Engine shuts off while driving. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine shuts off while driving.

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
axg2003

Engine shuts off while driving.

First of all, hello, I'm new here . Looks like a great community to get involved with.

I'm having some issues as explained in the title. I drive a 2003 wrangler, no tune-ups as far as I know (bought it used). I've currently got it sitting at 68,000 miles.

I'm not sure if this is related, but a few weeks ago, my gas gauge stopped working. It always sits at empty with the dash light on. I figured it wasn't an emergency and that it was just the sensor in my tank, so I let it be. Now all of a sudden, a few days ago, my jeep's engine just shut off while driving on the hwy (about 50mph). It didn't choke, or feel like a typical stall... just smoothly stopped running. So I coasted o.ff into a parking lot, with no power steering I might add. For awhile, it wouldn't restart... the ignition seemed fine, just no juice to the engine. After about 10mins or so, I tried it again and it started up just enough for me to get home (it actually shut off right before I got to my house, but was able to coast it into the driveway.) I tried driving it again yesterday, and after about 5 mins, the same situation happened. So I got it back home, and obviously need to do something about it.

I was hoping some of you guys might have some insight. I'm certainly no mechanic, and not very knowledgeable, just enough for basic survival. Tonight I'm going to check the fuel filter for hopes of a cheap/easy fix. I just wanted to get some ideas before throwing parts at it.

Thanks,
Alex

axg2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Cranks but won't start or won't crank at all?

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
axg2003

Cranks but won't start.
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If so test fuel pressure when the jeep won't start. It should be close to 45PSI.

If you don't have a gauge, buy some staring fluid. When the Jeep won't start, spray the starting fluid into the intake tube as you crank the engine. If it starts, you are starving for fuel.

If either of these tests fail, I'd suspect your fuel pump. Either you have a bad wiring conection, broken wires or the pump assembly is going out. The assembly includes the pump, filter, and sending unit. The bad connection/short could be allong the frame, above the gas tank or in the assembly in the tank.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not terribly familiar with that particular system (yet), but I'd check the connection/wiring to the sending unit/pump before anything else...

Edit: Zen beat me to it.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

BTW, if you take the few minutes required to fill out your Jeep profile it will help the techies diagnose your Jeep issues without questions like, What engine?, What axles?, etc.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
gabriel05
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check to see if you are getting a spark. I know you said the ignition seemed fine, but checking for a spark is much easier than dropping the gas tank to mess with the fuel pump. If you do have spark, then you know it has to be something with the fuel system.
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
dann9472
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Did you get it fix,reason I ask my 2002 TJ 4.0L has 98k mile and doing the same thing. It works when it wants to then turns off without any warning.Once it's off it will cranks but wont turn,after it sit for a while it will turn on again.sometime I can go somewhere then wont turn back on.The engine lite is not on so I can't figure out what it could be. another thing I have done is when it crank but won't turn I have check if the Fuel pump is working and I can hear it .So does that mean the fuel pump is still good ? I'm reading alot that it might be CPS any idea. HELP !!
dann9472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Either go to a local shop or down to diamler-chrysler, my TJ did the same thing RIGHT when i bought it used. thought i got ripped off on such a good deal with the jeep, anyway it was a ground. The tech down at diamler told me even if a major ground is frayed or cracked over the wire housing it can and WILL result in the ground to fail. he also said if it keeps shorting without taking care of it in time, itll casue things to fail, (i.e gauges,heater,radio,speakers. etc). anyway good luck.
evan1395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Take it to a shop.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #11
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Agreed, luckily diamler did it for free, bought the jeep form them used.
took em 15 mins to locate and fix the ground, lucky? maybe idk in this guys case
evan1395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
JRostron30
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This happened to me once, I was driving along and out of nowhere I lost all power...turned out to be the battery terminals so I grabbed my pocket knife and shaved off the crap metal and worked perfectly and still does.
In a ufo i goo eeaauu
Beam me up!
JRostron30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #13
dann9472
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info .... I'm going to check the battery wire "ground" and do some cleaning, will check the ground wire on the CPS too.
dann9472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The CPS sensor is notorious for going bad. I think thats what the problem you've described.
Lots of other threads on CPS.
Good luck
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:37 AM   #15
axg2003

i would just like to add, that it was indeed the CPS. Thank you all for the help, definitely have a new member/reader among you :P

Tags
engine , shuts off , tj , wrangler , gauges

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.