Exhuast Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhuast Issue

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
98GP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Exhuast Issue

This is my issue...
I am leaking at my connection point between the manifold and down pipe. It is puffing exhasut pretty good. I dont think my manifold is leaking because I have not heard any exhaust leaks until this leak. So how hard is it to replace the gasket in this connection point? Can the gasket be change with out damage to the manifold and down pipe?

I am dealing with a 12 year old/125K exhaust system. I know this is going to be F.U.N.

98GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Spray the bolts with some PB Blaster or some type of penetrating oil first.Let it soak! It's an easy task.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
everydayTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, PB Blaster will save you lots of time and sweat. Mine has 190k on it, and it wasn't too bad at all, so hopefully you'll have the same luck

[FONT="Century Gothic"]There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, ... and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people.
[B]-President Teddy Roosevelt (1919)[/B][/FONT]
everydayTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
98GP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

"PB Blaster..." Yep, call me skeptical...
This will be plan A. I think the hardware is beyond PB and I will be quickly moving toward plan B...cut the bolts.
So changing this gasket is as simple as disconnecting the down pipe from the manifold as long as no damage is done to either?
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Correcto mundo!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
98GP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

PB blaster is half good. One of the nuts on one of the bolts at the manifold to front pipe connection worked loose, the other broke. The fornt pipe flange on the side that broke is so diterated that it needs fixed. I am tring to find a way to fix the flange with out replacing the front/down pipe. The front pipe is in good shape. Can I find a replacement flange...Something to clamp to the front pipe then bolt to the manifold flange?

Tags
exhaust , leak

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.