engine tear down - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > engine tear down

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
twshutika
2000 TJ Wrangler 

engine tear down

i have to replace my rear main seal, and since i have the 2.5L it is a one piece seal.

i have decided to then go ahead and pull the engine and also replace all the seal on the engine as well. top and bottom ends,

what else would you guys recommend doing while i have the engine out, , , and no replacing it with a bigger engine isnt on the table.

Mod List: Rough Country, Genright, JCR, AA, Tom Woods, Mile Marker, Pro Comp, maxxis, Hi-lift, OTRATTW, Rigid Industries, Riddler, garmin, ViAir, Mastercraft, Smittybilt, Pure Jeep, JKS, Rampage http://www.blackhillsjeeps.com
twshutika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 06:19 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Really only few oil seals you going to replace, the main and the one on the front behind the dampener and the valve cover gasket, the timing cover and the pan gasket.. If the water pump has not been replaced, then now is a good time also. Same for thermostat.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

if you are going to have the oil pan off I would go ahead and pull one of the rod caps and one of the main caps and take a look at the bearings. make sure you don't see any copper.
Unread 02-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you are going to tear it apart, you should just buy a full rebuild kit and do it all. That way you won't have to pull it again in 10k miles to rebuild it.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I agree with mustang, pull a bearing cap from a main and a rod. But, be prepared for what durango spoke of.

In addition, replace the oil pump while the oil pan is off.

How about removing the transmission, leaving the engine in the jeep and working from below?
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
twshutika
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango-bob View Post
If you are going to tear it apart, you should just buy a full rebuild kit and do it all. That way you won't have to pull it again in 10k miles to rebuild it.
im not going to lie, i didnt know you could buy a whole rebuild kit, this is probably what i will look into actually doing.

thanks

Mod List: Rough Country, Genright, JCR, AA, Tom Woods, Mile Marker, Pro Comp, maxxis, Hi-lift, OTRATTW, Rigid Industries, Riddler, garmin, ViAir, Mastercraft, Smittybilt, Pure Jeep, JKS, Rampage http://www.blackhillsjeeps.com
Unread 02-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
twshutika
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjeep1 View Post
I agree with mustang, pull a bearing cap from a main and a rod. But, be prepared for what durango spoke of.

In addition, replace the oil pump while the oil pan is off.

How about removing the transmission, leaving the engine in the jeep and working from below?
oil pump, water pump, and thermostat will most likely get replaced too, as they are ( as far as i know) 13 years old. . . lol. . .

i thought about pulling the tranny, but i figure i have engine stand and hoist, plus i am probably going to do metalcloaks while i have the engine out so it will all get done in one swoop. . . .

Unread 02-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
Pine_Cat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you're up for a full rebuild, then you might consider replacing your crank with a 4.2L crank plus the 4.2L short rods. There are blue-printed, new cranks for sale (see, e.g., 505 Performance), so there's no need to search for used. Such a budget long-stroke conversion will boost your displacement to 4.5L (or greater, if you need to bore out the cylinders), and will have quite a noticeable effect on your low-end torque and trail performance.

It's not done very often because few of us trust ourselves to do a full rebuild correctly, but, if you have the skills, it's a low-cost way of getting a great performance boost.
Pine_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine_Cat View Post
If you're up for a full rebuild, then you might consider replacing your crank with a 4.2L crank plus the 4.2L short rods. There are blue-printed, new cranks for sale (see, e.g., 505 Performance), so there's no need to search for used. Such a budget long-stroke conversion will boost your displacement to 4.5L (or greater, if you need to bore out the cylinders), and will have quite a noticeable effect on your low-end torque and trail performance.

It's not done very often because few of us trust ourselves to do a full rebuild correctly, but, if you have the skills, it's a low-cost way of getting a great performance boost.

Wrong advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twshutika View Post
i have to replace my rear main seal, and since i have the 2.5L it is a one piece seal.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #10
twshutika
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine_Cat View Post

thanks for the info, but i have the 2.5L and the 4.2 crank will unfortunately not work for me. . . lol. . . as for the skill, im a mechanic full time so trusting myself is pretty easy. . .

i think i am going to go with a kit from perfect engine http://www.perfectengine.com/Jeep_2_...h-rcj150ep.htm
then also throw in a new water pump and thermostat .

Unread 02-18-2014, 05:46 AM   #11
Pine_Cat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to have shot from the hip, as I was multi-tasking yesterday, and got so excited about the rebuild concept that I didn't read the thread
Pine_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.