JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Exhaust hitting passenger side upper control arm mount (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/exhaust-hitting-passenger-side-upper-control-arm-mount-1075109/)

05RedRME 07-23-2010 05:29 PM

Exhaust hitting passenger side upper control arm mount

So I just installed my JKS BL and Brown Dog MML and my UCF Extra clearance tummy tuck, and my issue is my exhaust is hitting on the passenger side upper control arm mount. I have already modified the exhaust hanger to keep the muffler off the skid but now its hitting on the mount and rattles like crazy. What is the easiest way of fixing this problem? Can I dent the exhaust easily or do I have to take it to muffler shop? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Imped 07-23-2010 05:44 PM

Ditch the stock muffler

mrblaine 07-23-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05RedRME (Post 9839671)
So I just installed my JKS BL and Brown Dog MML and my UCF Extra clearance tummy tuck, and my issue is my exhaust is hitting on the passenger side upper control arm mount. I have already modified the exhaust hanger to keep the muffler off the skid but now its hitting on the mount and rattles like crazy. What is the easiest way of fixing this problem? Can I dent the exhaust easily or do I have to take it to muffler shop? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

You have two passenger side upper control arm mounts on the frame. One is located in the front of the rig and the other is in the rear of the rig. The "exhaust" consists of at least three different parts, two of which commonly contact the mounts, front and rear if you relocate the belly skid.

Which end of the vehicle are we working on here? :rofl:

05RedRME 07-23-2010 05:56 PM

Ha, My bad Blaine, it is hitting on the front upper control arm mount.

mrblaine 07-23-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05RedRME (Post 9839818)
Ha, My bad Blaine, it is hitting on the front upper control arm mount.

Take it to the exhaust shop and have them cut a small section out of the tube(s) that wrap around the front of the oil pan and weld it back together. Not too much or you might cook the starter.

05RedRME 07-23-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine (Post 9839841)
Take it to the exhaust shop and have them cut a small section out of the tube(s) that wrap around the front of the oil pan and weld it back together. Not too much or you might cook the starter.

OK, thanks Blaine.

-dirt- 07-26-2010 09:21 AM

Did you make sure the manifold bolts were tight?

When I installed the 2" "original" UCF skid, the exhaust hit the front PS CA mount. Turns out it was sagging a bit from loose bolts. I also had the exhaust hanger lengthened that is welded to the cat.

05RedRME 07-31-2010 10:06 PM

I've read numerous people use a BFH, a pry bar and a block of wood to dent the pipe to clear the bracket. My question is how are people doing this? Where are you wedging the pry bar and wood?

Knuckelhead 07-31-2010 10:12 PM

Cut 3/4" out of the transmission mount, weld it back together and relocate the cat hanger 1" lower, works for me...
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ad/kmount1.jpg

05RedRME 07-31-2010 10:23 PM

I've already modified the hanger and have the muffler and cat where they can be with clearance all around them. So I can't modified it anymore other wise the muffler will hit on the skid and the cat will be pressed against the tub. Just trying to figure out how people clearance the pipe the 3 tools listed above.

mrblaine 07-31-2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05RedRME (Post 9884283)
I've already modified the hanger and have the muffler and cat where they can be with clearance all around them. So I can't modified it anymore other wise the muffler will hit on the skid and the cat will be pressed against the tub. Just trying to figure out how people clearance the pipe the 3 tools listed above.

Why don't you just do what I told you to and be done with it?

Knuckelhead 07-31-2010 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05RedRME (Post 9884283)

Did you modify the transmission mount? That will allow for less tilt/swing of the exhaust pipe near the RH side of the engine...

05RedRME 07-31-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine (Post 9884324)
Why don't you just do what I told you to and be done with it?

I was trying to do the cheap route but I will more then likely do it your way Blaine.

05RedRME 08-01-2010 10:25 PM

Hey, Blaine how much do you usually have to cut out of the pipe? Or is just cut little by little til it works?

mrblaine 08-01-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05RedRME (Post 9889027)
Hey, Blaine how much do you usually have to cut out of the pipe? Or is just cut little by little til it works?

View the pipe and the control arm mount from the front. Kinda visualize how much it would have to move towards the engine to clear and take a bit more than that amount out of the crossover around the front of the oilpan where it's the straightest. When you get done if you do it right, you won't even be able to tell the exhaust has been modified.

The time now is 07:45 PM.