Error code P0306 misfire... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Error code P0306 misfire...

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 11-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
swoodnj

Error code P0306 misfire...

Yesterday the Jeep started running a little rough, hesitating here and there, not so much under acceleration but when just coasting along with the gas pedal partially down. After a little while the check engine light came on. Gave me error code P0306, misfire on cylinder 6.
Two things happened right before this:

1. Topped up the tank (at a place I go to all the time and never had a problem)

2. Had the oil change done at the dealer (got coupons for free oil changes when I got the Jeep).

So, I picked up a bottle of that gas tank treatment stuff, and after a while the Jeep started running better. It still does hesitate here and there, but not nearly as much as yesterday.

What would you all do? I'm wondering if I should just drive it and if it keeps getting better reset the computer? Or is it possible the dealer did something when doing the service? I know nobody can answer these questions, more or less just wondering if, in this situation, you would chance driving it some more.
Thanks.

Steve W

[color=silver]Bright Silver[/color] Metallic Clear Coat Exterior Paint Club member #18
swoodnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2005, 10:07 PM   #2
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

04, it is called under warranty. Take the damn thing in.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2005, 05:15 AM   #3
swoodnj

Well, I thought of that, but I'm past the 3/36k mark (got 50k on the Jeep), and if it is something like bad gas I'm afraid they'd charge me an arm and a leg since it wasn't their fault...
[color=silver]Bright Silver[/color] Metallic Clear Coat Exterior Paint Club member #18
Unread 11-06-2005, 06:05 AM   #4
AjRagno
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoodnj
Well, I thought of that, but I'm past the 3/36k mark (got 50k on the Jeep), and if it is something like bad gas I'm afraid they'd charge me an arm and a leg since it wasn't their fault...
Have you checked the plugs? They should be changed every 30,000 miles. If I had a single cylinder misfire, the first thing I'd do is check the plugs.
AjRagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2005, 06:55 AM   #5
swoodnj

I did them around 35K, will pull #6 out and see what it looks like, good thought.
Unread 11-06-2005, 07:57 AM   #6
StealthTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjRagno
Have you checked the plugs? They should be changed every 30,000 miles. If I had a single cylinder misfire, the first thing I'd do is check the plugs.

A mis-fire, as reported by a code(s) is almost never ignition related (spark plug, wire, cap, rotor, etc) and is almost always fuel delivery related ( injector(s), wiring to injector(s), etc )

Fred
[b]Misc[/b] - Tera 2wd lo.
[b]Tires[/b] - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
[b]Recovery[/b] - Warn XD9000i
StealthTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2005, 07:02 PM   #7
swoodnj

Well, some fresh gas and more dry gas has gotten it to the point where it only hesitates once in a while. I'm betting another tank or two and it will be forgotten...
Except for my wife's Neon. Was fueled up at the same gas station. The mechanic never suspected bad gas, and has replaced the cap and wires, coil, injectors, etc. to the tune of $523. When I called him about the bad gas in the Jeep they drained the fuel tank, found water, topped it up with fresh gas and dry gas and all is well. Now what do I do, go after the gas station that served up the bad gas? It's owned by an elderly couple who I've been getting gas from for years. Will more than likely just suck it up and pay for it...par for the course for me...:-(
Unread 11-08-2005, 07:20 PM   #8
BobboTJ

I dont know man but it sounds like you are getting hosed if you ask me...
-Black Steelies
-Custom Fabbed Front Bumper
-Herculined Tub
Comin soon-4.10's, 1" BL/MML, Skids
BobboTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2005, 08:43 PM   #9
DietCola

I had a misfire in cylinder #1 (P0201). I changed the plugs and wires - nothing. Today I changed the fuel injector in that cylinder (almost as easy as changing your oil) and it seems to be fixed...no code and it drives/runs fine.
33x12.50x15 Firestone Destination M/Ts
15x8 Crager D-Hole Rims
[/CENTER][/FONT][/COLOR]
DietCola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2005, 08:48 PM   #10
StealthTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCola
I had a misfire in cylinder #1 (P0201). I changed the plugs and wires - nothing. Today I changed the fuel injector in that cylinder (almost as easy as changing your oil) and it seems to be fixed...no code and it drives/runs fine.

Mmmmmm, how 'bout that.....

From my post above:

Quote:
A mis-fire, as reported by a code(s) is almost never ignition related (spark plug, wire, cap, rotor, etc) and is almost always fuel delivery related ( injector(s), wiring to injector(s), etc )

Fred
[b]Misc[/b] - Tera 2wd lo.
[b]Tires[/b] - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
[b]Recovery[/b] - Warn XD9000i
StealthTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.