Exhaust sputter at idle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 01-19-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
hkellems
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Exhaust sputter at idle

OK, to start off I guess I'll give you a list of everything that has been done to my jeep here recently and the aftermath.

Vacuum leak patch - shop done
Throttle body leak patch - shop done
map sensor - shop done
spark plugs changed - shop done
------- Still had a clear misfire at idle-----
tps - I did
carbon removal - I did
----ran great for about a week and then flashing engine light----
New tstat - I did
New spark plug boots - I did
---Ran great for about 2 weeks and then it started idling bad with NO CODES---
tested the coil pack - fine
cleaned the IAC - got a good bit of carbon buildup there

So here I am with this awful idle, there's a clear ticking heard when standing by the exhaust and when you put your hand below the muffler you can feel it "puffing" - It's not steady. It almost feels like it's bouncing sometimes when you're sitting in it. But, it runs fine. I used to hear a slight hiss at about 2,100rpms, but no one else ever heard it and now I don't even hear it after I cleaned the IAC. Here's another crazy part, I read somewhere on here that you can test your o2 sensors by unplugging their wires, so I individually tested both of my upright ones (guess I've got a Cali jeep), and it still sputtered but it gave me a cylinder 2 misfire code. So thats when I tested the coil pack and got all of the springs sparking to the bar so I put it back together and the code was gone I'm totally confused about what it is now. I saw a youtube video and the exhaust sounded exactly like mine and they said it was a bad coil pack. I've found how-tos about everything I've done so far to my jeep on here so please don't fail me now!

2003 jeep wrangler sport 4.0 with 79,xxx miles

Tags
exhaust rattle , idle issue , idles rough , sputtering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.