error code 1281 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > error code 1281

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
ferger
2002 TJ Wrangler 

error code 1281

I've done a search and the only hits I get are people posting the error code lists so I figured that I woud ask specifically. My check engine light came on this morning, I noticed it right after I had to come to a sudden stop (slamming the brakes) it might have been on before that I don't know though. I did the turn key thing and that code that came up was 1281, I looked that up and it says "The engine is staying cold too long - check your thermostat." I'm pretty much a newbie so I have no idea what to do. Is this a serious problem? an easy fix? Any help would be great.

ferger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
HolidayJeep
Want pie now.

2001 TJ Wrangler 

If it's the thermostat it's a 7 dollar part and a very easy install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapahoe
Not to brag, I was the valid victorian my senior year. Best and the brightest of the bottom of the barrel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle
thunderspork
HolidayJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check out the write-up below. On page 2 is where it starts to talk about swapping the t-stat.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/ra...radiator-4.htm
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #4
ferger
2002 TJ Wrangler 

is it going to be a problem if this doesn't get done right away? Im leaving for the shore 2 hour drive) in a couple of days and im going to be relly busy until then.
Unread 07-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Jerky bump
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferger
is it going to be a problem if this doesn't get done right away? Im leaving for the shore 2 hour drive) in a couple of days and im going to be relly busy until then.
Hate to sound like a wet rag.....
If it is the thermostat- For the amount of trouble and cost to change it- I mean you could overheat in 15 minutes if it failed and put a serious damper on your trip.
Jerky bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
Combatsylvania

i agree... change it out.. iit could be done in the amount time it took you to turn on your computer and post the thread.

[URL="http://www.combatsylvania.com"]http://www.combatsylvania.com[/URL]
Combatsylvania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
ferger
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ok sounds easy enough, do I need just a new thermostat or do I need a new gasket and housing too? Also I looked around and I'm not sure if I need a crown thermostat or a stant thermostat.
Unread 07-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
Jerky bump
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferger
ok sounds easy enough, do I need just a new thermostat or do I need a new gasket and housing too? Also I looked around and I'm not sure if I need a crown thermostat or a stant thermostat.
The dealership will have the thermostat -sometimes very competitive on price also. Yeah, new gasket and you should be alright. Not sure if you'll need rtv for the bolts. I used to use it on the threads, just in case coolant got to them.
I doubt one brand is a whole lot better than another-small stuff I usually go to the dealer on. OEM and all.
Be kind to your pets and clean up any spills. 1tsp. may= dead Rover
Jerky bump is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.