error code p0122 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > error code p0122

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
YoungJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

error code p0122

The check engine light came on in my 2003 rubicon. I scanned the code and it came up p0122, which is throtle body sensor/switch. The light when off and has stayed off, so i leaving it alone. Has anyone expierenced this code, and can it lead/ruin to other problems/parts. Thanks
natale

YoungJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

P0122 - Set Condition: Throttle Position Sensor voltage at the PCM is lower than 0.1 of a volt for 1.3 seconds.

POSSIBLE CAUSES
TP SENSOR SWEEP
INTERMITTENT CONDITION
(K7) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
(K7) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
TP SENSOR
(K22) TP SENSOR NO.1 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(K22) TP SENSOR NO.1 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K4) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
TCM INTERNALLY SHORTED THROTTLE POSITION SIGNAL CIRCUIT
PCM

If it returns, I'd start with a cleaning of the throttle body and TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). If it happens again, replacement of the TPS may be necessary.

3 = TPS
4 = IAC
untitled7-web.jpg  
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Pointblank

Mine threw the same code a couple months ago. It was still running fine so I unhooked the battery to clear the codes to see if it would throw it again. Ran fine for a few weeks with no further CEL's or codes. Then the CEL came on again, and this time it was running rough. Same code appeared so I replaced the TPS and alls well again.
Unread 01-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
YoungJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thankks for the advice! Do either of you remember if you had to calibrate the new sensor, that would be my only hesitation of replacing it myself.
YoungJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

TPS Removal 4.0L
The TPS is mounted to the throttle body.
(1) Remove air cleaner tube at throttle body.
(2) Disconnect TPS electrical connector.
(3) Remove TPS mounting screws
(4) Remove TPS.

TPS Install 4.0L
The throttle shaft end of the throttle body slides into a socket in the TPS (Fig. 34). The TPS must be installed so that it can be rotated a few degrees. (If the sensor will not rotate, install the sensor with the throttle shaft on the other side of the socket tangs). The TPS will be under slight tension when rotated.
(1) Install TPS and retaining screws.
(2) Tighten screws to 7 Nm (60 in. lbs.) torque.
(3) Connect TPS electrical connector to TPS.
(4) Manually operate throttle (by hand) to check for any TPS binding before starting engine.
(5) Install air cleaner tube to throttle body.

Please note: the torque is inch pounds, not foot poounds.
tps-web.jpg  

Last edited by robncar; 01-05-2008 at 09:13 AM..
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #6
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungJeep
Thankks for the advice! Do either of you remember if you had to calibrate the new sensor, that would be my only hesitation of replacing it myself.
No calibration. Good luck with that. Search and you will find my method of the hammer and screwdriver removal for them. I've changed two. That code will come back. Mine did that.
Unread 01-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
sveipe
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I got the same code after I installed my alarm, I guess it have something to do with tapping into the tach wire. I used a wire tap, I am gonna try do a proper soldered splice and see if that helps.
sveipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
KrisBenagh
2003 JK Wrangler 

My check engine light came on this morning with the same code. P0122, and it is running a little shaky. Is it expensive to fix and will replacing the TPS take care of this?
KrisBenagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2008, 03:47 PM   #9
pgurt1

I'm getting the same error message P0122.
My gas milage is down 15-25% depending on if on the main roads or in the mountians. I also lose power going up the mountains and have to play with the gas peddle to get it to rev up again.
Are these symptoms typical of a TPS malfunction?
pgurt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #10
pgurt1

Is there some type of clasp holding the connector to the TPS? I tired removing it to clean the contacts and it does not want to come off. I've looked around for some type of clip holding it place but do not see anything.
pgurt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Silver04TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

On mine you just pushed down on the plug that connects to the TPS and it slid right off. Changed my TPS this past weekend due to my CEL coming on all the time and it throwing the P121,122,123 codes. Seems to be find now though.
33x12.5x15 Cepek Fun Country II!!
M8000 Warn Winch with in cab controls
And the accessory every Jeep should have...DIRT/MUD!
Silver04TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #12
70_challenger
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgurt1 View Post
Is there some type of clasp holding the connector to the TPS? I tired removing it to clean the contacts and it does not want to come off. I've looked around for some type of clip holding it place but do not see anything.
Look for a lock on the connector (usually a black or red slider type lock). I am not sure which applications use them. Once it is 'unlocked', you should be able to remove the connector pretty easily.

-Tom
70_challenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #13
vitaminwater
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Had the same problem...60 dollars later its fixed. Make sure you use a good quality torx bit...

[CENTER]4.0 I6|5 speed|D30, D44 Posi|OME Steering Stabilizer|Homemade Discos|Riddler Diff Covers|31x10.5 Firestone Destination M/T[/CENTER]

Build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=577509[/url]
vitaminwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 11:25 AM   #14
dskey56

WILDWM Jeep New Hampshire

Had Code P0138 and P0121. Since P0138 was Ox sensor. I went for the TPS. Jeep was running rough also.

The torque screws were hard to get at with my torque bits. So I un bolted the 4 10mm carb bolts and was able to stand the carb up so I could loosen
the two screws.

Also if you do it this way be careful with the casket and cover the intake manifold hole where the carb was so you don't drop anything down there.

Taking the four bolts off allowed me to complete the job in 15 minutes.
dskey56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #15
JeepDoo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

subscribed, i need to do this install too.
We've got too many gangsters doin dirty deeds. Too much corruption and crime in the street. It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground. Send them all to their maker and he'll settle them down. - Toby Keith & Willie Nelson

[URL="http://www.norcaljeepers.net/forum/"][FONT="Century Gothic"][B][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]NOR CAL JEEPERS FORUM[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/sound-system-upgrades-speakers-amps-what-you-need-know-964324/"]Want to hear the music in your TJ, look no further...[/URL]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="White"][B]Longboard Drunk, Jeep Naked, Ski Powder[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR="LemonChiffon"][SIZE="1"]and finish calculus homework[/SIZE][/COLOR]
JeepDoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.