Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Exaust Gas Recirculating gizmo question

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  jcm11881 
#1 ·
My 97 TJ finally threw a code:2thumbsup: Seems funny but I've been chasing a stuttering problem. Can anyone tell me if the computer, when opening the EGR valve, does anything as far as fuel mixture? The valve is faulty, doesn't open, and I smell gas under the hood. Jeep seems to be starving for fuel within a quarter mile of driving or a few minutes at idle. It only does it once each time and then its fine till I shut down again. I can stop the stuttering by revving the engine a few times. NO Vaccume leaks, pump pressure/leak down ok. New TPS. seldome throws a code so I get excited when it does.

#2 ·
hmm this is interesting,you have a egr valve?my 97 doesn't have one.Could be other things causing a cold studder,maybe worn valve seals letting oil foul the plugs etc.

#3 ·
I think the 4 banger has a EGR valve. If the trabsduser is bad it will pull the valve open before the engine warms up and cause a stuttering problem. Replace the valve and the transducer together.

#6 ·
Ok, OK its the Charcoal Cannister Purge Solenoid that is not working. Checked it according to manual. (Im new at this mechanic thing) (Threw Code 31) No crack in lines. Is this a dealer part? I cannot seem to find this part anywhere. Any suggestions.

#12 ·
Not sure if the location is the same on 97-98s but if you look at your evap equipment mounted on the drivers side fender dead center of that rats nest of hoses and wires should be a black plastic circle thing that kinda looks like an EGR valve. Thats the EVAP solenoid. Though looking at mine I don't know if its rebuildable...

#13 ·
The Solenoid is just foward of the charcoal cannister mounted to the fender on rubber bushings. The vacuum lines go right to it. Cleaned out what I could but the electronic part is not accessable. The manual (haynes) says to apply 12 V power to the terminals briefly and it should click..(It doesn't) Local parts stores don't have and cannot get. I looked at a friends 2001 4 banger and it has the same exact part. Am I calling this part the wrong thing???

#14 ·
Lt. Yummy said:
The Solenoid is just foward of the charcoal cannister mounted to the fender on rubber bushings. The vacuum lines go right to it. Cleaned out what I could but the electronic part is not accessable. The manual (haynes) says to apply 12 V power to the terminals briefly and it should click..(It doesn't) Local parts stores don't have and cannot get. I looked at a friends 2001 4 banger and it has the same exact part. Am I calling this part the wrong thing???
maybe take it off your friends and throw it on yours and see if it still happens. Then if it doesn't you could be pretty sure its the part...Try the dealership, they should be able to get it

#15 ·
Lt. Yummy said:
Thats the right part

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.