Engine Swap ! 2.5 to 5.2 Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Swap ! 2.5 to 5.2 Help!

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right hereJK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Unread 10-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
stevelucas
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Engine Swap ! 2.5 to 5.2 Help!

Hey guys, I have seen a few posts but nothing apples for apples and I wanted to know if I could pick your brain for a bit.

I just bought a 97 TJ with a blown 2.5L standard. I also just bought a '01 Ram 318 5.2L engine with the 46RE transmission and NP231 transfer case. The wiring harness, PCM, alternator, AC compressor, blower, and stock headers also came with the donor motor.

I have read several forums and some are close but none are exactly what I am doing part for part. Can you give me a little bit of direction here? I am not a mechanic by no means (I own a security business) but I follow directions well. Electrically I am very savvy but knowing what mechanical parts to exchange, etc.

Basically here are my questions:

What make and model radiator do I buy?
Since the transfer case came with my donor do I need to change?
If I go with an electric fan, I don't have to alter the stock driveshafts, right?
I have heard mixed feelings about replacing headers. Which ones should I get?
What is your preference on motor mounts?
Will the stock skid plate bolt up to the tranny/transfer case without mods? If mods are needed, which ones?
On the wiring harness and PCM from the donor, do you have a wiring diagram?
Are there any electrical/mechanical do's and don't's that immediately cross your mind?
Again, I have the 97 TJ and 01 Ram, anything incompatible?

I know this is more than just picking your brain but I am truly at a loss here and am not sure where I should start. Any information you have would truly be helpful. Thank you and God Bless!

Last edited by stevelucas; 10-03-2013 at 08:35 AM..
stevelucas is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

bum. im in the same boat looking to swap to a magnum. how much u pay for the motor and all that less than 1k?
2001 orange tj 2.5L (113,000) 35" Km2 Black rims D lp 30 Front and d 44 rear with ARB 1"BD MML, 1.25" BL, 4" RC Lift, Flat tc Skid, Adj rear ca's (front soon) TW rear DS, Novak shifter cable, JB ss SYE, RE angled rear trackbar, 8,000Lb Mile marker, Custom front and rear (w/swing) bumpers. Homemade CAI. Lots more to come.
rbkelley89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
stevelucas
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got a great deal on a motor and tranny with less than 80,000 miles on it. You should expect to pay around $800
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wr...ssion-1365878/
Have you seen this thread?

I used the Oconee off road conversion radiator. It is a copper tanked single core and cools my rig just fine. The hose hook ups are too small for the dakota hoses however. I ended up using the stock 2.5 hoses, but im not running a A/C compressor.

Your donor T-case should be good to go. If you have a slip yoke eliminator that would be worth keeping.

If you run the stock driveshafts you should be able to run the truck fan and clutch. I am running a truck clutch with a ZJ fan and a 4.0 shroud. Its perfect even keeps the stock overflow tank.

Headers I used the summit block huggers they are really the only style that fit if you want to push the engine back towards the firewall and keep the stock shaft lengths.

I used the Advanced adaptors and ground the location pin off the back so I could customize.

Skid plate will bolt right up. It mounts to transmission so you might have to customize the mount. I modified my ax5 mount to fit the ax15 I am running.

Wiring harness diagrams you are obviously making a custom one. I downloaded one for my jeep and one for my donor truck from mitchells1. Then went pin for pin you will have to get creative with the firewall connectors and make sure you get the fuel pump and fuel sender in there. The downstream O2 is also in the firewall connectors vice the engine harness on the trucks. Just take it slow and double check every thing. I also remember the injectors getting their power off the firewall on the jeep instead of from the engine harness. The grounds for the throttle body stuff and the O2 sensors get a bit custom as well, the colors didn't match and the ground points are different on the magnum. I eliminated the grounds near the A/C compressor and combined them into one which I put to the fuel injector rail bolt.

I think you are good to go as long as you are going to keep the auto trans. Keeping the auto might change some of my experiences vice the radiator fan and driveshaft positions. I am running an AX15 and that is what my experiences are based on. I basiclly marked my frame where the T-case needed to land and made the engine mounts fit where they needed to.

Good luck I'm really glad I did it. But I have yet to get better than 15MPG so figure that accordingly.
Unread 10-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
sheriff1680
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have the 5.2/ 46RE in mine. I used the Advance adapter mounts....worth the money. This combo fits nicely with the transfer case in the factory position meaning stock driveshaft lengths. The factory ram exhaust manifolds fit fine with no firewall mods at all. I used the ram clutch fan as well as the ram power steering pump and pressure hose. The TJ power steering return hose works fine. Use the TJ transfer case with the input shaft from the ram 231. Don't try and use the one from the ram. Different output shaft and shifting set up.

I'm still running the stock TJ rad. I just built a pipe to cross over the lower hose. Ran it last summer in 115F and no problems. A TJ 4.0 fan shroud fits nice.

I also still have the D35 with 4:10s. It has stock shafts and LSD with 33x10.50s. Lots of people will tell you that it'll explode as soon as you back out of the driveway. I've beat on mine for 3 years and it's been fine. Up to you if you want to buy into the internet hype and replace it.
1997 TJ, 5.2 Magnum V8, 46RE, NP231, 4:10's.....

I hear voices.
sheriff1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
stevelucas
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1680
I have the 5.2/ 46RE in mine. I used the Advance adapter mounts....worth the money. This combo fits nicely with the transfer case in the factory position meaning stock driveshaft lengths. The factory ram exhaust manifolds fit fine with no firewall mods at all.
So you didn't have to get new headers? I have read so many forums that said you needed to! I just laid $250 for some [doh!].

I appreciate all if the helpful input. Can you explain a little more about not using the np231 that came with the ram engine and tranny already? Thanks a mil sheriff!
Unread 10-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
stevelucas
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also, any input on going from manual in my TJ to switching to the auto in the 46re? I think this is the list I need:
Auto shifter assembly
Auto handle
Gear indicator bezel
Shift cable
Brake pedal assembly with pad
Clutch master block off
Shift cable bracket

Any other items anyone can think of? Are these parts year/make/model specific? Any recommendations?
Unread 10-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
stevelucas
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsean0308 View Post

Wiring harness diagrams you are obviously making a custom one. I downloaded one for my jeep and one for my donor truck from mitchells1. Then went pin for pin you will have to get creative with the firewall connectors and make sure you get the fuel pump and fuel sender in there.
I paid the $16.99 for the monthly subscription to this site (a little pricey ) but I can't seem to figure out how to download any of the diagrams. I can view them and short of PRTSCR and paste to Microsoft Paint and Cut and Paste into Microsoft Word I can't seem to figure out how to transfer the images so I can print them. Any suggestions here?
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
sheriff1680
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Stock ram manifolds work perfect when you have the 46RE. If you use an AX15 the engine has to be moved back due to the trans being shorter if you want stock driveshafts. Maybe you can return the headers?

The parts you have listed sound right for the auto shifter.

I hear voices.
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
stevelucas
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The parts you have listed sound right for the auto shifter.
Any suggestions on year/make/model on the auto shifter components? Do these come out of a TJ or Cherokee or what?
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
sheriff1680
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got my shifter and cable from a 1997 xj. The gear indicator was from a
TJ and the shifter cable bracket that goes on the side of the trans came off a 1998 ZJ.

I hear voices.
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
stevelucas
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I got my shifter and cable from a 1997 xj. The gear indicator was from a TJ and the shifter cable bracket that goes on the side of the trans came off a 1998 ZJ.
That's great info. Are there any lights within the gear selector showing current gear ( P R N D...) ? If so how does that wire in, just tap into parking light circuit?
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
sheriff1680
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When you get the shifter just grab the light and its wiring along with it. I can't remember where I hooked it to, I think there is a connector in the under dash harness for it.....

I hear voices.
Unread 10-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelucas View Post
Also, any input on going from manual in my TJ to switching to the auto in the 46re? I think this is the list I need:
Auto shifter assembly
Auto handle
Gear indicator bezel
Shift cable
Brake pedal assembly with pad
Clutch master block off
Shift cable bracket

Any other items anyone can think of? Are these parts year/make/model specific? Any recommendations?
They used the same shifter assembly in the Cherokee sport. The pedal assembly is tj specific.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #15
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1680 View Post
When you get the shifter just grab the light and its wiring along with it. I can't remember where I hooked it to, I think there is a connector in the under dash harness for it.....
IIRC it was already laying there in my 98. I just added the bulb and plugged it into the new selector.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.