing. Am I wrong about that?

afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #47
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, I used the shims from the D30 kit because they fit the D35 just as well. For that kit you linked to, that seems to have the correct carrier bearings, so, no, you wouldn't need to buy additional carrier bearings; however, you'd end up paying for pinion bearings in that kit that you don't need. Maybe you could sell those here, but I think you are better off just buying the carrier bearings separately and buying the cheaper, no-bearings Dana 30 install kit like I did, and using those shims on the Dana 35 carrier. They fit perfectly. (I knew they would because a tech told me they would.)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ex...hafts-1234745/
FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #48
Tr00b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Have you tried this setup at all on snow?
Tr00b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #49
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afusco1222 View Post
I'm going to do this install once I'm done with finals. Where did you get the LSD install kit and the bearings?
I went with Superior Gears, and a Spartan locker, for the front ..... bgt through Dave at Northridge 4x4.... free shipping!
Don't buy direct from Superior; they charge more, to protect their dealers, and will tell you so!
My first time buying Superior gears but they look excellent and Made in USA!
Nice people at Northridge, and they knew exactly what I needed to get-er-done!

In the past, I have always used Randy's Ring and Pinion and Yukon Gears.
But Yukon 4.56 gears are back ordered for the Dana 30 until January???
Aussie Lockers for D30 are also impossible to find?? Dave at Northridge sold the Spartan for the Aussie price!

Note: Superiors Install Kit for D30 did not include axle seals??

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #50
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr00b View Post
Have you tried this setup at all on snow?
I have not. There are a several threads on TrueTracs and snow, and front lockers and snow. I'd have to refer you there.

Unread 11-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #51
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
In my experience, dual truetracs are awesome in the snow .

1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #52
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For the life of me I can't figure out how I've missed your thread(s) for this long? To read your scribbles is an absolute pleasure for me, just as Stu's write-ups are. Maybe it's an old man thing, eh? Yeah, I don't know either...Anyway, nice job, well done and a well deserved pat-on-the-back, FarmerinVA!

EDIT: I know how I missed this thread, I was chasing a dream down south, had no internet access or anything really outside of a radio & DVD from July through mid Sept. Either that, or my memory is far worse than I thought...ah man, say it isn't so...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #53
coolhandjohn
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just wanted to thank you for making this thread. My D35 recently went south on me when all the ring bolts backed out and half sheared off. Needless to say I needed a new carrier and decided to install an eaton true-trac. Everything I read on the internet made me believe I needed my mechanic to do the install until I found this thread so thank you for all your help.
coolhandjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #54
crqflier
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Amazing, amazing write up. Not sure which is more impressive, the work or the thread. I was faced with exactly your situation and ended up doing "almost exactly" what you did - except I got into the D35 and decided to solve with a few hundred $$ and I also did the CCE rear axle. Had this thread been around while I was struggling with the TT, I probably would have kept going. Nice job.
crqflier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #55
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, gents (or gals). I'm glad someone actually read it. Given all the work, reading, garage talking and time I had to put in to learn all this, it seemed a shame to just let it rot in my head. It was sort of like buying a diamond ring: a whole lot of learning and expense, which seemed silly if the whole point is never to do it again.

I still haven't gotten a good video of the TrueTrac working. The problem, paradoxically, is that it works too well. You can't tell when it engages because it has a smooth take-up, and it does let the wheels spin at slightly different rates in mud (depending), so it's not clear to the observer that it's making a difference. But it sure does make a difference. I'll make a better effort on the video sometime in the spring when it warms up.

Unread 01-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #56
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ive been super impressed with the truetracs performance so far. In the rear, when accompanied by a front locker, it works 95% as well as a locker as long as you dont lift a tire. Typically I lift front tires not rear anyway. I can only think of one time Ive had a rear off and it was on a sharp decline and I was engine breaking in 1st/low.

Its fawesome in the snow as well, even with an aussie up front.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/4338209219.html

My build - Odd approach to 33's
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/o...h-33s-1307968/
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #57
trickydick
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Why did you have to set the backlash in the rear and not the front?
trickydick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #58
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydick View Post
Why did you have to set the backlash in the rear and not the front?
Because in the front, I did not disturb the ring gear, shims, or bearings, the way I did in the rear; in other words, I did not change the backlash of the system in the front. Whatever backlash it originally had when I pulled it out, it still had the same when I put it back in. That's one reason why lunchbox lockers are so popular -- no need to mess with bearings, backlash, etc.

Backlash is a description of what's happening where the ring gear and pinion gear meet, but it's controlled (assuming your pinion gear is at the correct depth) simply by the side-to-side positioning of the carrier, which you adjust using shims.* I did change the side-to-side positioning of the rear, due to the fact that I installed a whole new carrier. I didn't in the front.

* Some carriers, such as some of the newer Ford axles, use a screw system instead of shims. But TJ stock axles use shims.

Unread 02-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #59
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

IF you go to 4x4GroupBuy you can get Superior Front and rear gear sets and front and rear master install kits for $500 total. Thats what I did. I did have Motive 4.88's but sold them to a buddy when I got hit by granny cause I knew a HP d30 was going to go into the Tj instead of the LP d30.

Also you can use your old bearings that your going to replace for setup bearings. Just use a Dremel or Die Grinder and take enough material off them so that they are easier to put on and off.

One more thing: If your going to put an E-locker or any of the Super Kits then more than likely the carrier bearings/races from the master install kits wont work. The journal diameter is larger on these items.
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #60
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Since this thread turned into something of a resource thread about TrueTracs, I thought I should re-post something from IslandTJ today in another thread. He has TrueTracs front and rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTJ View Post

Lol, the funny thing is that I drove it like that for 5 minutes before the person behind me told me on the CB, "Ken, you lost a tire???"

It was a bad wheeling day, turning into night. The snow was deep, slick and falling heavily with rain. I was anchoring a group and on the last trail that we were on, 2 Jeeps in front of me got stuck and required winching. One of the Jeeps couldn't start back up and required to be towed back down to the forest service road.

With a come-a-long and the downed Jeep's winch, we slowly turned the dead Jeep around 180║. When I attempted to pull and drag the dead Jeep down the trail, I managed to slam my front tire into a cut tree stump sticking out of the ground (it was originally hidden by the snow). The force was hard enough to unseat the tire's bead. LOL I didn't know I lost my bead, I just thought I screwed up my front TrueTrac because I suddenly lost a lot of traction.

By this time another Jeep came up to help and proceeded to pull the dead Jeep down the trail while I went back to winch out another Jeep. After the Jeep was extracted we turned around and proceeded to drive back down the trail. While making our descent, the Jeep in back of me noticed a tire on the side of the trail and commented that she did not see that tire when we drove up earlier during the day. 5 minutes later when I made a sharp right turn, the Jeep in back of me saw my exposed wheel shining brightly in her lights.

It was a bad night... I had to hike back up in the snow and water to get my missing tire back.

On a good note, my tire was warrantied and I got new KM2s for the Jeep (ran KM1s for the longest time) .
Holy cow. If that's not an endorsement for the TrueTrac, what is? Even with him totally missing a tire, in snow on a mountain, he was still getting some use out of his other front tire, and he was still able to limp out of a situation that got other Jeeps stuck and he didn't even realize he was missing a tire until somebody told him.

Try that with two open differentials.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.