Ever happened to anyone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ever happened to anyone?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-05-2008, 12:03 AM   #1
Grey01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ever happened to anyone?

Bad news..the jeep which is my dd is currently out of service. I was parking on the side of the road today and as i started to pull forward from a stop, the car lurched forward about 3 feet (similar to how it lurches if you kill it), popped into neutral, and the clutch went to the floor.

The jeep kept running but after i pulled the clutch back out, it became very hard to push all the way down, and now i cant even get it into any gear. After i turned it off and got it pushed into a better spot, my brother and i tried to start it up again to see what was up. now the car has a hard time turning over to start and also does not sound how it should. It sounds like the whole engine is just binding up when i try to start it and it sounds awful.

Now im assuming i need a new clutch, but whats up with it not starting and turning over so hard? Has this ever happened to anyone? I didnt notice any difference in the way the jeep ran or drove before this happened, it seemed very random

Oh and i think its in my info but its a 2001, I6, 5 spd

any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks

Grey01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Why did I read this?!?!? I swear, every time I read about something wrong with someone else's Jeep mine catches it (blower resistor, broken D35, broken passenger seat cable, ect) Now you just killed my Jeep, thanks.

Just kidding, I cant help but here is a free bump for you.
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post

Last edited by cpleasant; 06-05-2008 at 01:37 AM..
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 01:27 AM   #3
bigchevyman24
2000 WJ 

Sounds like the throwout bearing...might as well replace the clutch while you're in there. The throwout bearing should come with a clutch kit...around $175 plus installation

SOLD: 2000 WJ 2WD CONVERTED TO 4X4, 97 TJ ON 35'S, 95 XJ ON 33'S
bigchevyman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
dodgetk81
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would guess its the clutch master or slave. Check the fluid and see if the master is empty. If it is it something blew out and you need a new one. You dont need to remove the trans to change.
Unread 06-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Grey01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses, but would those cause the car to not start while in nuetral?

I also discovered that the breaks are really hard to press now, and theres no power steering when the key is in the on position
Unread 06-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
HipCheck_1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Power Steering does not work well if the engine is not running.
Low Ouput 4-cyl Jeep club member #151
HipCheck_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
Grey01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipCheck_1 View Post
thats what i suspected, but wasn't positive..
Unread 06-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
06rubicon
1998 ZJ 

You may have some clutch parts wedged between the flywheel and the bellhousing causing the engine to bind.
06rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
jeepman44
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetk81 View Post
I would guess its the clutch master or slave. Check the fluid and see if the master is empty. If it is it something blew out and you need a new one. You dont need to remove the trans to change.

This situation does sound like the throwout out bearing. If i were you i would replace the whole clutch if you are going to be in that area of the car
Unread 06-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
walldk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good Advice

Step away from from the vehicle and seek professional help.
walldk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #11
jeep_freek
wishin' I was wheelin'..

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipCheck_1 View Post
what a dipstick you are for saying that..! That's like saying the alternator doesn't charge when the engine is stopped. Try and be part of the solution, not the problem.

Now back to the question..

sounds like the clutch took a dump for sure.. and why the engine wouldn't restart..? How's your battery.. and the cables..?

-Bruce
White Jeep Club Member #630 '93 toyota std cab sb 4x4 on 32's
o_o_o_o
/| ,[_____],
|ŻŻŻL--O||||O-
()_)Ż()_) ŻŻŻ )_)
jeep_freek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
Grey01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_freek View Post
what a dipstick you are for saying that..! That's like saying the alternator doesn't charge when the engine is stopped. Try and be part of the solution, not the problem.

sounds like the clutch took a dump for sure.. and why the engine wouldn't restart..? How's your battery.. and the cables..?

-Bruce
We tried charging the battery right away..had some jumpers on it for a while, and it still does the same thing..

the engine turns over but just sounds terrible while doing so, and it doesn't ever start up

We pulled it back down to the dealer this morning..pushed it up onto a car trailer and pulled it with my buddy's ram. The dealer i got it from is in a city just south of my about 15 miles away, and the best price i could get on a tow was about $120..i was not doing that. I've had the jeep for about 2 months now, so i'm hoping that the dealer will try to back their name a little bit and cut my some sort of deal

Me and my bro decided to just try the dealer instead of doing things ourselves. He's a diesel mechanic and he knows his way around..but its just that..hes a diesel mechanic, and he tries to stay away from cars. Also if the dealer wont do anything for my, i know a guy thats about 3 buildings down the road that has a garage, so he'll help me out
Unread 06-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your clutch uses an external slave cylinder that is held to the bell housing by two bolts. Remove those two bolts then pull the slave cylinder which has a plunger protruding out of it away from the bell housing. Don't let the plunger fall out of the slave cylinder housing and into the bell housing, that will ruin your whole day though it's not prone to do so. That plunger is what moves/controls the clutch mechanism. Then watch/feel the plunger as someone moves the clutch pedal up and down. Does the plunger move in and out as the clutch pedal is moved up and down? Does the plunger move out forcefully as the clutch pedal is depressed? If so, then the problem is clutch related and you'll have to pull the transmission to see what's happening. If not, you just have a hydraulic clutch linkage problem that is very easily fixed.

If it's clutch related, you can go to www.dialaclutch.com/ and buy a complete Luk clutch kit (avoid the Centerforce clutches, they're overpriced and don't have any benefits for a Jeep) for around $130 or so. Their kit will include a new clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and clutch alignment shaft. Good luck with it.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #14
HipCheck_1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_freek View Post

-Bruce
The OP was trying to equate a lack of power steering to the rest of his problems so I kindly took that out of the equation for him. Everyone already pointed to the throw out bearing/clutch. It also looks like it helped him based on his reply to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey01
thats what i suspected, but wasn't positive..
So who is the dipstick now?
Low Ouput 4-cyl Jeep club member #151
HipCheck_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #15
metal123123
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the master, or slave in regards to the clutch issue. A simillar deal happened to me when i had my xj and when I had a look at it the slave had a leak. I pulled the tranny replaced the slave and all was well. hope that helps
metal123123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.