Engine stalling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine stalling

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-09-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
AL1951
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Engine stalling

I have a 2000 TJ 4.0/auto. It has recently starting stalling for no apparent reason. This happens regardless of temp, rpm, idling or moving (any speed). I have replaced the throttle positioning sensor and the MAP sensor. I have had a scanner on it several times, no codes. I have also checked the fuel pressure when "on" and when running. 43 and 48 respectivly. I checked the pressure after it stalled and got the same results. I am running out of ideas of where to check next.
Thoughts anyone?

Thanks

AL1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If I understand your post correctly, you state that the engine stalls randomly... While moving, stopped, accelerating, decelerating, etc.

Does it sputter at all? Always fire back up? Any hesitation? Any recent engine/eletrical mods. Did you use a new gas station? Does it feel any differant prior to the issue? Any recent wheeling? Do the gages do anything before/durring/after the stall? Have you reset the computer (who knows?)

Engines need 3 things to run: Fuel, Air, Spark.... We just need to figure out which one keeps disapearing (probably fuel or spark )
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
bobbert350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87warrior
If I understand your post correctly, you state that the engine stalls randomly... While moving, stopped, accelerating, decelerating, etc.

Does it sputter at all? Always fire back up? Any hesitation? Any recent engine/eletrical mods. Did you use a new gas station? Does it feel any differant prior to the issue? Any recent wheeling? Do the gages do anything before/durring/after the stall? Have you reset the computer (who knows?)

Engines need 3 things to run: Fuel, Air, Spark.... We just need to figure out which one keeps disapearing (probably fuel or spark )

yea that would defently help alot if you give a little more info.. also one more question does it stall when its wet or damp outside just another question?
88 jeep wrangler, 4.2, auto---cragar soft 8's, d35 locker, bucket seats with 5 point harnesses, warn bumper w/ grill gaurd, winch plate, kc daylighters, light bar, herc the interrior, rebuilt tranny (yay) with tranny cooler, winch and msd ignition, 3.5 inch fabtech lift, currie boomerang shackles f/r, weber carb...[B]

[B]Why only go anywere fast when you can go anywhere[/B]
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
AL1951
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It doesn't make any difference at what RPM or work load it is running, dry,damp,hot or cold. It just cuts out. There has been no work done recently. It doesn't give any noticable signs before stalling. Lights and gages stay on after stalling. No alert lights.
Unread 04-11-2007, 04:57 AM   #5
AL1951
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It doesn't make any difference at what RPM or work load it is running, dry,damp,hot or cold. It just cuts out. There has been no work done recently. It doesn't give any noticable signs before stalling. Lights and gages stay on after stalling. No alert lights.
Unread 04-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
JEEP97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I Just started having the same exact damn problem with mine!!, two weeks ago when it started. what a PITA. Check out my thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/jeep-wont-start-400306/
compare symptoms, seems EXACTLY the same. All the lights and stuff stays on.....stalls out of nowhere....mines a 97, 4.0L auto also!! Took it to shop last thursday, ran a diagnostic test, no codes came up. Driving my Jeep like this really bit me in the *** last night. I haven't had any alert lights either!!! Ive been looking into the fuel pump/sending unit, but I havent been able to pinpoint the problem.
Read over my thread, please let me know if you figure anything out.........its been the same exact problem.
Unread 04-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sure sounds like the Crankshaft Position Sensor is failing! Mounted next to the flywheel on the driver's side, the CPS provides the engine's master timing signal and without it, the engine will die.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #8
JEEP97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Sure sounds like the Crankshaft Position Sensor is failing! Mounted next to the flywheel on the driver's side, the CPS provides the engine's master timing signal and without it, the engine will die.

Thats a new suggestion----any other info/symptoms on that??
Replacement Part??
anything??
Unread 04-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
alvinl
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just had the crank position sensor replaced on my '98 TJ. It's kind of pricey, but fixed my problem. Sounds like your problems are similar to what I was experiencing. Here is the thread I created about my problem.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sudden-loss-power-392618/
alvinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #10
JEEP97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That is interesting. What I find weird is that with such a similar problem--engine cutting out---I have read about 'solutions' which include : TPS sensor, O2 sensor, Fuel pump/sending unit, fuel lines, and now CPS. Gonna drop it off at the dealership tonight, see if they find anything---they better. I just want to be able to drive my Jeep again.
Unread 04-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would just buy the CPS at the dealer and install it myself. It's only held onto the flywheel housing with a single bolt (two bolts on the 5-speed tranny version) and it just plugs in. The dealer will charge you an arm and a leg for diagnostics, the part, and the labor.

That your engine suddenly dies without warning is the symptom that lead me to the CPS. Those other items you mention would not generally cause intermittant complete engine stoppages.

Unread 04-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #12
JEEP97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I Searched Advanced Autoparts, they had quite a few to choose from, the second link has what I guess I would be looking for with the Automatic Trans. It isnt nearly as expensive as a fuel pump/sending unit assembly & installation. But, since the check engine light came on and stayed on when the engine would shut off and ignition still on, I think the dealership might be able to bring up a code. If theres no code, I will definitely think about ordering a new CPS, it'd be great if they would just find a code and repair it.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...osition+Sensor

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...pe=762&PTSet=A

Mr Bransford, you do not believe that a faulty fuel pump/sending unit would cause the engine to stall out without warning? How about especially (as of yesterday) during hard turns (especially left hand turns)?? I am not sure if theres a correlation, but I remember reading another thread about the engine cutting off on turns
I appreciate your suggestions
Unread 04-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The CPS has a bigger history of failing than the fuel pump does... which is not to say the fuel pump could not be failing. I can say this... replacing the CPS is sure a lot easier and less costly than replacing the fuel pump assembly.

Unread 04-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #14
JEEP97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed. Just searching out my options. Taking the Jeep (or attempting, since its at the shop which was conveniently at the bottom of the hill which my jeep cut out on last night) to the local dealership. They will waive the cost for a diag test if they find something wrong, so we will see. Next step is ordering a CPS then, not expensive, and i guess simple to install---do you have to remove anything to get access to the bolt, or just pop the hood up, unplug, unbolt, and put it in?
Thank you.
Unread 04-12-2007, 05:13 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing semi-difficult about replacing the CPS is getting your arm and socket wrench up to where it is. It's HIGH up on the driver's side of the bell housing, and you get at it from the bottom. It's definitely doable though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.