Engine Leaning towards driver side - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Leaning towards driver side

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Kahu
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Engine Leaning towards driver side

Howdy Fellaz. I was driving home a few nights ago on the freeway and I heard a bang and thought I might have hit something laying in the road. When I got to my exit and stopped, I noticed the shifter was stuck in 5th. I drove in 5th really slow two blocks to my apartment. I got under the jeep and looked at the shifter from below and I could see that it was being sandwiched to one side.
I looked online and saw someone had a similar problem and fixed it by replacing his transmission mount.

I had looked under my hood and noticed that my engine was leaning towards the drivers side, but figured it was just the weight of the transfer case binding the motor mount bushings. I dropped the skid and saw that my transmission mount was pretty much blown apart, so I went ahead and replaced it.
I got everything back together and I am now able to put it into neutral, but it wont shift into 1st or 2nd. I looked under the hood and noticed that the engine is still leaning towards the driver side. The motor mount bushings look fine. What would cause the engine to lean besides the motor mounts?

Kahu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Is the motor mount still bolted to the engine block?...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Kahu
1997 TJ Wrangler 

oh crap. Just looked underneath and I can see 3 bolts sheared off. How would I go about fixing that? dang!
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahu View Post
oh crap. Just looked underneath and I can see 3 bolts sheared off. How would I go about fixing that? dang!
Start by looking at the engine block to see if the motor mount bolt holes are broken out...
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Kahu
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Start by looking at the engine block to see if the motor mount bolt holes are broken out...
Im not exactly sure what you mean, but the holes in the engine block seem to be intact. The bolts themselves are broken off into the engine block. I edited my previous post with a picture.
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahu View Post
Im not exactly sure what you mean, but the holes in the engine block seem to be intact. The bolts themselves are broken off into the engine block. I edited my previous post with a picture.
I would check to see if you can turn what remains of the bolts, try tapping them with a small punch and hammer to see if they will move (rotate)?

Great picture by the way...
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thats not going to be a fun job.........Id be looking at replacing BOTH side mounting bolts too.......the other side could very easily be compromised as well if they are all thats holding the engine up.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

http://browndogindustries.com/S2572-...nting-Kit.aspx
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
Kahu
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ouch. Im gonna have to sell my kayak to fund this project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.