Engine struggles to turn over. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine struggles to turn over.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
rowarmy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Engine struggles to turn over.

I have a 98 Wrangler and for the past month its become increasingly difficult for me to get her started... my normal start-up sequence goes like this:

1) turn key, hear knocking and whine... wait four seconds.... turn to off
2) repeat 1
3) after 3 or 4 seconds engine catches and starts

I have a Haynes manual has so many possible issues for "Engine will Rotate but will not start" that I really have no idea were to start

Is my starter going? My entire engine/powertrain is original, and runs great with 115K on them, except for a fuel pump that was replaced in december.... Any thoughts or tips on where I could troubleshoot would be appreciated

rowarmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The whine you describe is probably the starter spinning while not engaged with the flywheel. The knocking is likely the starter teeth trying to engage with the flywheel teeth but not quite fully.

I'd first check the wiring for any faults or damage.

If the wiring looks fine then I would suspect the starter to be going bad. Sometimes starters crap out without a warning and other times they slowly die on you.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
wkmincey
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How old is your battery? It is possible the battery is bad or going bad or the starter/solenoid is bad. Take the starter out and go to the local auto parts store and have it tested. They can test the battery in the Jeep before you go through the trouble of taking the starter off and can probably "test" the starter while still on the Jeep as well, but the bench test for the starter gives better results and is more accurate in my experience.
Unread 07-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
Dryseals
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Check the starter solenoid. I have yet to do the one on this Jeep, but most of the ones from modern day engines are serviceable. The contactors in the solenoid which provide power to the starter are usually the culprit. They arc over and pit over time making a less than desirable connection. Makes the engine sound like it's dragging on start or bangs like yours is doing

Many I've seen, you can roll over the contactors or file smooth and be good for the next 100K.
Dryseals is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
rowarmy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

got the battery tested... good... still working on getting the starter's solenoid off, bolts are a pain in the butt to get to and are rusted on pretty good

its been working fine since i posted last (albeit I have to try to turn the engine over twice before it catches)... idk if the problem corrected itself or what but it starts and sounds a lot better now
rowarmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Douglas S.

It's only a matter of time until it fails completely. Address it now.

Tags
tj , wrangler , turnover , turn over , struggle , problem , help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.