Engine Coolent boiling over (red in color) & Brake Fire - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Coolent boiling over (red in color) & Brake Fire

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 04-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #16
77351wcj5
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Rotors will warp from a number of things, including overtorque. Ever hit the brake pedal and have the steering wheel shake like a wet dog?

77351wcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #17
PlaneJob
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Has anybody (you or your 'mechanic') recently added any fluids to your 'engine'? If so, what was added and where was it added?

In addition to a seized caliper causing your issues you could also have a swollen brake hose that is preventing the caliper from releasing.

The coolant... flush your radiator and heater, get a new radiator cap (even if your old one looks fine) and refill it with NEW clean fluid from a sealed bottle - if you get the undiluted antifreeze be sure to cut it with distilled water, not spring water or tap water.
PlaneJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #18
chris4jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help guys... AND BTW i might have mixed the 2 diff engine coolant..... got some work ahead of me, thanks
Unread 04-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #19
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Why do you say you might have? Did you or did you not? If you did you have to drain it, flush it out REALLY good and refill with correct fluid.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #20
Vinman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Fix you brakes before messing with the cooling system.
It is entirely possible the the overheating is caused by the excessive load the stuck caliper is putting on the engine just to move the Jeep.

Think about it for a second, it's like driving with one foot on the accelerator and the other pressing on the brake pedal.

Vince
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #21
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

why is the coolant red??? it can not be that rusty... sounds like someone mixed wrong coolants... you need to at least pull the lower hose and drain all that mess out... replace with 50/50 premixed antifreeze, check t stat and water pump, make sure radiator is not clogged with mud or blocked somewhere, check fan clutch and drive and see if that helps... 83 in atl is not hot yet at all...

brakes: caliper bit the dust... replace both sides at a time and this would be a good time to get new rotors and pads and call it done!
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #22
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
It is entirely possible the the overheating is caused by the excessive load the stuck caliper is putting on the engine just to move the Jeep.

Think about it for a second, it's like driving with one foot on the accelerator and the other pressing on the brake pedal.

Vince

I agree that the brake issue (stuck caliper) has placed additional load on the engine/drivetrain, but that shouldn't cause it to overheat. I would believe there's a cooling problem too that reared it's head with extra load. Any bets on the cooling issue?

Radiator Cap
Cooling Fan
Water Pump
Clogged/Mixed/Ignored Coolant

I'll put $5 on the Cooling Fan
Unread 04-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #23
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529
Why do you say you might have? Did you or did you not? If you did you have to drain it, flush it out REALLY good and refill with correct fluid.
And do it ASAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman
While I def agree that the brakes have to be addressed, I would contend that the cooling system (at least the flush and fill) is the priority; mixing any other type of coolant with HOAT causes rather caustic chemical reactions that are extremely bad for our engines' guts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4
why is the coolant red???
Red/pink/orange is the correct color, the color of Zerex G-05 and Mopar HOAT coolant that is called for in his '04.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #24
chris4jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced the Caliper... 20 bucks and did it myself so im happy with that..... And new coolent.... has fixed that too. But now behinde the brake where that side ways U shaped thing is that holds the whole tire there is the axe and a little plastic cap like thing.... It was stuck out and I guess axle grease (gray in color) was leaking slowly out.... I got a hammer and screwdriver and hammered it back in to place as best I can. It has stoped the leak but is still out a little bit. IDK how this happend. I need to get a better angle at it so i can knock it all the way back into place. (the rotor is in the way....
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #25
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4jeep View Post
Replaced the Caliper... 20 bucks and did it myself so im happy with that..... And new coolent.... has fixed that too. But now behinde the brake where that side ways U shaped thing is that holds the whole tire there is the axe and a little plastic cap like thing.... It was stuck out and I guess axle grease (gray in color) was leaking slowly out.... I got a hammer and screwdriver and hammered it back in to place as best I can. It has stoped the leak but is still out a little bit. IDK how this happend. I need to get a better angle at it so i can knock it all the way back into place. (the rotor is in the way....
The plastic thing is just a dust shield, its not a seal. Axle seals on the D30 are in the diff. If you are leaking gear oil you will need to replace them there. Messing with the dust shield not fixing anything.
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #26
merkchop
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you have the fluid coming out from the axle, make sure you check your fluid in the front diff.
If you sunk it in water it may be contaminated and over full or if you have not, and it has leaked through the seal, then you are most likely low on fluid.
merkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #27
jr03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If radiator fluid leaves an oily residue in overflow bottle and fluid color gets darker, dirty looking, it's possible to have an internal leak in radiator trans cooler if equipped. Had that happen on a Dodge truck. Sounds more likely only the flush and coolant change were needed
jr03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes , coolant

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.