Engine cut out for a few seconds while driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine cut out for a few seconds while driving

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 02-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
BRBurns

Engine cut out for a few seconds while driving

My 99 TJ, 6cyl auto, has just developed a new bad habbit. I will be driving down the road at 50-60 and the engine will cut out on all cylenders for maybe 1 to 3seconds. Then it comes back on like nothing happend. It is very intermitant. I did notice one time that the tach dropped to 0 when it did this, but the engine was still turning. I figgure this must indicate an electrical problem. All lights, accessorys, and gauges stay on. It seems to have plenty of power the rest of the time. Anyone have any ideas?

BRBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
BlazinJack
2006 TJ Wrangler 

it isnt at high RPM is it? the Jeeps have a rev limiter. i believe they cut the spark but i could be wrong about that.
Colorado Jeep Club #145!!
Black Jeep Society
BlazinJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
BRBurns

No, it's turning 2500 to 2800 when this happens.
Unread 02-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
BlazinJack
2006 TJ Wrangler 

then it def. sounds like an electrical problem. id check the battery terminals. take them off and clean them, even if they dont look dirty or corroded. then id check the engine to chassis ground. mines on the pass side about half way down the block towards the back of the block. it grounds to the firewall and directly to the battery. check and clean those connections.
also, are there any codes or check engine lights assoc. with this?
only other thing i can think of is the computer is getting and intermittant RPM signal from (the sensor that reports rpm, i dont know which on or ones that is other than distributor)) and shutting down for a spit second?
Black Jeep Society
Unread 02-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a bad camshaft sensor.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
BRBurns

I was thinking it may be the casmshaft sensor. I'm trying to avoid just throwing parts at it. I wish a check engin light would come on so I could get codes, but no such luck. If there are codes to be read the light comes on, right?
Unread 02-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
BlazinJack
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i thought that as well, but does he have a cam shaft sensor if hes got a distributor? if so, where is it?
Black Jeep Society
Unread 02-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
lizard20
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem!!!!!!! I was just informed today by my mechanic friend, that it needs a computer.
It has been doing this for over a year, but we could never get it to do it frequently enough to diagnose. Finally it has gotten worse, and He notified a friend at Jeep with his diagnostics, and was told the engine computer is bad. (dealership part only). I guess I will call Jeep to see how much they are going to rip me off for this part! I'll keep you informed.

Christian Jeep Club Member #65
lizard20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
Jeep25
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Same thing happened to my 99 4.0 2 weeks ago.

I just threw in some FI cleaner and so far it's been good.
Jeep25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
hulkboy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard20 View Post
I have the same problem!!!!!!! I was just informed today by my mechanic friend, that it needs a computer.
It has been doing this for over a year, but we could never get it to do it frequently enough to diagnose. Finally it has gotten worse, and He notified a friend at Jeep with his diagnostics, and was told the engine computer is bad. (dealership part only). I guess I will call Jeep to see how much they are going to rip me off for this part! I'll keep you informed.
plan on spending around 620 for the computer and another 400 for the labor...

got mine replaced about a month ago..

also i had this problem the OP is talking about today in traffic.. dont think its computer or camshaft related b/c i had both those replaced a month ago.. i could be wrong though.. maybe one of my newly aquired parts are faulty or failing on me..

i would like to hear more ideas..
hulkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBurns View Post
I wish a check engin light would come on so I could get codes, but no such luck. If there are codes to be read the light comes on, right?
Nope....you can have codes without a light, at least on my '98 you can. The light comes on when the trouble causes an emissions related problem with the engine. Other model years may be different but I kind of doubt it. Of course, it still may have no code stored either.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
willness33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, just a thought on these issues since I've seen them before. Check the wires going to the CPS and make sure they haven't melted through or chaffed from rubbing the manifold. I've seen it happen and had a hell of a time diagnosing it on a friend's jeep.
willness33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
ltbald1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So did the computer end up solving the problem??? I am having the same issue!!! Please update the post with the repair!!! This is driving me up the wall!!!

HELP!!
ltbald1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #14
lizard20
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't replaced the computer yet on my Jeep, but mine is still doing the samething the OP's is doing. I really wish there was a simple solution!

Christian Jeep Club Member #65
lizard20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #15
bosoxfan455
1998 TJ Wrangler 

im gonna say its a throttle position sensor issue, feels like you just let off the gas but worse. is it only on the highway at the same speed/rpm?

i would start by getting codes read to give you a little direction but the tps wouldnt surprise me
bosoxfan455 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.