Extending My Bump Stops - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Extending My Bump Stops

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Extending My Bump Stops

Well I didn't think I would have to but after putting in 3 hours worth of body work making my jeep look good again, I decided it's about time. Duh.

Anyways how do you figure out how much extra bumpstop you need? I have a rough country 3.25 in lift and 32 in tires. I was looking at Daystar's extending rubber replacement things but wanted to see what you guys had to say. Any ideas?

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

flex your jeep, before you shock bottoms out and/or your tire hits the fender measure it and adjust your bumpstops accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

i guess im not sure how, is there an easy cheap spacer or something?

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

not sure how to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

This isn't hard. Bump stops prevent two things from happening--tire from making contact with the body and shock from bottoming out. Measure both. Write down the least of the numbers. Now measure from the bottom of the bump stop cup (top of the foam piece....remember, it will compress). Subtract the first number from that. That's how much bump stop you need. That's the simple way to figure it out. There can be other smaller factors that will require a bit more or less bump stop. It's a trial and error process if you like to get things down to fractions of an inch.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
frigginjeep

I used a boat roller...the long cylindrical ones without a taper...removed the stock bumpstop rubber, pulled out the bolt, removed the cup, placed the right length for extension above the cup and used a longer bolt, then reinstalled the factory rubber...works great for about $10 including new longer bolts...

When I did mine, I cut it about 1/2" longer than needed, then used the pressure of tightening the bolt to compress it to the size needed...this helps to prevent extra compression of the bump stop on full stuff of the suspension...
frigginjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frigginjeep View Post
I used a boat roller...the long cylindrical ones without a taper...removed the stock bumpstop rubber, pulled out the bolt, removed the cup, placed the right length for extension above the cup and used a longer bolt, then reinstalled the factory rubber...works great for about $10 including new longer bolts...

When I did mine, I cut it about 1/2" longer than needed, then used the pressure of tightening the bolt to compress it to the size needed...this helps to prevent extra compression of the bump stop on full stuff of the suspension...
that's all good on the rear, using an extension up front between the cup will get tangled up in the spring drooping the suspension... not so bad on Long arms but 10" travel shocks with Short arms, we got problems.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 06:29 AM   #9
frigginjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
that's all good on the rear, using an extension up front between the cup will get tangled up in the spring drooping the suspension... not so bad on Long arms but 10" travel shocks with Short arms, we got problems.
Would love to understand what you are describing here...

With my 04 LJ, I am on aftermarket adjustable short arms with approx. 2.5"-3" of lift (the lift is a pieced together "Frankenstein" lift - with the front setup currently being a ZJ V8 spring and 2" spacer, soon to be replaced with a 3" spring)...as mentioned in my previous post I have extended my bump stops by dropping the cup and placing a boat roller in there...it is dropped approx. 2" and still has the OEM bumper in the cup. My front shocks have approx. 10.5" of total travel with approx. 7" of that being droop.

The lift has been in for over a year and the only issue I have run in to has been the front spring unseating on maximum flex (and I feel it flexes well - ramped a 695 on a 30 degree ramp - wheelbase is 103.5"), I addressed this by installing spring retainer clips on the lower spring seat...the thought process behind that was to keep the spring attached to the lower seat so that it wouldn't shoot out of place when when the axle dropped out and the upper bumpstop 'post' (<--- for lack of a better term) actually keeps the top of the spring in place so that it can follow the 'post' back up to the upper spring seat.

frigginjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 06:37 AM   #10
gabriel05
1999 TJ Wrangler 

To extend my front bump stops I just bolted two hockey pucks to the center of the axle spring bucket. Cheap and easy. Each puck is about 1" worth of extension.
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #11
Ajamant
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've seen the hockey puck method, and was actually impressed. Cheap and gets the job done. Bump stop extensions for the front don't exactly break the bank at 20$ or so. Wish I woulda put them in before I stuffed my pretty toyo's so far I shaved every other outer lug on my inner fender..... Doh!!!!!!!! Sway bar disconnects with winch and no bumpstop extensions = angry tires.

Tags
bumpstops , bumpstop , extending , extended , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.