Engine spent going to stroke her - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine spent going to stroke her

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 10-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
jpross
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Engine spent going to stroke her

So i am getting cylinder 6 misfire and burning a quart of oil every 150 miles. I performed a compression test and i have going from cylinder 1 to 6 100, 170, 175, 175, 170, 60 psi. I'm looking at a complete rebuild. This kind of sucks seeing how i only have about 78k on the motor. I performed a leak down test for the heck of it on 1 and 6 and it is leaking out the exhaust on 1. And leaking out the oil cap on 1 and 6. I figure it will cost me close to 2k to get a new rebuilt engine and have it installed.... So instead The plan is to stroke it to 4.7. I want about 280ish hp and about 340 lb/ft. I hope to get out under 3k. I will send off the block and heads to get machine work performed and build the rest in my garage as well as install it.

I am at the beginning stages of planning this out and i need your help.

First question... What years/models can i get a donor block that will mate to my nsg 370? I have read 2000-2006 but i know the nsg was only offered limited years and i dont want to run the chance of building this badboy only to find out last minute it will not mate to the nsg.

To do this i will need:
Crank from 4.2 engine
Engine block
New head (mine may not survive running on 5 cylinders until i can make the swap)
Pistons
Cam
Push rods
Gaskets
High flow oil pump
Tstat
Rockers.. Do i need roller?
Better radiator?
Oil cooler?
Machine work on head
- what do you recommend?
Machine work on block
- bore to.060
- checked for cracks
- what do you recommend?
Fuel injectors
More money

So giving the last item which i will make happen, what do you suggest? If you have actually stroked your motor let me know.

Oh and i really want to put a lq9 in her but i cannot make that happen right now... So no comments about how i should just drop a v8 in there for a 'little' more money. I have done that on another jeep and realized the real cost.

I would like to plan on using 89 octane in the case i need to use higher. This is a daily driver.

So what do you think?

jpross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
richardprovince
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Personally I'd just get a clean 4.0 from the recycle shop. Around here you can get low miles for around $1000-1500. There is on near you for sale 80k for $1400.

If you really wanna rebuild yours punch it out. I've always wanted to but really don't find myself needing more gas to burn. I've talk to a couple guys at meets that rave about their strokes.
richardprovince is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Use the following link for a lot of good info. I ended up doing a 4.2 Mini stroker using a AMC 232 crank. Check out Rockauto for the crank. It will save you $$$ on a lot of the parts.
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

Not sure why you are looking for a different block to mate to the nsg370???

Engine block
New head (mine may not survive running on 5 cylinders until i can make the swap) Casting 7120 has the best specs. You can get a bolt on ported head with full vale train for about $600 at 505 performance
Pistons
Cam
Push rods
Gaskets Use Mopar Gaskets here with the .043 thickness
High flow oil pump Mopar here too
Tstat I used a Jet 185*
Rockers.. Do i need roller? That depends on a lot. Harland sharp makes a bolt on set. Hesco sells an upgraded stamped version
Better radiator?
Oil cooler?
Machine work on head
- what do you recommend?
Machine work on block
- bore to.060
- checked for cracks
- what do you recommend?
Fuel injectors
More money
Unread 10-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry the formatting got all jacked up when I clicked post. If you want to use lower octane fuel keep your quench nice and tight. I run a 10:1 comp ratio with .040 quench and have no problems running 87 octane (though I still run 89+)
Unread 10-11-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
SunnyinHolliste
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Rockauto sells an ATK remanufactured 4.0L under the Famous Brand name for your Jeep for $1608 + $510 core charge. The ATK stroker runs $3300 and then there is Golen or Hesco if you want to go that route.

To answer some of your other questions, on the Golen 4.6L that I installed here's what I have:

I'm running a Hesco water pump, thermostat housing and high flow thermostat with the stock radiator and have no cooling issues.
The fuel injectors are Bosch remanufactured 0280150947 4 hole 24lb from http://www.fuelinjector.citymaker.com/web_page.html
The cam is from Competition Cams, but I don't know the grind number
The oil pump is the Melling standard volume replacement. There is no oil cooler.
The block is decked, align honed, bored .030 over, and honed with a torque plate. They use moly rings which I prefer for easy break in.
The rods are SCAT forged units, but there is no reason you can't use stock rods and upgrade them with ARP rod bolts.
I'm running the stock rockers at this point.

Hope it helps
Unread 10-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
jpross
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Use the following link for a lot of good info. I ended up doing a 4.2 Mini stroker using a AMC 232 crank. Check out Rockauto for the crank. It will save you $$$ on a lot of the parts.
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

Not sure why you are looking for a different block to mate to the nsg370???
That is a good site, I am leaning towards the medium buck stroker recipe, but the mini stroker looks interesting too.

I'm looking for a different block so that I can keep driving the jeep while I build the engine in the garage. That way when it is done, I'll only have a weekend of downtime ideally. I found the information that I am looking for on the below article.

From what the article says, I can use a block from a 1999-2004 Grand Cherokee or 2000-2006 Wrangler.

http://4wdmechanix.com/pdf-downloads...er%20Motor.pdf

The article didn't mention any sort of tune for the computer. I wonder if I will anything like that for the distributor-less ignition.
Unread 10-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

What trans you have? If it's an auto it may not be up to the task of additional hp

Edit: fwiw the blocks from a 4.0 99-2004 grand Cherokee are different - engine mounts are in different locations.

I picked up a wrangler motor for my 99 grand and it was physically different
Unread 10-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #8
LaddieHanus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was on car-part.com (junkyard search) looking for a motor for my wifes WJ, so I tried engine block for a 2006 4.0 wrangler, It brought up blocks from 1999-2004 WJ and 2000-2006 TJ. There is no difference between auto and manual and the search didnt even ask.

P.S. You might want to add new OPDA if you are installing a new cam. Huge thread on that.

97 TJ Sahara
89 YJ
2000 Dodge/Cummins Lance Camper
2004 GC Limited (Wife Jeep)
LaddieHanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaddieHanus
I was on car-part.com (junkyard search) looking for a motor for my wifes WJ, so I tried engine block for a 2006 4.0 wrangler, It brought up blocks from 1999-2004 WJ and 2000-2006 TJ. There is no difference between auto and manual and the search didnt even ask. P.S. You might want to add new OPDA if you are installing a new cam. Huge thread on that.
I have heard this too but unable to visibly verify - as I forked out the coin for a WJ motor which cracked number6 piston again few years later .... Ugg
Unread 10-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #10
jpross
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was on car-part.com (junkyard search) looking for a motor for my wifes WJ, so I tried engine block for a 2006 4.0 wrangler, It brought up blocks from 1999-2004 WJ and 2000-2006 TJ. There is no difference between auto and manual and the search didnt even ask.

P.S. You might want to add new OPDA if you are installing a new cam. Huge thread on that.
good info. This is backing up what I have found so far. I have read all about the OPDA issue, I plan to use a new one in the build just to have the peace of mind to make sure it is right.

One thing I am concerned about is some people say the nsg has a different bolt pattern than the ax15 or ax5 but I think people are confusing the nsg370 for the JKs and the TJs... Others say they have made the swap from ax15 to nsg and that they had to move the cps. So I am thinking they are the same bolt pattern.

I am a little concerned about the strength of the nsg though... from what I have read and can remember it is only rated to 270 pound feet input.
Unread 10-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #11
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If your nsg370 was matted to a 4.0 on a tj then the bolt pattern is the same as the ax15 and nv3550. All the 4.0 transmission bolt patterns are the same for all years. The issue you could run into is the cps sensor location. The nsg370 does not have a provision for a cps in the bellhousing.
Unread 10-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #12
jpross
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Still researching this. At this point i have re considered the 4.7 medium buck stroker. It calls for offset grinding the 258 crank. Just to offset the crank is from what i can tell about $300 and then you need to consider different rods to fit the new grind and i think it would weaken the crank without further work. There is a 4.6 stroker recipe that works with the 258 crank as is and then .030 over. I'm thinking i'll go .06 over anyways.

Anyone have any opinions of deck plating vs not on the i6?
Unread 10-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #13
ptownTSI
1998 ZJ 

280hp/340lb ft. sounds like a nice task for a 5.9 swap, would be right there with a junkyard engine and nothing more. they will mount up to an AW4 so you could go that route. Also the getrag 238 6 speed will bolt up as well, AX15 (just take it easy!!)
Unread 10-19-2014, 08:23 AM   #14
LaddieHanus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptownTSI View Post
280hp/340lb ft. sounds like a nice task for a 5.9 swap, would be right there with a junkyard engine and nothing more. they will mount up to an AW4 so you could go that route. Also the getrag 238 6 speed will bolt up as well, AX15 (just take it easy!!)
No the 5.9 will not bolt to a aw4. Amc bellhousing pattern is not the same as a small block mopar pattern. AX15 can be used by using a v6 bellhousing from a late 90's dakota.

Also the horse power of the 5.9 is around 240. Plus the stoker is a bolt in vs welding and rewiring for a V8

97 TJ Sahara
89 YJ
2000 Dodge/Cummins Lance Camper
2004 GC Limited (Wife Jeep)
LaddieHanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #15
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

I say low mileage 4.0 swap and be done. Then if more power is needed junkyard turbo it. A few on here have gone that route with success ..

The cost initially is cheap to get you driving again and the turbo could be added later

Tags
4.7 , power , rebuild , rubicon , stroker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.