Which Engine oil do you use?? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Which Engine oil do you use??

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #31
FL 4.0L

My last OCI I ran a Fram filter that I got as part of an Advance promotion with Valvoline Oil. There is definitely a difference in the color of that oil after 3K miles as compared to after using a NAPA Gold filter. It looks like there is tons more carbon or some other black particulate in the used oil. When I drain the oil after using a NAPA Gold filter, there is reddish/brown look to the oil. I have no idea if this actually translates into more engine protection. I run the NAPA filter for the better anti-drainback valve for just a little more money.

Unread 06-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #32
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
I used to run Rotella T in that weight until they reduced the ZDDP content. Are you sure the Delo still sports it? That weight is typically spec'd for diesels and those levels of ZDDP are DPF killers.

Nice sig BTW
The latest version of Delo 400 is what they call the "LE" version for low emission vehicles. Here is a spec sheet on it http://www.dooilco.com/pdf/Motor%20O...0%2015w-40.pdf Its Zinc and Phosphorous are 1300 and 1200 ppm respectively.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #33
00SilverstoneTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ive been using mobil 1 since i got my rig. dunno if i can tell you that its better or worse but my car seems to run perfectly. then only downside is that mobil 1 is priccccey!
00SilverstoneTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #34
Smitty98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone run havoline, the guy i bought the jeep from used this and i'm about to hit 23,000 miles so its about time to change the oil and filter
Smitty98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 07:31 AM   #35
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If it's SAE rated (SL and SM are the current ratings) it will be fine/great for 99% of people. Switching from one to the other will not produce positive effects. Don't add any mystery oils, oil stabilizers, or other wizardry, you don't really know what it will do to the engineered addative packages that are in the oil.

In the OP's case he is not 99% of the poulation. So far his Jeep has seen about 3500 miles per year. If he uses a quality synthetic oil and changes it once a year (12 months), he will likely save money over doing 4 conventional oil changes (every 900 miles and 3 months) per year. The combustion byproducts that get suspended in the oil cause it to oxidize and break down, so even with so few miles driven, dino oil would need to be changed too often to save him money.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #36
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Does anyone else here run Lucas? We run it in any of the vehicles we maintain ourselves. It's a good product that works.
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #37
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
Does anyone else here run Lucas? We run it in any of the vehicles we maintain ourselves. It's a good product that works.
I hope you're not talking about Lucas Oil Stabilizer, are you?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #38
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I don't run Lucas, here's why...

What about Additives?
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #39
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
I don't run Lucas, here's why...

What about Additives?
Very interesting. I ran lucas in my truck one oil change a while back and noticed quickly that the oil pressure went up about 10psi....not that I needed it to. Note, I don't run it anymore in any of my vehicles. I use castrol and castrol high mileage in my truck that has 120,000 miles on it. To be honest I have always used castrol mainly because I remember, as a kid, my dad always bought it. It has served me well over the years.
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #40
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

i run quaker state, i really have no reason why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #41
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I hope you're not talking about Lucas Oil Stabilizer, are you?
I am. My Dad has used it for years, and has had friends who worked at Lucas. He run Lucas in the trucks that he worked on for the over 30 years. He had engines on trucks go over 1,000,000 miles (yes, 1 million) before needing any major engine work. I believe the stuff in engines. I haven't seen a reason to not use it myself.

We've used it in old motors and it has helped improve cylinder shape and give a better compression. It has also stopped some of our older engines from burning oil as well.
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #42
NoVaHunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I run Mobile 1 5w-30 Synthetic and a generic brand filter.
Unread 06-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #43
couesfanatic
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I run Mobil 1 fully synthetic in my Chevrolet Colorado. Just got back into the wrangler scene again. I plan on running Valvoline 10 w 30 regular. After a nice seafoam of course. lol
couesfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #44
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pennzoil yellow bottle 10-30 in everything, I change oil every 5-7k with a new oil filter. Bean doing this for many many years and never had a oil related problem.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #45
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by couesfanatic View Post
After a nice seafoam of course. lol
please don't...

If you must: Go to your local mopar dealer and buy mopar combustion chamber cleaner. Follow the instructions on the can or the ones in the MCCC TSB.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.