Which Engine oil do you use?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Which Engine oil do you use??

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #16
Peezi
1998 TJ Wrangler 

10w-30 synthetic here, I noticed an immediate improvement in gas mileage when I started using it when the engine had about 70k miles on her, now up to 190k and engine still runs great. I take several weekend trips to the mountains during the winter so extreme cold starts are common for meh. Despite the comments above, I can get 5 quarts of the stuff for about $6 more than non-synthetic @ WalMart, that's really not that much more and I feel more comfortable letting her go 5-6k between oil changes instead of 3-4k like I used to do, so it is actually cheaper. I hear you can do 8k+ in a 12 month period if you really want to live on the edge.

Peezi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #17
shotgunsmith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Mobil 1 10-30 in the Jeep
Mobil 1 0-20 for guns
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #18
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Royal Purple 10w-30 and filter
purplepig is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #19
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I run Chevron Delo 15W-40 oil in my 4.0. Can't beat 1300 ppm of Zinc and 1200 ppm of Phosphorus for $10 a gallon. That and a Mobil One oil filter.

I've tired several oils in my 4.0 and the Delo by far gives the lowest levels of metals in the oil on a used oil analysis.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #20
FL 4.0L

Valvoline 10W-30 dino from Wal-Mart. It is the only item I purchase there on a regular basis.
Unread 06-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #21
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
I run Chevron Delo 15W-40 oil in my 4.0. Can't beat 1300 ppm of Zinc and 1200 ppm of Phosphorus for $10 a gallon. That and a Mobil One oil filter.

I've tired several oils in my 4.0 and the Delo by far gives the lowest levels of metals in the oil on a used oil analysis.

FOG
I used to run Rotella T in that weight until they reduced the ZDDP content. Are you sure the Delo still sports it? That weight is typically spec'd for diesels and those levels of ZDDP are DPF killers.

Nice sig BTW
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #22
z9phrolf
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I live in Michigan so it's Valvoline 10w-30 dino in the summer and Valvoline 5w-30 dino in the winter with STP S8A oil filter for extended capacity on all three of my 4.0L's. I also change the filter with every oil change.

99 xj - 252,500 miles (every 5,000)
03 wj - 176,000 miles (every 5,000-6,000)
97 tj - 119,000 miles (every 3,000)

Like FL 4.0L I also purchase the Valvoline at Wal-mart. A 5 qt. jug there is the same price as a 4 qt. jug at AutoZone/Pep Boys/etc.
z9phrolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #23
02OlllllllOTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

just switched to mobil 1 10w-30. 6 quarts and a mobil 1 oil filter cost 62 bucks! ouch!
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #24
phillies4752
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

What do you guys think about penzoil 10W 30? Ive been using that for the past couple years. I like it but i never hear anyone use it.
phillies4752 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #25
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Personally, I don't have any problems with Penzoil. People debate the particulars and the minutiae of oil on a constant basis...and for me, the bottom line is this: they all work well when used properly. I've run Penzoil before and never noticed any problems from it.

I can't say much about the 2.5, but the 4.0 was designed in an era when our cheapest, most crap-tastic oils would have been considered state of the art. It's a very tolerant beast...as are most engines. Thus, I believe that dino oil, a good filter (I've even used Fram and never killed an engine...my stars!), and changing both regularly will serve you well.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #26
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlllllllllO View Post
What do you guys think about penzoil 10W 30? Ive been using that for the past couple years. I like it but i never hear anyone use it.
Pennzoil earned a bad reputation for sludge years ago so not many have forgotten it. But that problem went away something like 15 years ago when they went to their PureBase product that dropped the use of paraffin that was the cause of the previous sludge problem. With that long-ago change to their base, their engine oil has been as good as anyone's for many years now.

I'd run Pennzoil without a second thought if I couldn't buy Valvoline any more.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #27
phillies4752
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

that makes me feel a lot better Jerry!! thanks!! I plan on trying out Valvoline during my next oil change to see how much of a difference it is. I have also heard good reviews on the Napa Gold Oil filters. Do you have any experience with them?
Unread 06-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #28
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlllllllllO View Post
I have also heard good reviews on the Napa Gold Oil filters. Do you have any experience with them?
I use them and love them. They're just a Wix filter, which is a very good filter. My LJ is very happy with Valvoline 10W-30 Dino and the Napa gold filter. I also ran that oil and filter on my TJ before it got totaled and it gave me 180k trouble free miles.
Unread 06-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #29
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Swapping from one good major brand of engine oil to another good major brand of engine oil isn't going to produce results you will notice. Those that claim they immediately noticed better mpg, power, etc. by changing to some particular brand or type of motor oil are just victims of the Placebo Effect.

I don't know for sure who makes NAPA oil filters but I believe they are made for NAPA by Wix which is a very good brand of oil filter. Personally, I stick with either Purolator PureOne or AC-Delco Duraguard oil filters but Wix is among the "good" brands that are good to use.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #30
phillies4752
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

right now im using Mobil 1 as my oil filter and have a little bit of oil seepage. I checked to make sure it was on tight and it is. I thought Mobil 1 was known to have good filters/seals

Tags
engine oil , oil , maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.