Exhaust nightmare - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust nightmare

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
klr85
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Exhaust nightmare

I had to replace the y-pipe with the 2 cats. to pass inspection. After installing the new pipe I can not get to pipe to seat right on the manifold. It's a 2001 4.0L, I checked with jeep and there is no gasket that goes in between. I have spent about 18 hrs. on this and can not fix it. Any and all help would be great.
Thanks

klr85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How does it sit when you try and get it on, does it sit slightly cocked, or does it not even come close to the mating surface? Also where in jersey I might be able to assist if you need an extra hand as I am in northwest jersey. Also got any pics of the issue?

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
klr85
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It sits slightly cocked. No matter how many times I take it apart the same thing happens. It will sound O.K. but when I start to drive it gets loud again. I'm in Fords, NJ & I have even brought it to 2 shops with no luck.
Unread 06-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Jasen
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Have you tried a bead of RTV silicone as a gasket. Let it sit untill completly cured, about 24 hrs. then re install your manifold.
Been her done this a few times with headers on hot rods.
Unread 06-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
klr85
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I thought about that and the 2shops I went to wouldn't do it and jeep also said not to put anything there. I'm about to just pay the dealer to redo the whole job, parts and all
Unread 06-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Jasen
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sure the 2 shops and the dealer said not to because it's not a propper application in their repair book minds. Never mind the fact the MFGrs have been omitting gaskets for years now and using RTV instead.
The RTV can't hurt anything, and at worse, it will just fail. If nothing else, it's an inexpensive fix and your only out $4 if it fails. The big concern would be having a leak over a long period of time and pitting the mating surface of the head.
That is infact one of the times I used RTV on a header. A gasket just couldn't seal up the pitting.

It's your Jeep, do as you wish
Unread 06-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Leave the exhaust flange at rear cat loose.Do not tighten up the three nuts there.At the Y your going to have to tighten the 4 nuts and bolts evenly on each individual flange. I always look through driverside fender well to see if I have them lined up even.You don't need RTV,you need too get the bolts squared up evenly.RTV isn't going to do squat if uneven.Take your time.It's a pain I know...but doable. Good luck!p.s. On my long arm I drop the front driveshaft it makes for a heck of a lot more room. I doubt you have this scenario?
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
klr85
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I still have had no luck. One shop told me that the part I ordered is belt wrong and no matter what they had tried no luck. Would wrapping Foiltape round the void work or would it burn up from thee heat?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.