Engine Jack Point Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Jack Point Question

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 06-02-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Engine Jack Point Question - Update

Going to put in my BL & BMML tomorrow (it's been sitting around way too long). Body lift looks like no real big deal, but on the JKS BMML instructions it says to use the oil pan as a motor jack point - with a board to spread the wieght across the oil pan.

My question, would I be better to use a board & lift between the auto trans and the block ? If mine were a manual, would most likely use the bellhousing. Just wondering which makes more sence.

Mike

Last edited by 95BadBoy; 06-03-2007 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Update
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing wrong with using the oil pan, just use a 2x4 to distribute the weight evenly.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rocky529

Sounds good, I guess I'll cut a chunk and get with the program tomorrow.
Unread 06-02-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
Snakedoc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was kinda worried about useing the pan and 2x4 but it worked great.

Start on the pass side it`s easier

Drivers side you may have to remove the mount from the block if you have air or take a dremel and grind alittle off the flange on the bolt head.

Don`t forget to loosen the tranny bolts on the bottom of the skid the directions may not day this but it needs to be done.

2004 TJ ~ 4.0L ~ 4sp Auto ~ D30/D35 w/3.73`s ~ 33 X 12.5 BFG M/T
2.25 BB ~ 1.25 BL ~ 1 BMML
1st mod. I like big jugs but they had to go
My jeep web page
Black Jeep Club Member #2188

Snakedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
PackMan

Location: Home of the Super Bowl XLI Champion Indianapolis Colts
I lifted as much as I could from the tranny, but it wasn't enough. In the end, you'll need to use the pan at least for part of this.

I invested in an 8' piece of 4x4 soft pine, and cut it into various pieces. Use it all the time, on the floor jack and across a pair of jack stands.
[SIZE="1"][I]OME 2.5" (930 front, 942 rear), Daystar 3/4" front spacers, OME N66/N67 shocks, JKS adj track bars, JKS BBL, JKS BMML, really cool toddler booster seats,
Jeeperman bumpers and rockers, IPF 968, Cobra 75WX CB, sPod switches, Cheerios under the rear seat, Skid Row engine and steering box, MORE steering
shaft lift, crayon marks on the sport bar, Napa SC2928 steering stabilzer, Warn xd9000i winch, something that smells bad on the passenger side rear
fender that a child probably had something to do with, HiLift jack, a .357 Magnum S&W, and an Indianapolis Colts SBXLI World Champion window sticker. [/I][/SIZE]
PackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Drivers side you may have to remove the mount from the block if you have air or take a dremel and grind alittle off the flange on the bolt head.

Don`t forget to loosen the tranny bolts on the bottom of the skid the directions may not day this but it needs to be done.
Thanks Billllll - I did read that on 4x4explor site.

Quote:
I invested in an 8' piece of 4x4 soft pine, and cut it into various pieces. Use it all the time, on the floor jack and across a pair of jack stands.
PackMan - I'm also in the process of trying to finish my garage, only one small chunk of 4x4 - but lots of 2x4 pieces.
Unread 06-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Update

Body lift was an absolute walk in the park. About 90 min which included time for coffee & a sandwich.

That drivers side BMML w/AC really kicked my arse !! Wrestled with that one side for almost 2hrs start to finish. The fun factor was pretty low with that side. Passenger side was like 30 min.

That useing a 2x4 thing for lifting the motor via the oil pan did work - but ------- there has to be a better way -- did end up denting in the pan slightly. And for those wondering, no I did not crank on the jack like a madman.

Finally got that out of the way.
Unread 06-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBoy
Body lift was an absolute walk in the park. About 90 min which included time for coffee & a sandwich.

That drivers side BMML w/AC really kicked my arse !! Wrestled with that one side for almost 2hrs start to finish. The fun factor was pretty low with that side. Passenger side was like 30 min.

That useing a 2x4 thing for lifting the motor via the oil pan did work - but ------- there has to be a better way -- did end up denting in the pan slightly. And for those wondering, no I did not crank on the jack like a madman.

Finally got that out of the way.
The driver side wasnt that bad for me, I just took off the Bracket on the motor, 3 bolts. Much easier to get to than the bolts going into the chassis through the mount were.
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.