JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Exhaust manifold problems (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/exhaust-manifold-problems-1541888/)

2003RubiBlue 06-26-2013 10:39 PM

Exhaust manifold problems

Hey guys a few weeks ago my exhaust got really loud and upon further inspection I found I had a cracked exhaust manifold. It is the two piece style so it is a little rarer than the one piece style but evidently it happens. Sa as a result I decided to be a little cheap (wait this become important later) and ordered a pair of used exhaust manifolds from Daveys Jeep Parts. I also sourced a Felpro gasket locally. Last weekend I tore it down removed the cracked manifold swapped over my O2 sensors, installed new gasket buttoned it all up, decided to start it to check my work, and WTF!!! I had a huge exhaust leak between the head and manifold, so I tried re-torquing every bolt, screwing around, etc, nothing worked. So on day 2 I took it all apart again, cleaned every surface: intake, exhaust and head so they were spotless, installed new gasket, retorqued every bolt with a torque wrench, buttoned it all back up, started it and ..... you guessed it huge exhaust leak between the head and manifold. So this leads me to my current train of thought:

I had a cracked exhaust manifold thats what was wrong originally. I replaced nothing else besides the manifolds and gaskets, the only thing I can come up with is the manifold is not making a good seal because the junk yard manifold is warped. Its all I can come up with, I mean has anyone else ever run into anything like this, I really think my cheapness has screwed me this time. I guess there is a reason most people don't buy used manifolds.
So I ordered two NEW manifolds that will be here by the weekend, so round three and I got a new Victor Rentz metal manifold gasket on the way,

Any comments, advise, criticism, suggestions, or experiences appreciated,

Brian

Knuckelhead 06-26-2013 11:03 PM

Why not use a flat surface and some sandpaper to see if the manifolds are warped?...

Andy-WhiteTJ 06-27-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckelhead (Post 15612464)
Why not use a flat surface and some sandpaper to see if the manifolds are warped?...

x2

When I switched from my header to the 2 piece manifold design, I bought the manifold from Davey's and didn't have any issues.

2003RubiBlue 06-27-2013 08:42 AM

I will have to do that when I take it apart again.

MorganDan 06-27-2013 01:37 PM

I had the same problem, used a gasket and some copper RTV, problem fixed. I have a factory manifold for sale (not warped) if your needing a new one. Cleaned and coated, only has 25,000 miles on it. $100 with gasket. Let me know if your interested and I'll send you photos. Shipping might be a problem tho, I live in St. Louis...

GOLENJEEPTJ 06-27-2013 06:56 PM

I would take a two foot level myself to check the head and the manifolds for being flat...easy way ,also did you hit the alignment pins correctly on the head when mounting the manifolds?

2003RubiBlue 06-27-2013 10:08 PM

Alignment pins are good, i triple checked them. I am really leaning towards a warped manifold, since the intake seals fine against the head. I received two new manifolds and a gasket from brown santa today so Saturday is D day. Although aernt the alignment pins only for the intake, I don't recall them indexing the exhaust manifold side of it.

2003RubiBlue 06-28-2013 09:39 PM

BTT I am starting this project Sat morning.

sreilly1 07-25-2013 03:38 PM

just replaced my exhaust manifold

I hope you guys can help me. I just replaced my exhaust manifold and now when i start the motor it immediately wants to redlline. What would cause this?

jeepwrangler97 07-25-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreilly1 (Post 15718510)
I hope you guys can help me. I just replaced my exhaust manifold and now when i start the motor it immediately wants to redlline. What would cause this?

If the gasket/intake manifold isn't seated properly it will do that. Check to make sure all the bolts are torqued properly & everything is seated right.

Sent by a messenger bird

MorganDan 07-25-2013 04:28 PM

Gasket is not sealing properly. I used the copper rtv with the gasket and it stopped.

KeyserGogo 07-25-2013 04:55 PM

When I went to an aftermarket header (not your case, but stay with me), the header flange was contacting the intake manifold webbing ever so slightly and would allow the bolt to torque, but kept the exhaust flange from seating properly. Once I found the interference point, I clearenced some of the webbing and some of the header and it has worked fine ever since. This was with a 99+ intake manifold but a header designed for a 1998. Again, your situation is a little different, but it's something else to check for.

sreilly1 07-27-2013 11:30 AM

Jeepwrangler97...you were right. I did not have the pins lined up below. Took a mirror and light to find them. Because of this i did not have a good seal. I re-seated the intake manifold. Got the back pin in 1st and hand tightened the bolt next to it. Then i worked in getting the front one lined up. Used a pry bar for persuasion, then tightened the bolt next to it. Then i hand tightened all bolts. Then went back and torqued them all in sequence. Since i am by no stretch a mechanic, i am pretty happy with the results. Total of 10 hours work, not including research and YouTube video time. Also changed the thermostat in that time.
:2thumbsup:

jeepwrangler97 07-27-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreilly1 (Post 15724599)
Jeepwrangler97...you were right. I did not have the pins lined up below. Took a mirror and light to find them. Because of this i did not have a good seal. I re-seated the intake manifold. Got the back pin in 1st and hand tightened the bolt next to it. Then i worked in getting the front one lined up. Used a pry bar for persuasion, then tightened the bolt next to it. Then i hand tightened all bolts. Then went back and torqued them all in sequence. Since i am by no stretch a mechanic, i am pretty happy with the results. Total of 10 hours work, not including research and YouTube video time. Also changed the thermostat in that time.
:2thumbsup:

Glad you got it taken care of :cheers:

Sent by a messenger bird

The time now is 12:17 PM.