Engine dies then restarts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine dies then restarts

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 02-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
outdrsman
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Engine dies then restarts

Help, I have an 01 wrangler. Last week I was driving down the highway and my Jeep died I let off the gas and it restarted on it's own. It now does this everytime I start down the highway. No code comes up to check. If I pump the gas or let off it will restart it self and drive fine. I'm thinking it might be the fuel pump going bad, but not sure.

outdrsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Since your thinking fuel, then check the pressure at the fuel rail.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
outdrsman
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok ,I will. Thanks
outdrsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

My '97 had very similar symptoms for a few weeks, then died completely. It was weather senstive.

Replaced plugs, ignition coil, distributor cap, rotor, distributor, (destroyed the distributor trying to remove the cap... stupid Chrysler screws) and the problem went away.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
bozonono
1996 TJ Wrangler 

i have a 97 4l that cuts out when i go over a shrp bump with frint right wheel firset time a new rotor stopped it now guages die check dash light comes on. it is a split second thing. seems like something elec is loose. only engine and engine related elecs die out. lights and radio stay on though new heater fan dies also
bozonono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
w261w261

Fuel filter?
w261w261 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
bozonono
1996 TJ Wrangler 

hiccup

at 200k+ it could be anything!! if its fuel filter then the fuel pump might be shorting sincethere is an electrical compnent to all of this. out of curiosity i took it to the local jeep dealer and they were totally confounded. coulndt find anything on theri computer eg. theres nothing wrong. fortunately i do have a garage that has experienced it and is really resonable and competent.

i love my jeepand want to keep it running.
bozonono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozonono View Post
i have a 97 4l that cuts out when i go over a shrp bump with frint right wheel firset time a new rotor stopped it now guages die check dash light comes on. it is a split second thing. seems like something elec is loose. only engine and engine related elecs die out. lights and radio stay on though new heater fan dies also
Disconnect your battery then disconnect everything under the hood that is an electrical plug and coat pins with dielectric grease and give that a whirl.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.