Engine cutting out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine cutting out

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-23-2006, 05:50 AM   #1
mojorizn1

Engine cutting out

I am a long time jeep owner. This is my 4th. A '98 4cyl. with 109,000 miles on it. My problem started last summer, and has recently gotten worse.

The engine will just cut out, for only a second. Like it is getting no gas. Then it is fine. Only recently when it does it, it does it 2-3 times in rapid succession. Any gear, any time.

Could it be the fuel pump? Clogged catalytic (sp?) converter? How would I check these items?

Thanks

mojorizn1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
Dukes69

sounds like what happened to me when my fuel pump strainer, or pre-filter, got plugged. Try replacing that and good luck. OH, btw, the strainer is not available at the dealer, try your local parts place.
AIM: Dukes69

Ya Savvy?
Dukes69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cuts out.....I would venture a guess towards the ignition side of the equation.

Fuel, air, and spark....you need all three. IMO, loss of spark is much more like a light switch being turned off and then back on. I honestly don't think a fuel filter has as much change of plugging up and then unplugging like that and cause your engine to cut out.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2006, 01:36 AM   #4
JeepGal
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It happens because as the fuel tank gets low, the concentration of debris in the fuel get worse. The more fuel in the tank, the less likely the problem will occur, but as the strainer gets more and more clogged, it will happen regardless of the fuel level.

If nothing else works for you, let the tank get low, drop the tank, pull out the fuel filter, and remove the strainer. Post back here with pics, Im curious if its the same problem.

Tam
Unread 07-01-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
bittleloylube

Engine also cutting out

I have noticed the same thing. But it seems to happen after I have driven around 12-15 miles on interstate @ 70-75 mph. Does your check engine light come on when this happens. When it started I replaced plugs, wires, rotor and distributor, problem still occurs. Although I have not figured out the fix, I have found that if I engage the clutch and coast for a few seconds, enough to let the rpm drop, I do not have the problem--I do this when I've driven about 6-7 miles.

Am curious if anyone else has had sim response, and what the problem is.

Thanks, JEff
bittleloylube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Try the forward o2 sensor. It is notorious for causing the engine to buck like that. On the 98 6cyl I used to have it would buck like it wasn't getting gas. It would do it shortly after driving off after starting. The bucking would stop (from what I remember) after bucking a few times. Changed the o2 sensor and the problem went away. This also seems to be common after having a cracked exhaust manifold. So if it turns out to be the o2 sensor you may want to check the manifold for cracks.
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2006, 10:24 PM   #7
bittleloylube

Great!

Did have to replace the exhaust manifold, and problem started after it had cracked.

Thanks for the help.
bittleloylube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2006, 10:27 PM   #8
Muddy Tj Zack

One of those gadgets that actually works....Fuel Injector cleaner. Will do wonders. Advance Auto has Valvoline Synthetic buy one get one free, try it out. It works. Mine was doing as you described but so bad to the point were it didnt want to move anymore. Run great 5,000 miles later!!
'97 Tj Sport, 4.6L Stroker, 5-Speed, 4-in suspension lift, 35" TrXus M/t's, Dana30/Ford 8.8 w/ Aussie Locker, Teraflex ExtremeShort SYE, custom front and rear bumpers, Flowmaster Off-road Series, and a bunch of other goodies........MoPar or No-Car!!!
Muddy Tj Zack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2006, 11:35 PM   #9
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittleloylube
Did have to replace the exhaust manifold, and problem started after it had cracked.

Thanks for the help.
Like I said, the o2 sensor going bad is VERY common after having a cracked manifold. Let us know if this fixes it.
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #10
TAS
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mine did that very thing a while back. Turned out to be the CPS (crank Position Sensor). It would be running fine then, just cut out for a sec or two then, it would be back to running fine. I just unplugged it, cleaned it and plugged it back in.

Tow rig - 12 F-350 4x4
TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
livelarg

Soooo.. Where is the crank position sensor?

Thanks
livelarg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
(Black_Jeep)
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Check this out then if you have no idea where its at.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/cps.htm
Unread 08-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #13
livelarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Black_Jeep) View Post
Check this out then if you have no idea where its at.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/cps.htm
Thanks for the info. I was looking at a bunch of other posts and found people with the exact same symptoms. One suggestion was to disconnect eh upper o2 sensor. I did it and the jeep is running perfect. So I am going to put in a new o2 sensor, and hopefully all will be well.

Thanks
livelarg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.