Exhaust Clogged? Tramsmission problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Exhaust Clogged? Tramsmission problem?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
johnnyb1187
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Exhaust Clogged? Tramsmission problem?

I am having a problem with my '99 TJ Wrangler. When I start driving first thing in the morning, it runs GREAT. Whether I drive 10 miles or 150 miles, no problems at all. After I get out of the Jeep and let it sit for 30 minutes to a few hours, I start driving again it runs great at first. Once I get about a mile down the road and try to gain speed (usually from 30-40mph), it starts to hesitate and lose power. When I push the clutch in, it idles fine and I can rev up the engine it does fine. Once I try to ease off the clutch, it starts again and will do this for about 20-30 seconds, then runs fine again. It will be fine no matter how many miles I drive. It makes some loud popping noises some times too and then runs fine. It sounds like the pops come from the exhaust side of the Jeep. Almost like a back fire Anyone else ever have this issue?

It started to do it after I was wheelin through a lot of mud one day. The tailpipe coming from my muffler is loose and there is a hole where the pipe should be connected. The tail pipe is still there but there is about a 1/2 inch gap around it. Could mud/dirt have gotten in there and caused this issue? Any way I can test to see if the exhaust pipe is clogged or the cat converter?

johnnyb1187 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.