Which Engine oil do you use?? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Which Engine oil do you use??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 07-01-2010, 07:15 AM   #46
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
I am. My Dad has used it for years, and has had friends who worked at Lucas. He run Lucas in the trucks that he worked on for the over 30 years. He had engines on trucks go over 1,000,000 miles (yes, 1 million) before needing any major engine work. I believe the stuff in engines. I haven't seen a reason to not use it myself.

We've used it in old motors and it has helped improve cylinder shape and give a better compression. It has also stopped some of our older engines from burning oil as well.
Did you look at the link I posted? Foamy oil should be all the reason you need.

What kind of trucks? 1 million miles is not all that outstanding for a diesel tractor (18 wheeler). 1 million miles in an F250, now that's good.

Zen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #47
MAMMOTH
Wooly Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Been running conventional Valvoline in everything for 30 years (starting with lawnmowers in my grandfather's engine shop when I was 6). Never had an issue or a reason to change.
MAMMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #48
bmaner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I run Castrol GTX 10W-30 and Purolator Pure One oil filter. I heard this oil is decent in the 4.0L
bmaner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #49
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
Did you look at the link I posted? Foamy oil should be all the reason you need.

What kind of trucks? 1 million miles is not all that outstanding for a diesel tractor (18 wheeler). 1 million miles in an F250, now that's good.
I read the link, all of it. I'm not fully convinced. I would test more oils then just what was listed. I've have never heard or seen of that problem. There are thing all over the internet saying things one way and the other.

Yes, I meant a a tractor, semi. In the case where these trucks were doing better then the others. I don't know actual numbers but I know Lucas was doing something. The other trucks weren't doing as well. I'm pretty confident in what my Dad says with him having 40+ years in the trucking industry. I also know someone personally who worked for Lucas and dealt with it first hand and he will say to use it as well.

I have much more first hand experience with Lucas to use it, rather then listen to one internet link saying not to.
Unread 07-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #50
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
I read the link, all of it. I'm not fully convinced. I would test more oils then just what was listed. I've have never heard or seen of that problem. There are thing all over the internet saying things one way and the other.

Yes, I meant a a tractor, semi. In the case where these trucks were doing better then the others. I don't know actual numbers but I know Lucas was doing something. The other trucks weren't doing as well. I'm pretty confident in what my Dad says with him having 40+ years in the trucking industry. I also know someone personally who worked for Lucas and dealt with it first hand and he will say to use it as well.

I have much more first hand experience with Lucas to use it, rather then listen to one internet link saying not to.
That's not the only Lucas test I've seen and the other arrived at the same basic conclusion.

The other issue is, how can you expect one single formulation (Lucas' Oil Stabilizer) to work properly with every single oil formulation? It can't. And if you read the advice of each of the oil manufacturers, they all (!) strongly advise against the use of such additives.

The only benefit to using such an additive is that it lines the pockets of the Lucas owners who are laughing all the way to the bank.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #51
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That's not the only Lucas test I've seen and the other arrived at the same basic conclusion.

The other issue is, how can you expect one single formulation (Lucas' Oil Stabilizer) to work properly with every single oil formulation? It can't. And if you read the advice of each of the oil manufacturers, they all (!) strongly advise against the use of such additives.

The only benefit to using such an additive is that it lines the pockets of the Lucas owners who are laughing all the way to the bank.
You make good point, but I still want to see it. I have personally never had any problems. Can you point me to some of the links that you've read?

Luckily I haven't paid for any of it. My Dad has quite a supply of different Lucas products from working for his old company.

I guess there are pros and cons to all the products. I would like to see testing of Lucas under the circumstances I usually encounter with it.
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #52
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

81958548.ruywd6ih.youanleadahorsetowat.jpg  
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #53
couesfanatic
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
please don't...

If you must: Go to your local mopar dealer and buy mopar combustion chamber cleaner. Follow the instructions on the can or the ones in the MCCC TSB.
Why whats the differnce?
couesfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #54
Esoom74
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i run mobil 1 10w-30 oil and filter
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #55
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschviuz View Post
It's the internet for ya!

Bottom line is I don't like the test he ran in the previous link. It was not done with few enough variables. An oil that aerated before Lucas is still going to aerate with Lucas, and it aerated more because he turned up the speed.

I could go into a long debate with someone, but it's not going to accomplish anything here.

Last edited by DaleII; 07-01-2010 at 12:16 PM..
DaleII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #56
530ktm
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I use Valvoline 10w30 and nothing else in my Jeep. I live in So. Cal. All oil is good oil in my opinion.
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #57
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by couesfanatic View Post
Why whats the differnce?
MCCC enters the engine as a foam. (read compressable) Seafoam enters as a liquid. Liquids are noncompressable. If you overload the engine what happens?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #58
steamnsteel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

That horse ain't drink'n either!
steamnsteel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #59
srlbotanical
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm also a Valvoline fan. I use 10w-30 dino oil in the jeep. I like to change the oil every 3K becuase of the water, dust, mud, etc...

HIGHER POWERED!!
srlbotanical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #60
rottenrobert
2006 LJ Wrangler 

10w 30 pennzoil here and a napa gold or wix filter. I also heard that wix makes napa's filters.

I think a good quality filter is more important then the oil if choosing form the name brand dino oil.

One time I pulled the drain plug and took old filter off. While oil was drianing I went to get new filter ready. Opened 1qt of oil to lube the seal. Opened box and removed filter and was shocked to find orange paint flecks inside of filterWTF:confu sed: I couldn't believe it. The worst part was I had no way of getting to the store to take it back. Had to wait till my wife got home from work.

Needless to say that was the last fram filter I ever bought. And when I buy filters I check them before I leave the store.

I also noticed a change in the color and odor of the oil with a better filter.
rottenrobert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine oil , oil , maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.