Engine swap from 2.4 to 4.0 ONLY PEOPLE THAT HAVE DONE IT OR KNOW HOW - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine swap from 2.4 to 4.0 ONLY PEOPLE THAT HAVE DONE IT OR KNOW HOW

JKS Grand Cherokee WJ, Adjustable Front Trackbar 1"-6Teraflex JK HD Hinged Carrier & Adjustable Spare Tire FREE, FREE, FREE EVENT!! Save big on Lockers now till Apri

Unread 09-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #1
jeepnoob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Engine swap from 2.4 to 4.0 ONLY PEOPLE THAT HAVE DONE IT OR KNOW HOW

Alright so lets get right to it. I NEED to do a swap no questions asked. I need to know if anyone has a write up or how to's to do it. My jeep is 2004 wrangler with 2.4 obviously and I have a 4.0 jeep that has been wrecked ready to buy ASAP so no one else take it. thanks.

jeepnoob04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2015, 07:10 PM   #2
jeepnoob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

the mechanical part of it I can handle but the biggest concern is the computer part of it
Unread 09-15-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
KrwlinTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnoob04 View Post
Alright so lets get right to it. I NEED to do a swap no questions asked. I need to know if anyone has a write up or how to's to do it. My jeep is 2004 wrangler with 2.4 obviously and I have a 4.0 jeep that has been wrecked ready to buy ASAP so no one else take it. thanks.
Quote:
the mechanical part of it I can handle but the biggest concern is the computer part of it
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/2-...derway-576008/

Homemade Snorkel
4.3 Chevy Conversion
KrwlinTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
jeepnoob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

yeah I saw that. I know its different year so I was wondering if there was any other specific I need to know since principally its the same thing
Unread 09-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
KrwlinTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

as long as it is a 2004 jeep tj wrangler that you are getting the parts from, then the only other thing that you will have to do is get the computer flashed with your vin and mileages and you should be good to go.. The swap is pretty much just like in the link above.

If it is not a wrangler then i would find a wrangler that has a 6 cyl and sell yours. there is more involved in trying to peice everything together from multiple donor jeeps. I know this first hand as i took on a basket case that my friend and i started on his 97 tj and then i ended up buying it from him/

Homemade Snorkel
4.3 Chevy Conversion
Unread 09-15-2015, 08:31 PM   #6
jeepnoob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

sorry for being a new guy but what do you mean to get the computer flashed with my vin and mileage
Unread 09-16-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Are you talking about the wiring?

The computer part is easy. Unbolt and unplug old computer, bolt in and plug in new computer for I6.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
jeepnoob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

will my transfer case off of my nv1500 fit on the 3550 i dont know if they used the same transfer case or have to buy a new one.
Unread 09-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #9
jeepnoob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep overhaul from 4 banger to 6.

Im switching out my engine from 2.4 to 4.0 and I was wondering if you guys know the list of **** I have to get to do it. Right now I have engine, transmission, transfer case, and the ECU or the computer lined up to buy. anything else I need that I missed? Thanks
Unread 09-16-2015, 06:25 PM   #10
Jeepsr4me

which trans you getting?? cause with auto you can reuse a driveshaft. If not gotta get those may as well get a SYE while you doing this
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #11
jeepnoob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am getting a manual trans
Unread 09-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #12
KrwlinTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

you gonna need the following:

1: 6 cyl motor, with the flywheel, possibly the starter as well.

2: 6 cyl computer

3: complete under hood wiring harness, and possible dash harness as well, just in case.

4: 6 cyl frame mounts-- you cut the old 4 bangers off and weld in the new mounts, once you get it lined up properly. No there is no measurement out there for this, so take all the measurements off the 6cyl jeep and lots of pictures.

5: exhaust manifold and front pipe from the manifold back.

6: complete air intake setup from the 6 cyl.

7: fan shroud and clutch fan from the 6 cyl.

8: power steering hoses from the 6cyl.

9: front and rear drive shafts.

10: upper and lower radiator hoses.

There is prolly some other stuff, but i can not think of anything.

Also if you plan on using you original tranny then you do not have to worry about changing out the transfer case. But if you are changing them make sure you get the transfer case with the tranny, other wise you might have to change the input shaft on your old transfer case. You can search these forum for that info on your year.

MAKE SURE- you measure as many times as it takes before you cut or weld anything on the jeep. Also do alot of reading thru the forums for questions you might have, cause we are not always here to answer your questions.

If anyone wants to add to the list please do.

Homemade Snorkel
4.3 Chevy Conversion
Unread 09-16-2015, 08:13 PM   #13
jeepnoob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks a lot man this will help me out a lot
Unread 09-16-2015, 09:38 PM   #14
goofballtech
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wiring Harness, possibly things like the fuse boxes, motor mounts are in slightly different spot i think.

Have you ever considered just going with a donor v8? I think the amount of work would be close to the same as what you are about to get into.
Unread 09-16-2015, 10:33 PM   #15
jeepnoob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

yeah but with a v8 I would need to change out more and I need this thing running. I would have to change a lot more with a v8 and I was trying to find one but its about the same price but would need more parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.