Exhaust hitting passenger side upper control arm mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust hitting passenger side upper control arm mount

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
05RedRME
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Exhaust hitting passenger side upper control arm mount

So I just installed my JKS BL and Brown Dog MML and my UCF Extra clearance tummy tuck, and my issue is my exhaust is hitting on the passenger side upper control arm mount. I have already modified the exhaust hanger to keep the muffler off the skid but now its hitting on the mount and rattles like crazy. What is the easiest way of fixing this problem? Can I dent the exhaust easily or do I have to take it to muffler shop? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

05RedRME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ditch the stock muffler
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedRME View Post
So I just installed my JKS BL and Brown Dog MML and my UCF Extra clearance tummy tuck, and my issue is my exhaust is hitting on the passenger side upper control arm mount. I have already modified the exhaust hanger to keep the muffler off the skid but now its hitting on the mount and rattles like crazy. What is the easiest way of fixing this problem? Can I dent the exhaust easily or do I have to take it to muffler shop? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
You have two passenger side upper control arm mounts on the frame. One is located in the front of the rig and the other is in the rear of the rig. The "exhaust" consists of at least three different parts, two of which commonly contact the mounts, front and rear if you relocate the belly skid.

Which end of the vehicle are we working on here?
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
05RedRME
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ha, My bad Blaine, it is hitting on the front upper control arm mount.
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ha, My bad Blaine, it is hitting on the front upper control arm mount.
Take it to the exhaust shop and have them cut a small section out of the tube(s) that wrap around the front of the oil pan and weld it back together. Not too much or you might cook the starter.
Unread 07-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
05RedRME
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Take it to the exhaust shop and have them cut a small section out of the tube(s) that wrap around the front of the oil pan and weld it back together. Not too much or you might cook the starter.
OK, thanks Blaine.
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did you make sure the manifold bolts were tight?

When I installed the 2" "original" UCF skid, the exhaust hit the front PS CA mount. Turns out it was sagging a bit from loose bolts. I also had the exhaust hanger lengthened that is welded to the cat.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
05RedRME
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've read numerous people use a BFH, a pry bar and a block of wood to dent the pipe to clear the bracket. My question is how are people doing this? Where are you wedging the pry bar and wood?
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Cut 3/4" out of the transmission mount, weld it back together and relocate the cat hanger 1" lower, works for me...
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
05RedRME
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've already modified the hanger and have the muffler and cat where they can be with clearance all around them. So I can't modified it anymore other wise the muffler will hit on the skid and the cat will be pressed against the tub. Just trying to figure out how people clearance the pipe the 3 tools listed above.
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've already modified the hanger and have the muffler and cat where they can be with clearance all around them. So I can't modified it anymore other wise the muffler will hit on the skid and the cat will be pressed against the tub. Just trying to figure out how people clearance the pipe the 3 tools listed above.
Why don't you just do what I told you to and be done with it?
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:39 PM   #12
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you modify the transmission mount? That will allow for less tilt/swing of the exhaust pipe near the RH side of the engine...
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #13
05RedRME
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Why don't you just do what I told you to and be done with it?
I was trying to do the cheap route but I will more then likely do it your way Blaine.
Unread 08-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #14
05RedRME
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, Blaine how much do you usually have to cut out of the pipe? Or is just cut little by little til it works?
Unread 08-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #15
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey, Blaine how much do you usually have to cut out of the pipe? Or is just cut little by little til it works?
View the pipe and the control arm mount from the front. Kinda visualize how much it would have to move towards the engine to clear and take a bit more than that amount out of the crossover around the front of the oilpan where it's the straightest. When you get done if you do it right, you won't even be able to tell the exhaust has been modified.

Tags
exhaust , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.