exhaust wrap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > exhaust wrap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
snookhansel
2002 TJ Wrangler 

exhaust wrap

On my last trip out my wife was miserable most of the day. This was due to the heat coming through the floor and up the side of the jeep. I would like to keep the exhaust heat at bay. I was considering exhaust wrap. Has anyone had any experience with it on a tj. Does it help? Is there any negative effects from it?

snookhansel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

NO!!!
Cool air needs to be around the header, and insulating it with a wrap to hold exhaust heat in makes the header material surface temperatures reach near molten levels. When you wrap the header you trap the heat in the header, but also suffocate the material that needs to breathe to dissipate heat for it's own survival.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The floors get hot. There is a heat shield liner type thing you can install....& just bedlining it helps.

I think what I'm thinking of is Lizard skin.

Regardless, if you line it, & put some type is insulation & carpet in, it'll be better.

As for coming in the side....do you have an exhaust leak anywhere?

Edit: also, wrapping the exhaust will trap moisture

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

What do you have on your floorboards now that makes it this unbearable???Nothing?
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
snookhansel
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
NO!!!
Cool air needs to be around the header, and insulating it with a wrap to hold exhaust heat in makes the header material surface temperatures reach near molten levels. When you wrap the header you trap the heat in the header, but also suffocate the material that needs to breathe to dissipate heat for it's own survival.
Any ideas on how to keep the heat from transferring up through the floor so badly. The heat shield is intact under the floor.
Unread 07-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Install a body lift. It'll raise the tub just high enough for air to circulate a little better and it won't get as hot.

Also truck bed line your tub.

That's what I did and don't have any problems with heat anymore.
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
snookhansel
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
What do you have on your floorboards now that makes it this unbearable???Nothing?
Factory carpet on top and the factory heat shield under the floor.
Unread 07-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
snookhansel
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
Install a body lift. It'll raise the tub just high enough for air to circulate a little better and it won't get as hot.

Also truck bed line your tub.

That's what I did and don't have any problems with heat anymore.
This sounds like a good option. I sm running a 4" lift currently. I have been debating savvy 3" springs and a 1" b.l. anyway.
Unread 07-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookhansel View Post
Factory carpet on top and the factory heat shield under the floor.
Factory carpet is next to useless. Though I don't feel the heat that comes up is that bad. But, here are the mods I've done and noticed very little heat radiating thru. I did not do these mods because of the heat either. Added a 1" body lift, Line-X'ed the tub and replaced the crap carped for a set from
http://accmats.com/Products/Flooring...entCarpet.aspx with the mass backing. This carpet is about 10x thicker than stock. I've noticed about a 95% reduction in heat coming in the cab.

Also, used the exhaust wrap on my Harley. Took about 1 year for it to rust thru the pipe due to the wrap holding in water. So I would not suggest wrapping your header or exhaust pipes.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Heat coming up through the floor is a big deal in some TJ's. My TJ runs on the hot side and the floorboards always got warm so I addressed that a number of ways.

It is perfectly OK to wrap your exhaust under the floor area behind the cats but there are a few caveats to that. One, if you live in a wet climate, then you will rust out the exhaust due to trapped water. Two, you cannot wrap in front of the cats or the cats themselves. You can wrap your factory muffler but again, it most likely will rot due to trapped water. I originally wrapped my exhaust and it was fine until I moved onto other solutions but then I live in a fairly dry desert environment.

A body lift "may" help but in my case, it did not.

You can install additional heatproofing material "inside" the tub which will have a noticeable effect. I used the product on the following link and it has worked out very well and my wife does not really complain about the heat any more:

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-the...-material.html

You can see what I did with this on my build thread. I installed factory carpet over this product with no issues.

Lastly and I do not recommend this for everyone but if you have the financial means, then it is a perfectly acceptable solution. Have your entire exhaust ceramic coated. You can see how I did this on my build thread as well.

My TJ still runs on the hot side but interior and floorboard temps are much much better now.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Another option is to remove the 3rd cat located under the passanger seat area. Made a huge difference inside the cab. Of course this is for off road use only
Unread 07-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
snookhansel
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Lots of good options thanks.
Unread 07-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #13
Fusco
Hey Now

2006 TJ Wrangler 

i took the carpet out and herculiner the floor. heat isnt bad at all....
Fusco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #14
willis36

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I used a product called peal and seal on the entire inside of my tub, similar to the product Mr. Yates used on his. Floor temps dropped about 20 degrees, also deadens the road noise a fair bit. Can be purchased at Lowes.
willis36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #15
ronzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis36 View Post
I used a product called peal and seal on the entire inside of my tub, similar to the product Mr. Yates used on his. Floor temps dropped about 20 degrees, also deadens the road noise a fair bit. Can be purchased at Lowes.
Did you put it under the carpet or under the floor?
Thanks
ronzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.