Exhaust issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust issues

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
stockstuck
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Exhaust issues

So, I just replaced my stock catalytic converter with a magnaflow universal fit cat. At the same time I figured I may as well go ahead and replace the cat-back. I decided to go with the dynomax exhaust. When I tried to install these parts, I realized that both the cat and cat back together would not be the correct length to fit around the axle and would not fit together due to the size of the piping. I cut small pieces of piping to link the pipe coming from the manifold to the cat and then another link from the cat to the muffler. To create a seal I used exhaust u-bolt clamps and filled in gaps with a heat and moisture resistant putty, a certain type of exhaust joint and crack and sealer. Will this hold off-road? Is there another way I can seal the joints? How much might it cost to take it to someone to have them weld the joints? I also think i may need to bend the tailpipe away from my trailer hitch, as it is about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch from it. Anybody done anything similar to this? What did you do? Where might I be able to get this done for cheap?

stockstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Cesaros
2000 TJ Wrangler 

$45 for welding at a good muffler shop. $90 at a Mineke or Midas or any other POS national chain.

You can get liquid welding puddy at autozone or advance. Mix it up, cake it on, and after a day of driving it will harden and seal almost as well as having it welded.

If your exhaust hangers are strong enough, it will hold offroad. I would suggest replacing your stock hangers with much stronger ones.
Cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalytic converter , dynomax , exhaust , magnaflow , muffler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.