The evap system - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The evap system

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
L_TJ_02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The evap system

Hello all ,

I have searched here and searched other forums. I even bought the Chiltons book, but am unable to find the info I need. I have been plagued with the dreaded P0455 major leak in the evap system. I replaced the gas cap twice, I have never refueled with the cap off. I have looked under the hood for any broken lines or not plugged in ones. I get anywhere between 15 minutes to 2 hours with the check engine light turned off before it turns back on.

Does anyone have a drawing/schmatic <sp> or photos of the systems and where everything is so I can find my leak?

I was at the dealership and inquired how much the smoke test was and they told me $99 to $149 depending on the super secret squirril variables. Now that is it warm I would like to climb under, in & around and get this fixed. I have a 2002 X with the I6 and auto tranny, no A/C.

Thank you for any assistance in advance.

Bob

L_TJ_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #2
wmsetser

There should be a 5yr. warranty on all emission controls systems. That should
include the Evap. system....Not sure if that covers labor but, parts can be really
expsensive! Keep an open mind towards useing your dealer..
wmsetser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
L_TJ_02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsetser
There should be a 5yr. warranty on all emission controls systems. That should
include the Evap. system....Not sure if that covers labor but, parts can be really
expsensive! Keep an open mind towards useing your dealer..

I purchased it used, so I only got a 3 month/3000 mile warranty. Plus I purchased from a dealer an hour away. I try to not wish ill will on people, but they really are pushing my buttons. They originally told me it was the gas cap and left it at that. The sales person was so slow to respond to me my warranty was up before I was able to get back with him. At this point I think I will just have to fix it myself. I am hoping it is just a broken hose or something easy and cheap. I just don't know where all the parts are and what the parts look like.

I am going back to a different dealership this friday, I will see if they would be willing to work with me on getting it fixed without the major expense. I was hoping they would do the smoke test without a charge when I mentioned it last time.

Bob
Unread 03-13-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
nota4re

Bob,

The feds mandate an emissions warranty that is 8 years or 80,000 miles and the manufacturer must pick up the cost of repairs during that period. You can "Google" for more info, but here's one such document on the topic;
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt

Best of luck.

'07 White 4-door Rubi
nota4re is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting... I'm getting the P0455 code as well. Mine started after a Kilby gas tank install though. I cleared the code by disco'ing the battery for a few minutes. I'm currently waiting to see if it will come back. I sure hope not . I tightened up the gas cap and checked all lines that I could get to. Everything seems tight as a drum so who knows. I loosened the gas tank straps as well. Just gonna have to wait and see what happens.

As far as your situation is concerned... according to my FSM the evap system is located behind the fender liner on the passenger side. PM me your email address and I'll email you the pic straight out of the FSM I have saved in PDF format .
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2006, 11:11 PM   #6
nota4re

Quote:
according to my FSM the evap system is located behind the fender liner on the passenger side.
You are correct, thejafe, that's where your evap components are.... but they moved there in 2003. For lechtanski's '02, the evap components are under the hood near the master brake cylinder.

thejafe, assuming your P0455 started immediately following your Kilby install, I would go back and make sure each of your connectors pushed together with a very audible "click". I suspect that one of them is not connected all the way. There are two connectors (plus the fuel connector) on the driver's side, up high but very reachable. Try pulling each one apart without releasing the clip, or just try pushing them together to get the "click". If these are OK, pull your right rear fender liner out and check the large gray connector that has the same type of connector. It should also click in.

Best of luck.

'07 White 4-door Rubi
nota4re is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
L_TJ_02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nota4re
Bob,

The feds mandate an emissions warranty that is 8 years or 80,000 miles and the manufacturer must pick up the cost of repairs during that period. You can "Google" for more info, but here's one such document on the topic;
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt

Best of luck.

Thank you very much, I am going back to the new dealership on Friday. I printed it out and will take it with me. maybe it will work. I read through it and I am not sure it applies being we don't require testing here, but I will run it up the flag pole and see.

Thanks again,
Bob
Unread 03-14-2006, 06:22 PM   #8
apxpred
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just had the same problem, cleared the code & it came back. A little time under the hood & I found a cracked hose. Infront of the master cylinder, there's a diaphram valve going into a black box & IIRC there is 2 hoses attached on the other end, one was cracked. I bought a small radiator hose from Napa (right size) & replaced, no more problems. Hope you get yours cleared up as easy.
Unread 03-15-2006, 04:45 PM   #9
L_TJ_02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apxpred
Just had the same problem, cleared the code & it came back. A little time under the hood & I found a cracked hose. Infront of the master cylinder, there's a diaphram valve going into a black box & IIRC there is 2 hoses attached on the other end, one was cracked. I bought a small radiator hose from Napa (right size) & replaced, no more problems. Hope you get yours cleared up as easy.

So the bulk of the system is infront of the Master Cylinder? Ok. I was wondering what all that stuff was. I will have to examine all of those hoses more closely.

That has been my biggest problem, I don't know which pieces belong to what systems. I know the major ones like the master cylinder, horn, and the engine etc, but I am by no means a mechanic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.