Engine cutout problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine cutout problems

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 11-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
mace687

Engine cutout problems

I have a 2006 4.0 TJ. Recently my check engine light came on and now I have problems revving past 2450 rpms. Usually this happens after the engine has warmed up and I have driven a few miles. It doesn't matter if the jeep is moving or not, or what gear it is in. If the engine goes past 2450rpms it will cut out and then cut back in again around 2300 rpms. The strange thing is that while the cutting in and out is consistent at 2450rpms, sometimes the problem will go away for a few minutes even after the engine is warm. The check engine light will disappear and the engine will rev as normal through all gears. If I hit the throttle hard the check engine light will immediately come back on and the problem returns.
I took it to an auto parts store and had the diagnostics check run. It only gave one code (I do not know the number) which sad bad camshaft position sensor. I bought the part, replaced it, unhooked the battery for ten minutes, and still the problem persists. I have read many forums but can't find a problem that is similar enough to this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

mace687 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm ... Because of the code you get ( otherwise I would not go that far ) :
Search for " OPDA fogmod " in the forum.
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
mace687

Thanks, this was the first I have heard of this problem. My jeep falls just outside the manufacturing dates in the recall so i'm not sure if its the problem or not. I am nervous to even take it out to check it.
Any other thoughts? Is it possible my jeep is in some kind of fail safe mode? This seems to make sense because its enough rpms to get anywhere, but not enough to cause serious damage if there is something else wrong.
mace687 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 12:23 AM   #4
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

No recall & no manufacturing dates for failing OPDAs. All '05 & '06s use the same OPDA & they are known to have problems. Some have shaft binding which can cause excessive gear wear. Some don't have binding but still have excessive gear wear, others (some would say most) have no problems at all. No one knows what causes these differences although there are a number of theories.

I don't know what code you are getting but if it is cam position related that can mean that the gear has worn enough to retard the OPDA beyond tolerance & throwing the code. I would call that critical. If the gear fails you lose oil pressure & possible other engine damage. Read the first page here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/ I believe the code is P0016. It is putting you into limp mode but that won't really protect you if the gear fails.

To read your own codes turn the key (without starting) on-off-on-off-on & read the code in the odometer display. Clear them (it) disconnect the battery for a couple minutes. I would pull your OPDA or have it done. The link I gave will direct you on how do it yourself if you choose.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.0 liter , cam position sensor , problems , revving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.