Error Code P0456 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Error Code P0456

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 01-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
SpitNine

Error Code P0456

Had this pop up a couple of weeks ago.
Bought new DCX gas cap but check engine light refuses to go away.
Any other causes that cause P0456 (very small leak.....) that are an easy fix?
Thanks.

Garvin Wilderness Front and Rear Bumpers
It's only a machine. You can love it if you want but it will not love you back. VOTE!
SpitNine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
garthbrown
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Cracked hose?

I had a cracked evap hose coming off the fuel rail causing this. With a full tank, the check engine light would clear, but at about 3/4 tank it would come back on.

Replacing the hose would have been very expensive, so I just wrapped it neatly in tape (it was a tiny crack) and all seems well.

Would have been hard to find if I didn't know I'd kinked it a little in that spot when I was installing my Warn gas tank skid plate...
garthbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
PearlJam1003
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check your gas cap. You can even buy a new one at the dealership or Pep Boys for $9.
PearlJam1003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
SpitNine

New Gas Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam1003
Check your gas cap. You can even buy a new one at the dealership or Pep Boys for $9.
The gas cap is a brand new DCX cap. Light still on.
Am looking for other causes that might be a simple fix.
Thanks.
It's only a machine. You can love it if you want but it will not love you back. VOTE!
Unread 01-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
imbezol
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Disconnect your battery for about 20 minutes and reconnect. That should clear the code. If it doesn't come back, don't worry about it. My Jeep has thrown that code twice and both times it went away on its own after a week or two. It's usually because the gas cap was not sealed properly after filling.
imbezol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
mezzmo
2004 WJ 

I bought a used 01 cherokee from a dealer and 2 weeks after I bought it I got that same code. Took it back to the dealer, they said it was fixed and to make a long story short, after the 13th time I took it back to them, they bought it back. They replaced every part of the evap system but the code would not go away. I'm not saying that is what is happening to yours, but that code can be very hard to fix. Although, when the dealer bought it back, that's when I got my TJ. So I guess it was for the best.
Unread 01-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
GA_JEEP

Refueling with the engine running will also give that code.
GA_JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 07:15 AM   #8
SpitNine

Did It Last Time...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbezol
Disconnect your battery for about 20 minutes and reconnect. That should clear the code. If it doesn't come back, don't worry about it. My Jeep has thrown that code twice and both times it went away on its own after a week or two. It's usually because the gas cap was not sealed properly after filling.
The last two times I got the "gas cap code" it did go away by itself after a couple of days with a new cap installed. This time it's NOT going away after over two weeks with a brand new DCX cap.
Is this code a warranty repair? I have the 7/70,000 warranty on my Wrangler.
Thanks.
Unread 01-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
imbezol
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd just wait a bit longer. Go another 2 weeks and see if it clears.

That said, if the dealership says it's warranty then maybe you can just take it in. Personally I hate going to the dealership unless I absolutely have to because it takes a week to get it in and then they make me leave it there a day or two or don't look at it when they say they will etc.. just like to stay away from there as much as I can. Especially for something so trivial as P0456.
imbezol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Roman_Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbezol View Post
I'd just wait a bit longer. Go another 2 weeks and see if it clears.

That said, if the dealership says it's warranty then maybe you can just take it in. Personally I hate going to the dealership unless I absolutely have to because it takes a week to get it in and then they make me leave it there a day or two or don't look at it when they say they will etc.. just like to stay away from there as much as I can. Especially for something so trivial as P0456.
I just got the same code; reset the gas cap and cleared it with my code reader; we shall see if it comes back. If you want a decent code reader that will give you live data and the ability to clear codes check out the Innova brand of readers.

It has been my experience that "fixing" the problem doesn't always clear the codes; you can try to reset the computer by killing the power via disconnecting the battery if you don't want to invest in a reader.

Mark
Roman_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
WahooCreek
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Roman Engineer, my fellow Northeast Georgian, welcome to JF.

You might fill out your profile when you can.

If you've got a TJ then P0456 could be several issues. I'd start by checking for even minimal cracking in the rubber lines which connect the hard lines in the evap system. Crawl under driver's side, just behind front wheel. You'll see hard lines coming down firewall, connected to rubber lines which in turn connect to hard lines on the frame. That's where my problem was. Good luck.

By the way, nice old thread you pulled up.
WahooCreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
JimOberg
2008 KK Liberty 

PO456 code

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitNine View Post
Had this pop up a couple of weeks ago.
Bought new DCX gas cap but check engine light refuses to go away.
Any other causes that cause P0456 (very small leak.....) that are an easy fix?
Thanks.
I had the same code several times. Tried 3 new caps including one from Jeep Dealer. Best fix that has lasted is to apply silicone grease to the rubber seal on the cap and a little on the fuel inlet. No more codes in the last 9 months.
JimOberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #13
godxzilla
2006 TJ Wrangler 

just got this code this morning, had no idea what it was but I cleared it with my reader. Thanks for the info here. I'll check the cap when I get outside later.
godxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #14
williambmac
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What year is your jeep? Newer TJ's (03-06) where the vapor canister is located in the rear are prone to having the flex line rub on the body and developed a leak. I have repaired several of these.
Gas caps are always an issue on jeeps, the o-ring gets hard and brittle with age and doesn't seal.
Make sure you get a factory replacement cap. I have seen aftermarket caps cause problems.
Then there is also the possibility of a bad vent soleniod, purge solenoid or vacuum line.
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #15
godxzilla
2006 TJ Wrangler 

its an 06. How do I access the canister to check for the leak? I'll also check the cap, and see if the code returns.
godxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.