Engine Swap - 04 2.4 into 98 2.5 (both standard) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Swap - 04 2.4 into 98 2.5 (both standard)

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
JeepingSwan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Engine Swap - 04 2.4 into 98 2.5 (both standard)

I started this in another thread but since then, I've rounded everything up and am about to get started. I'll address the first question that I get asked, ... WHY? My 2.5 bearings are shot. Main Reason: I got a great deal on the engine/tranny. I chose this "upgrade" over slapping a crate 2.5 back in mine. I'd rather have an engine that was fine at 38k then try out a new/rebuilt engine. I like getting tilt and a slightly updated interior with the swap. I think I'll like the transmission a lot better. I've had electrical issues. My overall harness is in rough shape. I think it will get even better mpg (was getting 21 hwy before). I'm hoping this keeps it the reliable rig it's been for another 100k. My brother will be inheriting it fairly soon when I get a new Tj.

Currently, things are looking good. I found a guy who has the space and tools who will help me out for a fair price. Hopefully, We'll start tomorrow.

Parts List 2.5 to 2.4 swap

04 2.4 L engine - NV 1550-2500 Tranny (38k miles) / Exhaust to Cat
Radiator/fan combo
Harness in dash AND body from 05 LJ
Engine harness/cpu from donor engine
Full steering Column 06 W/ Key
Cluster from 04

Planteray Gear (np231) w/ 23 spline input/short
Throttle Cable 2.4

*As near as I can tell, the transfer case is going to end up in the same place so I'm hoping driveshafts are a none-issue. I haven't confirmed this, but my measurements are within a half inch.

- I'll need to crack the T-case and swap the planetary gear and figure out how to get my (very new) muffler and tailpipe adapted

The rest of this is very much plug and play. Can you guys see any places where I will find issues? Will my 03 dash harness receive the 06 steering column? Will there be pieces of my 98 body harness that will need to be modified?

Thank you guys in this forum who always help us not as advanced mechanics out! I'm sure I'll be asking questions along the way. I'll update as things get done and go smoothly or not... Cheers!

JeepingSwan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
dale347
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I did this swap in reverse last year and put a 2.5 in my 04. If I am remembering correctly the plugs where the engine, dash, and body harness come together are different and you should just get the body harness from the jeep the 2.4 came from if you can. That would also give you the nlvd system plugs you will need as well. If you didn't get the nlvd assembly try to get that that and the fuel lines and tank.
dale347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
dale347
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you need something you can't find let me know I have a lot of the parts from my 2.4 left over including the harnesses
dale347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
Jeepsr4me

a 2.4 jeep stock size rear driveshaft. The hook part of the tape is on the other ear of the driveshaft. Since measuring the tube part may not be accurate due to the weld.
What is a stock TJ 2.5 DS length?
04-se-rear-driveshaft.jpg  
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
JeepingSwan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale347 View Post
I did this swap in reverse last year and put a 2.5 in my 04. If I am remembering correctly the plugs where the engine, dash, and body harness come together are different and you should just get the body harness from the jeep the 2.4 came from if you can. That would also give you the nlvd system plugs you will need as well. If you didn't get the nlvd assembly try to get that that and the fuel lines and tank.
I have the full underhood (engine) harness with computer and I ordered up the dash instrument/cluster harness as well (from an 03). I thought that would come with the fuse box but from the image on ebay, I can't tell... so I'm not sure I have as much of it as I need. NLVD system? From the 98se to the 04se, the fuel pumps are the same. My gas tank is smaller at 15 gallons, but I don't see that being a huge issue. I guess I'm not seeing the need for the tank and lines... Yea what is the NLVD? I'm new to this engine...

Quote:
If you need something you can't find let me know I have a lot of the parts from my 2.4 left over including the harnesses
I really appreciate that! I'll give you a fair market price if I need some things. Too bad we didn't find each other when we were both in the middle of it...

I'm guessing I may need some of the dash harness. I'll PM when I get what I'm getting and figure out what I'm missing.... THANKS!
Unread 11-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
JeepingSwan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
a 2.4 jeep stock size rear driveshaft. The hook part of the tape is on the other ear of the driveshaft. Since measuring the tube part may not be accurate due to the weld.
What is a stock TJ 2.5 DS length?
Thanks for the pic! I'm gonna double check again, but I think I have determined that the front driveshafts from both powertrains are identical at 39.5." Which is nice!

Jeep needed to go 54 miles to get to the shop where I'm doing the swap.... It made it 46 miles before it stopped ticking... LOL about 7 miles before it's terminal destination, it made it's final departure... I honestly think I could feel something leave the jeep... I wasn't shocked on the highway when it happened.. I carefully drove off the highway and a suited gentleman gave me a little push out of the way. I walked across the street and bought a tow strap, and hooked it up to the WJ and yanked it to it's install spot. The new engine left the WJ and awaits it's new carriage. Work starts tomorrow.
Unread 11-24-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
JeepingSwan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Moving along... 2.5 is out!
Unread 12-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
JeepingSwan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The driveshafts were the same length indeed. All new U-joints replaced the originals.

The Tcase got its new planetary gear. That was a fun little project. Word of caution: Never consider tearing into the t-case without a Heavy Duty pair of snap ring pliers. After two hours wrangling with that thing, I turned into a lunatic and broke the thick smaller ring securing the input shaft.. thankfully my planetary gear included a replacement. I had to go buy the HD snap ring spreader to do the job. It wasn't hard at all besides the hiccup with the ring.

The purchased updated HVAC control got returned. The conversion was too intense with all that is happening to the jeep right now. I need to reverse the polarity on my existing unit, possibly mod the relay, and get it fused properly.

Most of the wiring is tedious but appears to be workable. Not having AC was a huge bonus here. Having a bare bones SE makes it easier. More on all the wiring later.

So with new clutch release bearing installed, the engine and tranny are in, tcase shortly to follow ... *note I found a Tcase nearby with 20k miles on it.. looks brand new for $225... think it may be the exact match (or I now have the gear to swap if not). I'm worried about the slight grinding I hear with mine and it wasn't full of shavings but they were in there here and there. Is the harsh sounds it's making more pronounced due to the lack of fluid? I mean I'd guess so, but never spun a tcase without lube before. I just don't want to tear into anything again anytime soon and even though I spent time making mine fit, I'm tempted to check out the younger one... make it more age appropriate for it's engine and tranny family. We'll see....

The absolute worst part... the upper intermediate steering shaft... I've been trying to figure this one out for a week and I still have no idea what the the deal is with these parts. There always seems to be an exception to the rule. I spent 12 hours online and just when I thought I had a known variable, it would end up unknown again. Somebody PLEASE explain these part differences if you know... I got 3 shafts off ebay (3 dif vendors), all different, all wrong...mislabeled, mispictured, etc... I think the only year that fits mine (given I have the no spline 06 column) is the 2001. Don't know that for sure though. Maybe there isn't one. it's a hair over 21 inches long and has no splines... how hard is that to find? Very... I got fed up and overkilled the problem: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C5Y4BS/...262KZG99S21V2I

I wouldn't normally do that. I'm a frugal guy by nature, but I really had it... you can't knock out those OEM knuckle joints either, punched in and set... joke.

That's all for now. I'll take some pictures early next week. Have a Good Jeepin' weekend!
Unread 12-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #9
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingSwan View Post
you can't knock out those OEM knuckle joints either, punched in and set... joke.
I've changed a few without issue, you just need a functional ball joint tool and a 3# hammer...
Unread 12-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
JeepingSwan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
I've changed a few without issue, you just need a functional ball joint tool and a 3# hammer...
I tried that. It looked like it wasn't an option and I didn't want to keep torquing and break ****. Read several threads that confirmed my suspicion. Are you talking about just breaking ****
Unread 12-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #11
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I tried that. It looked like it wasn't an option and I didn't want to keep torquing and break ****. Read several threads that confirmed my suspicion. Are you talking about just breaking ****
I actually use the Harbor Freight tool, put grease or antisease on the threads of the tool and tighten down till it looks like its going to distort the tool. Then take the 3# hammer and start whacking the inner axle "C" close to the ball joint. Tighten the tool and whack again, repeat as necessary.

You'll know when you're making progress when you see the ball joint start to move or you can tighten the tool a bit more.

If you tighten the tool too much you can bend or warp it... HTH
Unread 12-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #12
JeepingSwan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
I actually use the Harbor Freight tool, put grease or antisease on the threads of the tool and tighten down till it looks like its going to distort the tool. Then take the 3# hammer and start whacking the inner axle "C" close to the ball joint. Tighten the tool and whack again, repeat as necessary.

You'll know when you're making progress when you see the ball joint start to move or you can tighten the tool a bit more.

If you tighten the tool too much you can bend or warp it... HTH

Ok... I have a pretty heavy duty puller that fits exactly... I'll give it a shot and a whack and see what gives... I still can't really tell how you would go about reinstalling it. Basically, I'm trying to piece together two upper inter. shafts so I have the correct fittings and lengths. Thanks for sharing... hope it works
Unread 12-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #13
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I still can't really tell how you would go about reinstalling it. Basically, I'm trying to piece together two upper inter. shafts so I have the correct fittings and lengths. Thanks for sharing... hope it works
Basically you're just pressing the ball joint back in.

Good luck...
Unread 01-15-2015, 06:39 PM   #14
JeepingSwan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Update: WILL CRANK IT OVER TOMORROW AFTERNOON!

Everything is wired using the 04 2.4's native computer and engine harness, an 05 dash harness and 05 body harness. I only kept my tail light wiring intact and spliced into it. I have an 04 hardtop and it's now (after 6 years) wired up. I installed an 04 cluster, an 06 column, and the fuse box/interior wiring is all 05.

Wiring the 98 HVAC circuit consisted of splicing that wiring into two different fused power leads on the 04. One was fused in the glove (I used the subwoofer supply there), the other in the PDC, which was the power lead for the unused 04 HVAC circuit.

Wipers: If I indeed had an 04 harness like I initially thought, the whole wiring project would have been easier. I actually have an 05 body and dash harness and many wire colors changed, including the wipers. I spliced the wiper wires and didn't pay attention if they were ordered the same way on what looked to be the same plug. You may be able to just plug it in.

Running the new interior harnesses took time. It seems once you find a good location, then a better one becomes clear, and finally when you are a few steps further along, you realize the only one way it can go and need to backtrack. It's just a matter of patience and loving your jeep enough to care about getting it right.

The engine mounts are the same, but the brackets are NOT. I had to locate the right side engine mounting bracket as this wasn't on the engine nor the same as the 2.5. These are discontinued dealer only items. I was lucky to find a dealership that was clearing out it's out of date inventory on ebay. These need to come with the 2.4 or you face a serious amount of fabricating. Parts yards will sell it if they have a blown WRANGLER 2.4, but it's considered part of a complete engine, so don't count on finding it.

Exhaust: I have the 04 cat. I needed to completely trim off the outlet flange on that in order for a standard 2.5" to 2.25 " reducer to fit over the cat and into my muffler. Easy enough.

Power Steering: The 04 lines need to be used or find a new way to mount the reservoir. Pump is the same.

Radiator: The 2.5 Rad will fit, but I got the 04 rad/fan combo. If you use the 2.5 Rad, you'll need to source an electric fan and buy hoses.

Skid mounts: The NV1500 fits in exactly the same place as the AX-5. No driveshaft or mount mods necessary. Sweet.

T-case: I'm using mine. The 2.5 tcase input is the right length (short) but I needed to swap in a 23 spline planetary gear. Not a bad 2 hour job. I followed along with the bleepinjeep guy's youtube video on this. He finds most of the possible issues and does a good job addressing them.

Fuel: The lines from my 98 worked, just need to make a bracket as they don't quite match up to the 2.4 mounts. I know the tank is different as of maybe 03 and someone in this thread mentioned needing that. I don't believe that's the case, but I could be wrong.

That's it. I have my buddy doing the new u-joints, installing driveshafts and torquing down the engine tonight. I'm hoping all systems are go! I'll update after tomorrow when I crank it up. Pretty Excited! I'm all in at $2,100 right now (I got a good deal on the engine/tranny combo and I have done all the wiring and in cab work myself). This nearly doubles the value of my Jeep. I'm giving it to my brother so I don't care about that so much, but it appears to be a fruitful undertaking.
Unread 01-15-2015, 06:49 PM   #15
JeepingSwan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I'm curious how you found the performance difference doing this in reverse... Did you notice a little more low end torque and a little less on the high end?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.