Engine stalls at idle & while driving tries to stall, but doesn't.... No CEL. Ideas?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine stalls at idle & while driving tries to stall, but doesn't.... No CEL. Ideas??

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 11-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
mtngoat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Engine stalls at idle & while driving tries to stall, but doesn't.... No CEL. Ideas??

OK.... I have searched on the forum for stalling, fuel issues, O2 sensors, TPS issues, PCM issues and I have yet to find someone that seems to have had the same issues I am seeing.

Problem: Just since the weather has been getting colder, I will go out and start the jeep. It starts easy with no issues, idles fine, but will just stop (like I turned off the key). Ok.... I thought....it's just cold. Well last week it started "stopping" while I was driving. Not bucking or spluttering that you might see with an upstream O2 sensor, or bad gas....its like I just turned the key off and back on fast enough that the gauges start to fall back to off state then it resumes where it left off while driving.... It never jumps more than once at a time, but it may do that 2-3 times during the first 15 minutes or so of my daily 40 min commute....

I am completely stumped on this one....I also considered the possibility that the tranny was slipping (auto) but my tach doesn't spike high and it really acts like I shut it off and back on faster than the blink of an eye.... could it be a PCM issue?

Anybody heard or know of this kind of issue?

Thanks!

WTB: 2" Used OME Springs. PM me w/details

Live for Him.... because He died for you....!
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
mtngoat
2010 JK Wrangler 

I considered it might be an electrical issue, but to answer some of your questions first:

When it dies at idle, it just stops (like turning off the key), but all power is still on....radio, lights, etc... While driving, I feel a distinct, sharp lag, like when you hit a slick spot in the road and you lose tire grip. That is why I considered it might be tranny related, but I can see the gauges (tach, speedo) drop then climb back up, but it happens literally as fast as blinking and I do not notice any flicker in lights or distruption from the radio.

So I would be suprised if it was simply power related. I do not have any other noticeable electrical issues or symptoms. Could it be some computer issue, or is there a sensor that I am not familiar with that may cause this?

WTB: 2" Used OME Springs. PM me w/details

Live for Him.... because He died for you....!
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Bova20
1996 XJ Cherokee 

was there a solution? having the exact same problem
Bova20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Douglas S.

Check your battery cables.
Unread 09-01-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mine too. I have this problem. Any fixes?
Sidewaize is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
spencerk73
1997 ZJ 

Battery Cables can cause some funky things to happen. Check them first.
Unread 09-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Bova20
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Changed spark plug wires on mine seemed to help but it still hesitates with slight rpm drops occasionally.... not as bad as before. Next step im gona take is replacing my battery terminals to see if that will do the rest bc they dont look the greatest
Bova20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
joeygto
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

My jeep stalls when I am go 35 mph just stalls out sentry key light comes on
joeygto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
joeygto
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

my jeep the sentry key light comes on then it stalls out but starts right back up sentry key light stays on
joeygto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
venutoa
1997 TJ Wrangler 

1997 jeep wrangler

seeing same type of issue. my engine light is on. I know the crankshaft posiion sensor can send a signal to shut off the engine.
that could be it. my jeep would not start the other day and jiggled tge wires near battery and its started.
unsure at this point...but both of what people said in this article could be the problem

will post more when I figure it out
venutoa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
venutoa
1997 TJ Wrangler 

went to autozone and did ODB II scan. mine was the pickup sensor(cam shaft sensor) and the crankshaft sensor. I got batter error showing that it verifyies my thought of a short ....when I jiggled the wires and it started. not sure if the short caused my 2 sensors to go bad...but I'll be looking into rewiring or tracing a short. agggh hate that kinda work. any tips on finding a short? kinda have idea where it is.

I wish someone sold complete wiring harness and I would replace all my wiring

cheers!
venutoa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.