error code 1281 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > error code 1281

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
ferger
2002 TJ Wrangler 

error code 1281

I've done a search and the only hits I get are people posting the error code lists so I figured that I woud ask specifically. My check engine light came on this morning, I noticed it right after I had to come to a sudden stop (slamming the brakes) it might have been on before that I don't know though. I did the turn key thing and that code that came up was 1281, I looked that up and it says "The engine is staying cold too long - check your thermostat." I'm pretty much a newbie so I have no idea what to do. Is this a serious problem? an easy fix? Any help would be great.

ferger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
HolidayJeep
Want pie now.

2001 TJ Wrangler 

If it's the thermostat it's a 7 dollar part and a very easy install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapahoe
Not to brag, I was the valid victorian my senior year. Best and the brightest of the bottom of the barrel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle
thunderspork
HolidayJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check out the write-up below. On page 2 is where it starts to talk about swapping the t-stat.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/ra...radiator-4.htm
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #4
ferger
2002 TJ Wrangler 

is it going to be a problem if this doesn't get done right away? Im leaving for the shore 2 hour drive) in a couple of days and im going to be relly busy until then.
Unread 07-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Jerky bump
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferger
is it going to be a problem if this doesn't get done right away? Im leaving for the shore 2 hour drive) in a couple of days and im going to be relly busy until then.
Hate to sound like a wet rag.....
If it is the thermostat- For the amount of trouble and cost to change it- I mean you could overheat in 15 minutes if it failed and put a serious damper on your trip.
Jerky bump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
Combatsylvania

i agree... change it out.. iit could be done in the amount time it took you to turn on your computer and post the thread.

[URL="http://www.combatsylvania.com"]http://www.combatsylvania.com[/URL]
Combatsylvania is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
ferger
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ok sounds easy enough, do I need just a new thermostat or do I need a new gasket and housing too? Also I looked around and I'm not sure if I need a crown thermostat or a stant thermostat.
Unread 07-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
Jerky bump
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferger
ok sounds easy enough, do I need just a new thermostat or do I need a new gasket and housing too? Also I looked around and I'm not sure if I need a crown thermostat or a stant thermostat.
The dealership will have the thermostat -sometimes very competitive on price also. Yeah, new gasket and you should be alright. Not sure if you'll need rtv for the bolts. I used to use it on the threads, just in case coolant got to them.
I doubt one brand is a whole lot better than another-small stuff I usually go to the dealer on. OEM and all.
Be kind to your pets and clean up any spills. 1tsp. may= dead Rover
Jerky bump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.